Simon Roderick Alfred Best, MDTitle(s):
Education and Experience
- Yale University School of Medicine (New Haven CT)/ (2006)
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Baltimore MD)/ Otolaryngology (2011)
- Massachusetts General Hospital (Boston MA)/ Otolaryngology (2012)
- Otolaryngology, American Board of Otolaryngology (2012)
- Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- Johns Hopkins Voice Center
Dr. Best''s primary research focus is the immunobiology of recurrent respiratory papillomatosis (RRP) and the development of novel immunotherapies to target the underlying viral infection. This research is conducted in collaboration with the Head and Neck cancer and Cervical cancer research groups at Johns Hopkins who also study HPV-related diseases.
- Glottic Stenosis
- Laryngeal Disorders
- Laryngeal Papilloma
- Laryngeal Stenosis
- Laryngeal Surgery
- Vocal Cord Paralysis
- Voice Problems
Best SR, Starmer HM, Agrawal Y, Chien WW, Hillel AT, Francis HW, Tamargo RJ, Akst LM. Risk factors for vagal palsy following cerebellopontine angle surgery. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012 Mar 23.
Starmer HM, Best SR, Agrawal Y, Chien WW, Hillel AT, Francis HW, Tamargo RJ, Akst LM. Prevalence, characteristics, and management of swallowing disorders following cerebellopontine angle surgery. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2011 Nov 18.
Best SR, Ha PK, Blanco RG, Saunders JR Jr, Zinreich ES, Levine MA, Pai SI, Walker M, Trachta J, Ulmer K, Murakami P, Thompson R, Califano JA, Messing BP. Factors associated with pharyngoesophageal stricture in patients treated with concurrent chemotherapy and radiation therapy for oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma. Head Neck. 2011 Dec;33(12):1727-34.
Best SR, Fakhry C. The prevalence, diagnosis, and management of voice disorders in a National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey (NAMCS) cohort. Laryngoscope. 2011 Jan;121(1):150-7.
Peng S, Best SR, Hung CF, Loyo M, Lyford-Pike S, Flint PW, Tunkel DE, Saunders JR, Wu TC, Pai SI. Characterization of human papillomavirus type 11-specific immune responses in a preclinical model. Laryngoscope. 2010 Mar;120(3):504-10.
Best SR, Peng S, Juang CM, Hung CF, Hannaman D, Saunders JR, Wu TC, Pai SI. Administration of HPV DNA vaccine via electroporation elicits the strongest CD8+ T cell immune responses compared to intramuscular injection and intradermal gene gun delivery. Vaccine 2009 Sep 4;27(40):5450-9.
- Voice and swallowing outcomes following skull base surgery
- Development of novel therapeutic treatments for Recurrent Respiratory Papillomatosis (RRP)
- Immunobiology of Recurrent Respiratory Papillomatosis (RRP)