Education and Experience
- Tulane University School of Medicine (New Orleans LA)/ (2006)
- University of Maryland Medical System (Baltimore MD)/ Internal Medicine (2009)
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Baltimore MD)/ General Internal Medicine (2012)
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine (2009)
Medicine - Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Medicine - General Internal Medicine
- Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology, and Clinical Research
In her practice, Dr. Gudzune uses an integrative approach to design weight management plans that blend conventional methods of diet, exercise and medications with other modalities such as behavioral therapy, massage, and acupuncture.
2011 - Recipient of the Julius and Regine Steffans Junior Investigators Workshop Grant, European Association for Communication in Healthcare Research Committee.
2012 - Article entitled, Impact of physician body mass index on obesity care and beliefs, selected by The Obesity Society as paper of the year.
2012 - Grand Prize Winner for the Urbanite Magazine Project 2012: Healthy Food Challenge for Hyper-local distribution of fresh produce pilot study.
2013- Johns Hopkins University Clinician Scientist Career Development Award
2. Gudzune KA, Huizinga MM, Beach MC, Cooper LA. Obese patients overestimate physicians attitudes of respect. Patient Educ Couns 2012; 88:23-8. PMID: 22240006.
3. Bleich SN, Bennett W, Gudzune KA, Cooper LA. Impact of physician body mass index on obesity care and beliefs. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2012; 20:999-1005. PMID: 22262162.
4. Maruthur N, Bolen S, Gudzune KA, Brancati F, Clark JM. Lower rates of colon cancer screening among obese white women: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2012; 21:737-46. PMID: 22492832.
5. Cherry MG, Frisch AL, Hillen M, Martinelli V, Pype P, Scholl I, Schwenessen N, Gudzune KA. Advice for junior researchers lessons learned from the 2011 Y-EACH junior investigators workshop. Patient Educ Couns 2012; 89(1):214-5. PMID: 22884410.
6. Gudzune KA, Clark JM, Appel LJ, Bennett WB. Primary care providers communication with patients during weight counseling: a focus group study. Patient Educ Couns 2012; 89(1): 152-7. PMID: 22819710
7. Bleich SN, Bennett W, Gudzune KA, Cooper LA. National survey of U.S. primary care physicians perspectives about causes of obesity and solutions to improve care. BMJ Open 2012. (in press) PMID: 23257776
8. Bleich SN, Gudzune KA, Bennett WL, Cooper LA. Do physician beliefs about causes of obesity translate into actionable issues on which physicians counsel their patients? Prev Med 2013. (in press) PMID: 23399006
9. Gudzune KA, Bleich SN, Richards TM, Weiner JP, Hodges K, Clark JM. Doctor shopping by overweight and obese patients is associated with increased healthcare utilization. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2012. (in press)
10. Gudzune KA, Beach MC, Roter DL, Cooper LA. Physicians build less rapport with obese patients. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2013. (in press)
11. Jarlenski MP, Gudzune KA, Bennett WL, Cooper LA, Bleich SN. Overweight adults perceived helpfulness of wellness benefits for weight loss. Am J Prev Med 2013. (in press)
12. Gudzune KA, Huizinga MM, Chang HY, Asamoah V, Gadgil M, Clark JM. Screening and diagnosis of micronutrient deficiencies before and after bariatric surgery. Obesity Surgery 2013. (in press)
13. Gudzune KA, Hutfless S, Maruthur N, Wilson R, Segal J. Strategies to prevent weight gain in workplace and college settings: a systematic review. Prev Med 2013. (in press)
- Social networks
- Patient-provider relationships
Society of General Internal Medicine
American Academy on Communication in Healthcare
European Association for Communication in Health Care
American Society for Nutrition