Education and Experience
- Yale University School of Medicine (New Haven CT)/ (2000)
- New York - Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia (New York NY)/ Internal Medicine (2003)
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine (2003)
Medicine - Cardiology
- Center for Vascular Medicine
- Heart and Vascular Institute
1995 Presidential Scholar, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH
1996 summa cum laude, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH
1996 Elected to Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society
1996 Phi Beta Kappa, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH
2000 Alpha Omega Alpha, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT
2000 Merck Book Award, Yale University School of Medicine
2000 American Cancer Society Prize, Yale University School of Medicine
2000 Medical Thesis selected for Honors, Yale University School of Medicine
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm
- Aortic Aneurysms
- Arterial Aneurysm
- Arterial Occlusive Disease
- Arterial Ultrasound
- Atherosclerosis Imaging
- Carotid Artery Disease
- Carotid Artery Disease
- Carotid Artery Stenosis
- Carotid Ultrasound
- Cerebrovascular Diseases
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery
- Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
- Deep Venous Thrombosis
- General Internal Medicine
- Heart Bypass
- High Cholesterol
- Intermittent Claudication
- Non-Invasive Flow Studies (NIFS)
- Peripheral Arterial Aneurysms
- Peripheral Arterial Disease
- Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Renal Artery Disease
- Risk Factor Modification
- Subclinical Atherosclerosis
- Thromboembolic Disease
- Vascular Disease
- Vascular Medicine
- Vascular Ultrasound
- Venous Disease
- Venous Thromboembolism
2005-2007 Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY
2007- Assistant Professor of Medicine
Director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Vascular Medicine
Division of Cardiology; Department of Medicine
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
1. Clark AS, Harrold EV, Fast AS. Anabolic-androgenic steroid effects on the sexual
behavior of intact male rats. Hormones and Behavior 1997; 31(1):35-46.
2. Clark AS, Harrold EV. Comparison of the effects of stanozolol, oxymetholone, and testosterone cypionate on the sexual behavior of castrated male rats. Behavioral Neuroscience 1997; 111(6):1368-1374.
3. Harrold EV, Turner BC, Matloff ET, Pathare P, Beinfield M, McKhann C, Ward BA, Haffty BG. Local recurrence in the conservatively treated breast cancer patient: A correlation with age and family history. Cancer Journal from Scientific American 1998; 4(5):302-307.
4. Turner BC, Harrold E, Matloff E, Smith T, Gumbs AA, Beinfield M, Ward B, Skolnick M, Glazer PN, Thomas A, Haffty BG. BRCA1/2 germline mutations in locally recurrent breast cancer patients after lumpectomy and radiation therapy: Implications for breast-conserving management in patients with BRCA1/2 mutations. Journal of Clinical Oncology 1999; 17(10):3017-3024.
5. Haffty BG, Harrold E, Khan AJ, Pathare P, Smith TE, Turner BC, Glazer PN,
Ward B, Carter D, Matloff E, Bale AE, Alvarez-Franco M. Outcome of conservatively managed early-onset breast cancer by BRCA1/2 status. Lancet 2002; 359(9316):1471-1477.
6. Weinberger J, Rundback JH, Ratchford EV. Regulatory approval of peripheral endovascular revascularization devices in the United States: Is the horse still in the barn? Am Journal of Ther 2005; 12:186-191.
7. Rundek T, Hundle R, Ratchford E, Ramas R, Sciacca R, DiTullio MR, Boden-Albala B, Miyake Y, Elkind MS, Sacco RL, Homma S. Endothelial dysfunction is associated with carotid plaque: A cross-sectional study from the population-based Northern Manhattan Study. BMC Cardiovas Disord 2006; 6(1):35.
8. Ratchford EV, Morrissey NJ. Aortoenteric fistula: A late complication of endovascular repair of an inflammatory abdominal aortic aneurysm. Vasc Endovascular Surg 2006 Dec - 2007 Jan; 40(6): 487-491.
9. Salameh MJ, Rundek T, Boden-Albala B, Jin Z, Ratchford EV, DiTullio MR, Homma S, Sacco RL. Self-reported peripheral arterial disease predicts future vascular events in a community-based cohort. J Gen Intern Med 2008;23(9):1423-1428.
10. Ratchford EV, Jin Z, Di Tullio M, Homma S, Salameh M, Gan R, Boden-Albala B, Sacco RL, Rundek T. Carotid bruit for detection of hemodynamically significant carotid stenosis: the Northern Manhattan Study. Neurol Res 2009 Jan 7.
11. Ratchford EV, Salameh MJ, Morrissey NJ. Underestimation of carotid stenosis in bradycardia. Vascular 2009;17(1):51-54.
1. Salameh MJ, Ratchford EV. Update on Peripheral Arterial Disease and Claudication Rehabilitation in The Dysvascular and Diabetic Patient: Update in Diagnosis, Treatment and Rehabilitation; Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics of North America. (Hakimi K ed) Saunders / Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA. 2009 20(4): 627-656.
2. Stewart KJ, Ratchford EV, Williams MA. Exercise for Restoring Health and Preventing Vascular Disease in Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease; Companion to Braunwalds Heart Disease (Blumenthal RS, Foody JM, Wong ND, Eds). In press
1. Salameh M, Rundek T, Jacoby D, Jin Z, Ratchford E, et al. Self-reported peripheral arterial disease impacts risk of combined vascular events beyond Framingham Risk in the Northern Manhattan Study. Proceedings of the American College of Cardiology Meeting 2006.
2. Salameh M, Rundek T, Boden-Albala B, Jin Z, Ratchford E, et al. Self-reported peripheral arterial disease predicts future vascular events in the Northern Manhattan Study. Proceedings of the American Heart Association Meeting 2006.
- Peripheral arterial disease
2004-2007 Member, Society for Vascular Medicine
2007- Fellow, Society for Vascular Medicine
2003-2007 Director of Vascular Medicine, Division of Cardiology, Columbia University Medical Center
2003-2007 Medical Director of the Cardiovascular Ultrasound Laboratory at
Columbia University Medical Center, Accredited by the ICAVL in 2006
2007- Director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Vascular Medicine, Accredited by the ICAVL in 2009
2007- Scientific Advisory Board, Vascular Disease Foundation
2007- Communications Committee, Vascular Disease Foundation
2008- Member, American Heart Association
2009- Member, Baltimore Board of Directors, American Heart Association
- Peripheral vascular disease
- Vascular disease
- Peripheral arterial disease