Director of The Vascular and Endovascular Research Center, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Education and Experience
- Damascus University (Damascus )/ (1992)
- USC University Hospital (Los Angeles CA)/ General Surgery (2003)
- University of North Dakota School of Medicine (Grand Forks ND)/ General Surgery (1997)
- Montefiore Medical Center - Henry and Lucy Moses Div (Bronx NY)/ Vascular Surgery (2005)
- Vascular Surgery, American Board of Surgery (2007)
- General Surgery, American Board of Surgery (2004)
Surgery - Vascular Surgery
- Heart and Vascular Institute
Director of The Vascular and Endovascular Research Center, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Baylor College of Medicine Plastic Surgery Clerkship
University of Texas Houston Medical School General Surgery Externship
September 5, 2008, Catch a Shining Star, Johns Hopkins Service Excellence Quarterly winner
April 28, 2009, Catch a Shining Star, Johns Hopkins Service Excellence Reward For demonstrating exemplary Service Excellence and inspiring others to do their best
December 9, 2009, Catch a Shining Star, Johns Hopkins Service Excellence Reward For demonstrating exemplary Service Excellence and inspiring others to do their best
April 5 2010, Scholar Abstract Award
Revascularization with Open Bypass vs. Angioplasty and Stenting of the lower extremity Trial (ROBUST), 2010 Clinical and Translational Research and Education Meeting for the Association of Clinical Research Training (ACRT) and Society of Clinical and Translational Science (SCTS) joint annual meeting April 5-7, 2010, Washington, DC,
August 25, 2010, Catch a Shining Star, Johns Hopkins Service Excellence Reward
September 24 2010, Best Attending Teacher Award
The Johns Hopkins Physician Assistant Surgical Residency class of 2009-2010
December 20, 2010, Catch a Shining Star, Johns Hopkins Service Excellence Reward For demonstrating exemplary Service Excellence and inspiring others to do their best
February 4, 2011, Catch a Shining Star, Johns Hopkins Service Excellence Reward For demonstrating exemplary Service Excellence and inspiring others to do their best
May 2, 2011, Catch a Shining Star, Johns Hopkins Service Excellence Reward For demonstrating exemplary Service Excellence and inspiring others to do their best
2011-2012 Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine: Clinical Scientist Career Development Award To promote the research career development of young faculty physicians. Allocations from this fund are based on a competitive application process which is tied closely to concurrent efforts to obtain external support of research.
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm
- Aortic Aneurysms
- Aortic Stent-Grafts/Endografts
- Aortic Surgery
- Arterial Occlusive Disease
- Arterial Ultrasound
- Arteriovenous Fistulas
- Arteriovenous Malformations
- Atherosclerosis Imaging
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Cardiovascular Disease in Women
- Cardiovascular Disease with Chronic Renal Disease
- Cardiovascular Interventions
- Cardiovascular Medicine
- Cardiovascular Surgery
- Carotid Artery Disease
- Carotid Artery Stenosis
- Carotid Artery Stenting
- Carotid Body Tumors
- Carotid Endarterectomy
- Carotid Ultrasound
- Cerebral Vascular Disease
- Chronic Total Coronary Occlusion
- Drug Eluting Stents
- Endovascular Interventions
- Endovascular Surgery
- Endovascular Therapies
- General Surgery
- Heart Disease
- Intermittent Claudication
- Limb Salvage Revascularization
- Limb Salvage Surgery
- Lower Extremity Angioplasty
- Lower Extremity Revascularization
- Lower Extremity Stenting
- Minimally Invasive Endovascular Aneurysm Repair
- Minimally Invasive Interventions
- Minimally Invasive Radiofrequency Ablation
- Minimally Invasive Thoracic Surgery
- Peripheral Angiography
- Peripheral Arterial Aneurysms
- Peripheral Arterial Disease
- Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Redo Lower Extremity Vascular Reconstruction
- Renal Artery Disease
- Spider Veins
- Subclavian Steal Syndrome
- Subclavian Stenosis
- Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms
- Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
- Treatment of Bypass Graft Disease with Distal Protection Devices
- Varicose Veins
- Vascular Disease
- Vascular Malformations
- Vascular Surgery
- Vascular Ultrasound
- Venous Disease
- Venous Insufficiency
- Venous Thromboembolism
- Visceral Angioplasty
- Visceral Stenting
- Visceral Vessel Reconstruction
- VNUS Closure Procedure
1. Malas MB, Barr ML, Starnes VA, Shapiro S, Palmer S, Schwartz DS, Dyspnea Lusoria compression of the pulmonary artery by Kommerells Diverticulum. Ann Thorac Surg 2002; 73: 312-313.
