Spurred by power shutoffs that have led
to tragedy, groups from across JHM came together and took action.
From left, Dave Nichols, Heather Barthel, Lew Romer and Joanne Pollak.
To save children, Hopkins turns up the
heat on Maryland’s energy policy
One morning in December 2003, David Nichols arrived in the pediatric
intensive care unit to find the team assembled at the bedside
of a an 11-year-old boy. He had been burned so severely that although
he was African American, he appeared to be white. His body was
bloated to two or three times its normal size, his face so swollen
that the PICU team, unable to get a breathing tube into his mouth,
was performing an emergency tracheotomy.
The next day the boy died, as did his younger brother. Both had
been trapped in a burning row house. Their power had been shut
off, and the family had resorted to lighting the home with candles.