Assistant Professor of Medicine
Education and Experience
- George Washington University School of Medicine (Washington DC)/ (2000)
- University of North Carolina Hospitals (Chapel Hill NC)/ Neurology (2004)
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Baltimore MD)/ Neurology (2006)
- Sleep Medicine, American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology (2009)
- Neurology, American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology (2005)
Neurology - Sleep
- Sleep Center
Dr. Gamaldo received her bachelors degree from the University of Virginia in Charlottesville. She then earned her medical degree from The George Washington University School of Medicine and completed an internship at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center. After her neurology residency at the University of North Carolina Hospital, Dr. Gamaldo became the first neurology clinical sleep research fellow at Johns Hopkins, where she served as a co-investigator on several studies evaluating the pathophysiology of restless legs syndrome (RLS). In July of 2006, Dr. Gamaldo joined The Johns Hopkins Hospital neurology faculty with a joint appointment in the pulmonary critical care division, serving as the first representative from the neurology department to be on staff in the Johns Hopkins Hospital Sleep Center.
2003-2004 Co-chief Resident, UNC Neurology Department
2004 AAN Resident Scholarship Award
2008 JHU Nominee for the Doris Duke Clinical Scientist Development Award
2011 Best in Sleep-Physician 2011, 1800cpap.com
- Sleep Apnea
- Sleep Disorders
- Sleep Medicine
- Snoring Disorders
2007 present Assistant Director, The Johns Hopkins Hospital Sleep Disorders Center
2008 present Assistant Professor, Medicine Department, Pulmonary Division, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
2008 present Co-Director, Johns Hopkins Hospital Neurology Resident and Neurophysiology Fellow, Sleep Medicine Rotation
2011 present Director, Neuro-Sleep Division, Johns Hopkins University
2010 present Medical Director, Johns Hopkins Sleep Disorders Center
2. Gamaldo CE, Benbrook AR, Allen RP, Scott JA, Henning WA, Earley CJ. Childhood and adult factors associated with restless legs syndrome (RLS) diagnosis. Sleep Med. 2007 Nov;8(7-8):716-22.
3. Gamaldo CE, Benbrook AR, Allen RP, Oguntimein O, Earley CJ. A further evaluation of the cognitive deficits associated with restless legs syndrome (RLS). Sleep Med. 2007 Sep 13;
4. Pearson VE, Gamaldo CE, Allen RP, Lesage S, Hening WA, Earley CJ. Medication use in patients with restless legs syndrome compared with a control population. Eur J Neurol. 2008 Jan; 15(1):16-21.
5. Gamaldo CE, Benbrook AR, Allen RP, Oguntimein O, Earley CJ. Evaluating daytime alertness in individuals with restless legs syndrome (RLS) compared to sleep restricted controls. Sleep Med. 2008 Jan 26;
6. Bolla KI, Lesage S, Gamaldo C, Neubauer D, Funderburk F, Cadet JL, David P, Verdejo-Garcia A, Benbrook A. Sleep disturbance in heavy marijuana users. Sleep. 2008 Jun 1;31(6):901-8.
7. Gamaldo CE, Salas R. Sleep medicine education: are medical schools and residency programs napping on the job? Nat Clin Pract Neurol. 2008 Jun;4(6):344-45.
8. Gamaldo,C, Benbrook,AR, Allen,RP, Oguntimein, O, Earley, CJ. Evaluating Daytime Alertness in individuals with Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS) compared to sleep restricted controls. Sleep Medicine. 2009 10:134-138.
9. Salas RE, Gamaldo CE, Allen RP, Earley CJ. Quiescegenic Nocturnal Dyskinesia: A restless legs syndrome (RLS) variant or a new syndrome? Sleep Med. 2008 Aug 13. [Epub ahead of print]
10. Salas,RE, Allen,RP, Earley,CJ, Gamaldo,CE. A Case of Compulsive Behaviors Observed in a RLS Patient Treated with a Dopamine Agonist. Sleep, accepted for publication 2009.
11. Salas,RE, Allen,RP, Earley,CJ, Gamaldo,CE. Drug hoarding: A case of atypical dopamine dysregulation syndrome in a RLS patient. Movement Disorders, 2009 Jan 9. [Epub ahead of print]
12.Gamaldo,C, Benbrook,AR, Allen,RP, Oguntimein, O, Earley, CJ. Evaluating Daytime Alertness in individuals with Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS) compared to sleep restricted controls. Sleep Medicine. 2009 10:134-138.
13. Bolla KI, Lesage SR, Gamaldo CE, Neubauer DN, Wang N, Funderburk FR, Allen RP, David PM, Cadet JL. Polysomnogram Changes in Marijuana Users Reporting Sleep Disturbances during Prior Abstinence. Sleep Medicine. 2010 Oct;11(9):882-9.
14. Earley C, Kuwabara H, Wong D, Gamaldo C, Salas R, Brasic J, Ravert H, Dannals R, Allen R, The Dopamine Transporter is Decreased in the Striatum of Subjects with Restless Legs Syndrome. Sleep, 2011 Mar 1; 34(3): 341-7.
- Sleep Disorders
2004 present Member, American Academy of Sleep Medicine
2005 present Member, World Association of Sleep Medicine