2. Malas MB, Katkhouda N, Internal hernia as a complication of laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 2002; 12: 115-6.
3. Wells W, Malas MB, Baker CJ, Quardt SM, Barr ML, Depopulated vena caval homograft: A new venous conduit. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2003; 126: 498 - 503.
4. Reed T, Veith FJ, Gargiulo NJ, Timaran CH, Ohki T, Lipsitz EC, Malas MB, Wain RA, Suggs WD, System to decrease length of stay for vascular surgery. J Vasc Surg 2004; 39: 395-99.
5. Timaran CH, Ohki T, Rhee SJ, Veith FJ, Gargiulo NJ 3rd, Toriumi H, Malas MB, Suggs WD, Wain RA, Lipsitz EC, Predicting aneurysm enlargement in patients with persistent type II endoleaks. J Vasc Surg 2004; 39: 1157-62.
6. Timaran CH, Ohki T, Veith FJ, Lipsitz EC, Gargiulo NJ, Rhee SJ, Malas MB, Suggs WD, Pacanowsk JP Influence of type II endoleak volume on aneurysm wall pressure and distribution in an experimental model. J Vasc Surg April 2005; 41: 657-63.
7. Malas MB, Ohki T, Veith FJ, Chen T, Lipsitz EC, Suggs WD, Timaran CH, Gargiulo NJ, Parodi JC, Absence of proximal neck dilatation and graft migration following endovascular aneurysm repair with balloon expandable stent-based endograft. J Vasc Surg October 2005; 42: 639-644.
8. Malas MB Optimal blood pressure before and after carotid endarterectomy. Consultant; December 2007: 47 1216.
9. Barnnett BP, Qazi U, Perler BA, Malas MB, Novel Approach to a type I endoleak following a hybrid repair of an arch aortic aneurysm. Vasc Endovascular Surg 2009; 43: 389-92.
10. Sheffet AJ, Roubin G, Howard G, Howard V, Moore W, Meschia JF, Hobson RW 2nd, Brott TG, (Malas MB Principle Investigator at Hopkins), Design of the Carotid Revascularization Endarterectomy vs. Stenting Trial (CREST). Int J Stroke 2010; 40-6.
11. Malas MB, Qazi U, Perler B, Freischlag JA Revascularization with Open Bypass vs. Angioplasty and Stenting of the lower extremity Trial (ROBUST). Abstract, Clin Transl Sci 2010; 3.
12. Sethi A, Daher R, Thavarajah S, Malas MB, Anderson, Renal Artery Stenting Works in the Right Patient. Am J Kidney Dis, 2010; 55: B99.
13. Janvier A, Hamdan H, Malas MB, Bilateral Renal Vein Thrombosis and Subsequent Acute Renal Failure Due to IVC Filter Migration and Thrombosis, J Clin Nephrol 2010; 73: 408-412.
14. Malas MB, Choo S, Qazi U, Glebova N, Meguid R, Reifsnyder T, Perler BA, Freischlag JA, Endovascular Treatment of a Type III Endoleak and Secondary Aorta-enteric Fistula Without Explanation of the Prior Endograft. Arch Surg. 2011;146(9):1102-1103.
15. Brott TG, Hobson RW, Howard G, Roubin GS, Clark WM, Brooks W, (Malas MB Principle Investigator at Hopkins) Stenting versus Endarterectomy for Treatment of Carotid Artery Stenosis. N Engl J Med 2010; 363: 11-23.
