Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Associate Professor of Medicine
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Education and Experience
- Rush Medical College (Chicago IL)/ (2000)
- Medical College of Wisconsin (Milwaukee WI)/ Otolaryngology (2005)
- Sleep Medicine, American Board of Sleep Medicine (2010)
- Otolaryngology, American Board of Otolaryngology (2008)
Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery - Pediatric Otolaryngology
Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery - Center for Snoring & Sleep Surgery
- Sleep Center
Dr. Stacey Ishman is an assistant professor with the Departments of OtolaryngologyHead and Neck Surgery, Pediatrics and Internal Medicine at Johns Hopkins. She earned her medical degree from Rush Medical College and completed a residency in Otolaryngology at the Medical College of Wisconsin. Dr. Ishman completed a fellowship in pediatric otolaryngology at Johns Hopkins and underwent advanced sleep training after she joined the faculty in 2006. She obtained her MPH from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, is board certified in OtolaryngologyHead and Neck Surgery and Sleep Medicine and studies outcomes in adult and pediatric sleep surgery. She currently serves as the Director of the Center for Snoring and Sleep Surgery.
- Airway Disorders
- Airway Reconstruction, Pediatric
- Diseases of the Ear, Nose, Throat in Children
- Ear, Nose, and Throat
- Nasal Obstruction
- Neck Masses
- Neck Masses in Children
- Pediatric Otolaryngology
- Pediatric Sleep Surgery
- Sinus Problems
- Sleep Apnea
- Sleep Disorders
- Sleep Medicine
- Sleep Surgery
- Snoring Disorders
- Swallowing Disorders
1. Ishman S, Book DT, Conley SF, Kerschner JE. Plastic Bronchitis: An Unusual Bronchoscopic Challenge Associated with Congenital Heart Disease Repair. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology. 2003 May;67(5):543-548.
2. Ishman SL, Friedland DR. Temporal Bone Fractures: Traditional Classification and Clinical Relevance. Laryngoscope. 2004 Oct;114(10):1734-1741.
3. Ishman SL, Kerschner JE, Rudolph CD. The KTP Laser: An Emerging Tool in Pediatric Otolaryngology. International Journal of Pediatric Otolaryngology. 2006 Apr:70(4):677-682.
4. Ishman SL, Halum SL, Patel N, Kerschner JE, Merati A. Management of Vocal Paralysis: A Comparison of Adult & Pediatric Practices. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2006 Oct:135(4):590-594.
5. Ishman SL, Martin TJ, Hambrook DW, Smith TL, Jaradeh SS, Loehrl TA. Autonomic Nervous System Evaluation in Allergic Rhinitis. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007 Jan:136(1):51-56.
6. Halbower AC, Ishman SL, McGinley B. Childhood Obstructive Sleep-Disordered Breathing: Diagnostic and Therapeutic Technology Innovations and Challenges. Chest. 2007 Dec:132: 2030-2041.
7. Chu, E, Wei J, Tunkel D, Ishman SL. Nasopharyngeal carcinoma: the role of Epstein-Barr virus. Medscape J Med. 2008 Jul 16;10(7):165.
8. Tunkel DE, Hotchkiss KS, Ishman S, Brown D. Supraglottoplasty in infants using sinus instruments. Medscape J Med. 2008 Nov;10(11):269.
9. Sultan B, Lefton-Greif MA, Brown DJ, Ishman SL. Congenital Nasal Pyriform Aperture Stenosis: Feeding Evaluation and Management. International Journal of Pediatric Otolaryngology. 2009 Aug;73(8):1080-1084.
10. Starmer H, Ishman SL, Flint P, Bhatti N, Richmon J, Koch W, Webster K, Tufano R, Gourin C. Complications that Affect Postlaryngectomy Voice Restoration: Primary Surgery versus Salvage Surgery. Archives of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery. 2009 Nov;135(11):1165-1169.
11. Anderson I, Sedaghat AR, McGinley B, Redett RJ, Boss EF, Ishman SL. Prevalence and severity of obstructive sleep apnea and snoring in infants with Pierre robin sequence. The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal. 2011 Sep;48(5):614-618.
12. Gourin CG, Elam JC, Ishman SL, Dunbar KB, Clarke JO. The relationship between depressive symptoms and Voice Handicap Index scores in laryngopharyngeal reflux. Laryngoscope. 2010 Sep;120(9):1900-1903.
13. Ishman SL, Cavey RM, Mettel TL, Gourin CG. Depression, Sleepiness and Disease Severity in Patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Laryngoscope. 2010 Nov;120(11):2331-2335.
14. Stavinoha RC, Kline AD, Levy HP, Kimball A, Mettel TL, Ishman SL. Characterization of Sleep Disturbance in Cornelia de Lange Syndrome. International Journal of Pediatric Otolaryngology. 2011 Feb;75(2):215-218.
15. Ishii L, Godoy A, Ishman S, Gourin C, Ishii M. The Nasal Obstruction Symptom Evaluation Survey as a Screening Tool for Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2011 Feb;137(2):119-123.
