Susan Caroline Harvey, MDTitle(s):
Education and Experience
- University of Vermont College of Medicine (Burlington VT)/ (1990)
- Yale - New Haven Hospital (New Haven CT)/ Radiology/ Diagnostic Radiology (1995)
- Brigham and Women's Hospital (Boston MA)/ Oncology Imaging (1996)
- Diagnostic Radiology, American Board of Radiology (1995)
Radiology and Radiological Science - Johns Hopkins Breast Imaging Section
- Johns Hopkins Breast Imaging Section
Dr. Harvey attended Middlebury College where she received a BA, graduating with a double major in Biology and Chemistry. She then went on to medical school at the University of Vermont where she was a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Society. She completed her residency in Diagnostic Radiology at Yale New Haven Hospital, followed by fellowship in oncoradiology at the Brigham and Womens Hospital and The Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston, focusing on breast imaging and the treatment of breast diseases. Dr. Harvey remained on the faculty at Brigham and Womens Hospital for four years until her recruitment to the University of Vermont where she continued practicing until her arrival at Johns Hopkins in 2005. Since joining Johns Hopkins Radiology in 2005, Dr. Harvey has worked at Green Spring Station, where she served as the Director of Breast Imaging since 2008. Dr. Harvey has expertise in all aspects of breast imaging, including screening and diagnostic mammography, breast ultrasound, breast interventional procedures and breast MRI.
Dr. Harvey has a special interest in breast imaging in the developing world, and has traveled to Haiti for this purpose. She is also working to have Johns Hopkins Breast Imaging play a role in breast cancer detection and treatment programs in Uganda through collaboration with Imaging the World.
- Breast Biopsy
- Breast Cancer
- Breast Imaging
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Stereotactic Biopsy
1. Lasko DD, Harvey SC, Malaikal SB, Kadlubar FF, Essigmann JM. Specificity of Mutagenesis by 4-Aminobiphenyl. Journal of Biological Chemistry 1988; 236:
2. Harvey SC, DiPiro PJ, Meyer JE. Marked regression of a nonpalpable breast cancer after cessation of a hormone replacement therapy. AJR 1996; 167:394-395.
3. Meyer JE, Smith DN, DiPiro PJ, Denison CM, Frenna TH, Harvey SC, Ko WD. Stereotaxic breast biopsy of clustered microcalcifications with a directional, vacuum-assisted device. Radiology 1997; 204:575-576.
4. Meyer JE, Smith DN, Lester S, DiPiro PJ, Denison CM, Frenna TH, Harvey SC, Christian RL, Richardson A, Ko WD. Large core breast biopsy: nonmalignant abnormalities evaluated by surgical excision or a repeat core biopsy. Radiology 1998; 206:717-720.
5. DiPiro PJ, Meyer JE, Denison CM, Frenna TH, Harvey SC, Smith DN. Image-guided core breast biopsy of ductal carcinoma in situ presenting as a non-calcified abnormality. Eur J of Radiol. 1999.Jun; 30(3):231-6.
6. Harvey SC, Denison CM, Lester SL, DiPiro PJ, Smith DN, Meyer JE. Imaging features of fibrous nodules found on large-core needle biopsy of the breast. Radiology 1999 May; 211(2):535-40.
7. Meyer JE, Smith DN, Lester SL, DiPiro PJ, Denison CM, Christian RL, Harvey SC, Selland DL, Durfee SM. Large-core needle biopsy of nonpalpable breast lesions. JAMA. 1999 May 5; 281(17):1638-41.
8. Geller BM, Vacek PM, Drucker MJ, Harvey SC, Lehman CD, Oppenheimer RG. The predictive value of additional imaging studies following a standard screening mammogram. Submitted
9. Harvey SC, Geller B, Oppenheimer RG, Pinet M, Garra BS. Increase in cancer detection rates independent double reading screening mammography. AJR 2003 May
10. Harvey SC, Geller B, Vasic P, Closegros C. Variability in interpretation and accuracy of breast sonograms with film versus videotape. submitted 9/05
11. Mobbs L, Jennecke E, Weaver D, Harvey SC
12. Harvey SC, Geller B, Vasic P, Skelly J. The effect of Additional Imaging on the Sensitivity and Specificity of Screening Mammography. Submitted 10
- breast imaging and diagnosis outcomes
Society of Breast Imaging
American Roentgen Ray Society