16. Malas MB, Saha S, Duncan M, Qazi U, Perler BA, Freischlag JA, Veith F, Is Endovascular Stent-graft Treatment of Primary Aorto-Esophageal Fistula worthwhile? Vasc Endovascular Surg 2010; 45: 83-9.
17. Malas MB, Freischlag JA, Interpretation of the Results of OVER in the context of EVAR, DREAM and the EUROSTAR Registry Seminars in Vascular Surgery. 2010; 23: 165-169.
18. Hassoun H, Malas MB, Freischlag JA, Secondary Stroke Prevention in the Era of Carotid Stenting: Update on the Recent Trials. Arch Surg 2010; 145: 928-935.
19. Mantese VA, Timaran CH, Chiu D, Begg RJ, Brott TG, for the CREST Investigators. (Malas MB Principle Investigator at Hopkins) The Carotid Revascularization Endarterectomy versus Stenting Trial (CREST) Stenting versus Carotid Endarterectomy for Carotid Disease. Stroke. 2010;41;[suppl 1]:S31-S34.
20. Malas MB, Robotham D, Qazi U, Veith FJ, Unique endovascular approach to treat common iliac artery aneurysm with contralateral aorto-uni-iliac endograft and a femoral-femoral bypass. J Vasc Interv Radiol December 2010; l21: 1891-1895.
21. Silver FL, Mackey A, Clark WM, Brooks W, Timaran CH, Chiu D, Goldstein LB, Meschia JF, Ferguson RD, Moore WS, Howard G, Brott TG, for the CREST Investigators(Malas MB Principle Investigator at Hopkins). Safety of Stenting and Endarterectomy by Symptomatic Status in the Carotid Revascularization Endarterectomy Versus Stenting Trial. Stroke. 2011;42:675-60.
22. Blackshear JL, Cutlip DE, Roubin GS, Hill MD, Leimgruber PP, Begg RJ, Cohen DJ, Eidt JF, Narins CR, Prineas RJ, Glasser SP, Voeks JH, Brott TG, for the CREST Investigators(Malas MB Principle Investigator at Hopkins). Myocardial Infarction following Carotid Stenting and Endarterectomy: Results from the Carotid Revascularization Endarterectomy versus Stenting Trial (CREST). Circulation. 2011;123:2571-2578.
23. Howard VJ, Lutsep HL, Mackey A, Demaerschalk BM, Sam II AD, Gonzales NR, Sheffet AJ, Voeks JH, Meschia JF, Brott TG, for the CREST Investigators(Malas MB Principle Investigator at Hopkins). Influence of sex on outcomes of stenting versus endarterectomy: Results from the Carotid Revascularization Endarterectomy vs. Stenting Trial (CREST). The Lancet Neurology. 2011;10:530-537.
24. Cohen DJ, Stolker JM, Wang K, Magnuson EA, Clark WM, Demaerschalk BM, Sam II AD, Elmore JR, Weaver FA, Aronow HD, Goldstein LB, Roubin GS, Howard G, Brott TB, for the CREST Investigators(Malas MB Principle Investigator at Hopkins). Health-Related Quality of Life after Carotid Stenting versus Carotid Endarterectomy: Results from the CREST Trial. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2011;58:1557-65.
25. Voeks JH, Howard G, Roubin GS, Malas MB, Cohen DJ, Sternbergh WC, Aronow HD, Eskandari MK, Sheffet AJ, Lal BK, Meschia JF, Brott TG, MD, for the CREST Investigators, Age and Outcomes following Carotid Stenting and Carotid Endarterectomy: The Carotid Revascularization Endarterectomy versus Stenting Trial (CREST). Accepted to Stroke, August 2011.
26. Malas MB, Sethi A, Daher R, Thavarajah S, Anderson J, Does Renal Artery Stenting Help Patients with Near Occlusion?. (Submitted to Vascular & Endovascular Surg)
27. Malas MB, Brown B, Qazi U, Reed T, Xie YJ, Reifsnyder T, Freischlag JA, Perler BA, Angioplasty and Stenting is better than Femoral Popliteal Bypass in TASC B and C Superficial Femoral Artery lesions. (In press)
1. New Cardiovascular Horizons and Management of the Diabetic Foot and Wound Healing 2007. Paraplegia Following Endovascular AAA Repair EVAR, New Orleans, LA. 2007 8 Sep.
