Education and Experience
- College Of Medicine, University Of Lagos (Lagos, Lagos )/ (1984)
- University Of Manchester (Manchester )/ Anesthesiology (1995)
- Joyce Green Hospital (Dartford, Kent )/ Anesthesiology (1992)
- University of Michigan Health System (Ann Arbor MI)/ Anesthesiology / Internship/Residency/Fellowship (2002)
- Pain Management, American Board of Anesthesiology (2004)
- Anesthesiology, American Board of Anesthesiology (2003)
Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine - Pain Medicine
- Blaustein Pain Treatment Center
2002 2004 Scholarship Award Executive MBA Program
University of Michigan Business School.
2002 First place award for poster presentation (An Unusual presentation of Piriformis Syndrome) Midwest Anesthesia Resident Conference Nebraska.
2001 Resident Award for Academic Excellence (Class of 2001)
2001 The Peter. J. Cohen, Resident Research Award
(Class of 2001).
2001 The Robert. B. Sweet. Resident Award for Humanitarian and Physician (Class of 2001).
2000 - 2001 Chief Resident,Department of Anesthesiology
University of Michigan Health System
Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Critical Care Medicine
1. Pain Medicine.
2.Anesthesia and Analgesia
CONGRESSIONAL BRIEFINGS AND TESTIMONIES
1.Mini-medical school on the importance of appropriate assessment and management of pain, Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee - Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration Reauthorization, August 3, 2007, U.S. Senate.
1. Chief physician consultant for Case Management Covenants LLC:
Case Management Covenants is a healthcare consulting firm that specializes in helping hospital clients enhance profitability through development of efficient claims and denial management processes. The role as chief physician consultant is to provide leadership in the development of physician education programs and development of strategies to reduce physician denial activity. Current role also includes working with upper management in strategic planning and new product development for the company.
1. Williams, K.A., M.D. Huntington, J. M.D. The Pediatric Induction Pacifier Device. Patent application filed: University of Michigan Technology Management Office (#1846) 03/2001. Patent issued 08/17/2004,U.S Patent Number 6776157
2 Hurley, R.W., Cohen, S.P, Williams, K.A., Rowlingson, A.J., Wu, C.L. The analgesic effects of perioperative gabapentin on postoperative pain: a meta-analysis. Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine. 2006. May-June; 31(3): 237-47.
3. Cohen, S. P., Sireci, A., Wu,C. L., Larkin, T. M., Williams, K.A., Hurley, R. W., Pulsed radiofrequency of the dorsal root ganglia is superior to pharmacotherapy or pulsed radiofrequency of the intercostals nerves in the treatment of chronic post surgical thoracic pain. Pain Physician 2006; Jul: 9 (3):227-35.
4. Sharma, A., Williams, K. A., Raja, S.N., Advances in the treatment of complex regional pain syndrome: recent insights on a perplexing disease. Current Opinion in Anesthesiology 2006, 19; 566-572.
5. Cohen, S.P, Zahid, B.H., Kraemer, J.J., Dragovich, A., Williams, K. A., Stream, B.S., Sireci, B. S., Mcknight, G, Hurley, R. W. ,Factors Predicting Success and Failure for Cervical Facet Radiofrequency Denervation : A Multi-Center Analysis.
6. Cohen S.P,Strassels S.A, Foster L,Marvel J,Williams K.A, Crooks M, Gross A, Khunhara C, Nguyen C, Williams N. A Multi-Center, Randomized Controlled Study Comparing Fluoroscopic-Guided and Blind Injections for Trochanteric Bursitis. BMJ 2009 Apr 14;338:b1088.doi:10.1136/bmj.b1088.
7. Williams K.A, Korto K, Cohen S.P. Spinal Cord Stimulation:Neural Switch in Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Type I. Pain Medicine.Pain Medicine;May/June 2009;10(4):
Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine; Nov 2007;32:495-503.
- Business of Medicine: Main area of focus in the business of medicine includes, specialty practice development, physician practice management, acute in-patient and revenue cycle management, and medical management consulting.
- Interventional pain medicine: Main area of focus is in translational research in neuromodulation,with particular emphasis on the mechanisms and efficacy of dorsal column stimulation in neuropathic pain, peripheral neuropathies and peripheral vascular disease.
1998 - Present: American Society of Anesthesiologists
1998 - Present: International Anesthesia Research Society
2003 - Present: American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians
2003 - Present: American College of Physician Executives
2004 - Present: International Neuromodulation Society
2009 - Present: American Academy of Pain Medicine
- Spinal Cord Stimulation in the Treatment of Critical Non-Reconstructible Critical Leg Ischemia
- Spinal Cord Stimulation in the Treatment of Painful Diabetic Neuropathy