16. Boss EF, Smith D, Ishman SL. Racial/ethnic and socioeconomic disparities in the diagnosis and treatment of sleep-disordered breathing in children. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology. 2011 Mar;75(3):299-307.
17. Kovell L, Ishman SL, Boss EF. Pediatric CF and Sinusitis: Outcomes and Socioeconomic Status. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2011 Jul:145(1):146-153.
18. Sedaghat AR, Anderson I, McGinley BM, Rossberg ML, Redett RJ, Ishman SL. Characterization of obstructive sleep apnea before and after tongue lip adhesion in children with micrognathia. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2012 Jan;49(1):21-26.
19. Ishman SL, Benke JR, Nyugen M, Smith DF, Lin SY. The prevalence of sleepiness and the risk of sleep disordered breathing in children with positive allergy testing. International Forum for Allergy/Rhinology. 2012 Mar-Apr;2(2):139-43
20. Sedaghat AR, Flax-Goldenberg R, Gayler R, Ishman SL. A case-control comparison of lingual tonsillar hypertrophy in children with and without Down Syndrome. Laryngoscope. 2012 May;122(5):1165-1169.
21. Rajan R, Benke JR, Kline AD, Levy HP, Kimball A, Mettel TL, Boss EF, Ishman SL. Insomnia in Cornelia de Lange syndrome. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2012 Jul;76(7):972-975.
22. Lin SY, Baugher KM, Brown DJ, Ishman SL. Effects of nasal saline lavage on pediatric sinusitis symptoms and disease specific quality of life. ENT Journal. (Accepted 2011)
23. Ishman SL. Measurement of Pediatric Sleep Disordered Breathing: Are We Doing it Wrong? Laryngoscope. 2012. (Accepted 2012)
24. Tekes A, Ishman S, Baugher KM, Brown DJ, Lin LY, Tunkel DE, Unalp-Arida A, Huisman TAGM. Does microtia predict severity of temporal bone CT abnormalities in children with persistent conductive hearing loss? Journal of Neuroradiology. 2012. (Accepted 2012)
Peer Reviewed Publications:
1. Ishman SL, Brown DJ, Boss EF, Skinner ML, Tunkel DE, Stavinoha R, Lin SY. Development and pilot-testing of an operative competency assessment tool for pediatric bronchoscopy. Laryngoscope. 2010 Nov;120(11):2294-2300.
2. Ishman SL, Smith DF, Skinner ML, Vigilar MV, Mettel TL, Cavey RM, Benke JR, Donahue RL, Ishii LE. Unverifiable Ghost Publications in Otolaryngology Residency Applications. Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery. 2012 Aug;147(2):249-255.
3. Ishman SL, Benke JR, Johnson K, Zur K, Jacobs I, Thorne M, Brown DJ, Lin SY, Deutsch E. Blinded Evaluation of Inter-rater Reliability of an Operative Competency Assessment Tool for Direct Laryngoscopy and Rigid Bronchoscopy. Archives of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery. 2012. (Accepted)
Invited Reviews/Non-peer Reviewed Publications:
1. Bouma S, Worobec S, Baker A, Dubler R, Frias E, Ginsburg S, Hehmann M, Ishman S, et al. Performance of Automated Chemiluminescence Paramagnetic Microparticle Immunoassay for Estradiol, Progesterone, and Testosterone on the Abbott i2000 System. Atlanta, GA, 1997. Clinical Chemistry, Vol. 43, No.6.
2. Ishman SL, Tunkel D. Surgical Management of Chronic Sinusitis in Children (Review). Pediatrics. 2006 Aug:118 (Supp):S23-S24.
3. Ishman SL. Hearing Loss and CdLS. Reaching Out. The Cornelia de Lange Syndrome Foundation. Winter 2010.
4. Ishman SL, Stavinoha R. Sleep Disturbance and CdLS. Reaching Out. The Cornelia de Lange Syndrome Foundation. Winter 2010.
5. Ishman SL, Wei JL. Weight Gain After Adenotonsillectomy Warrants Further Research. American Academy of Pediatrics News. April 2010.
6. Ishman SL. Literature Review: A roundup of important recent studies. ENT Today. August 2011.
7. Ishman SL. Evidence-based Practice: Pediatric Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Otolaryngologic Clinics. 2012. (Accepted)
8. Ishman SL. Literature Review: A roundup of important recent studies. ENT Today. July 2012.
1. Ishman SL, Loehrl TA, Smith MM. Calcification of the Olfactory Bulbs in Three Patients with Hyposmia. Am J Neuroradiol. 2003 Nov-Dec;24(10):2097-2101.
2. Singhi S, Oaks J, Schroeder J, Ishman SL, Huisman TAGM. Inferior Pontine Segmentation Disorder in a Child with Sensorineural Deafness: DTI analysis of fiber tracts. Journal of Neuroradiology. 2011 Mar;38(1):62-65.
- Sleep disorders in adults and children with craniofacial abnormalities such as Down syndrome
- Persistent pediatric obstructive sleep apnea
- Medical student and resident education
- Surgical sleep outcomes