2. New Cardiovascular Horizons and Management of the Diabetic Foot and Wound Healing 2007. Using Ethiodol To Treat Thoracic Duct Injury In A Patient With High-Output Chylous Leak After Aortic Debranching.
3. New Cardiovascular Horizons and Management of the Diabetic Foot and Wound Healing 2007. Unique Endovascular Approach to Treat Common Iliac Artery Aneurysm with Contralateral Aorto-uni-iliac Endograft and a Femoral Bypass. New Orleans, LA. 2007; 5 Sep.
4. Thirty Fourth Annual Veithsymposium External Iliac Artery to Superior Mesenteric Artery Bypass to Prevent Bowl Ischemia Prior to Endovascular Aneurysm Repair. New York, NY 2007; 16 Nov.
5. CREST: Annual Johns Hopkins Bayview Research Day. 2007; 7 Dec.
6. Primary Aorto-Esophageal Fistula (AEF): Successful Endovascular Repair, CRT. 2008 Washington, DC 2008; 11 Feb.
7. King Abdullah University, Scientific Publication Center: Advancement in the diagnosis and treatment
of Peripheral Arterial Disease and Diabetes. Jeddah, Saudi Arabia 2008; Dec.
8. CREST: 2nd Annual Department of Surgery Research Poster Session. 2008; 28 Feb.
9. Johns Hopkins Bayview Research Symposium: Stenting versus endarterectomy for treatment of carotid-artery stenosis. 2010; 10 Dec.
10. Johns Hopkins Bay view Research Symposium: Asymptomatic Carotid Stenosis Stenting vs. Endarterectomy Trial, ACT 1. 2010; 10 Dec.
11. Society of Vascular Surgery Vascular Annual Meeting: Differential Outcomes of Carotid Stenting and Endarterectomy Performed Exclusively by Vascular Surgeons: Results from the Carotid Revascularization Endarterectomy vs. Stenting Trial (CREST). Chicago, IL. 2011; 16-18 June.
12. Thirty Eighth Annual VeithSymposium: For SFA TASC B And TASC C Lesions, PTA And Stenting Is Superior To Bypass Surgery. New York 2011; 18 Nov.
Surgical Breast Diseases", Thesis, Damascus University, July 1992
Endovascular Treatment of Abdominal and Thoracic Aneurysms, Peripheral Vascular Intervention 2005
Macrovascular Complications in The Elderly Diabetic , Textbook of Mens Health and Aging 2007
"Endovascular Treatment of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm" John Cameron, Current surgical therapy 9th Edition 2008
"Miniamlly Invasive Endovascular Surgery ". International Priciples of Laproscopic Surgery 2010.
Management Of Reurrent Carotid Artery Stenosis John Cameron, Current surgical therapy 10th Edition 2011
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm and Unexpected Abdominal Pathology John Cameron, Current surgical therapy 10th Edition 2011
- Teatment of carotid artery stenosis and stroke prevention
- Renal protection for angioplasty and stenting
- Clinical outcomes analysis
- Minimally-invasive endovascular aneurysm repair
- Device development and complications prevention
- Molecular biology of intimal hyperplesia and cryopreserved veins grafts
- Drug-eluting stents to treat lower extremity arterial stenosis
1996-2003 Candidate, American College of Surgeons
2003-2009 Diplomat, American College of Surgeons Diplomat Group
2009-present Fellow, American College of Surgeons
2003-present Fellow, Society of Graduate Surgeons of Los Angeles County/ University of Southern California
2004-prsent Fellow, International Society of Vascular Surgery
2004-present Fellow, European Society of Vascular Surgery
2004-2009 Candidate, Society of Vascular Surgery Candidate group
2009-present Fellow, Society of Vascular Surgery Fellow
2005-present Fellow, Peripheral Vascular Surgery Society
2008-present Fellow, Eastern Vascular Society