Chair, Department of Surgery
Surgeon-in-Chief, Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions
Education and Experience
- Rush Medical College (Chicago IL)/ (1980)
- University of California, Los Angeles (now David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA) (Los Angeles CA)/ Surgery (1986)
- University of California, Los Angeles (now David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA) (Los Angeles CA)/ Vascular Surgery (1987)
- Surgery, American Board of Surgery (2005)
- Vascular Surgery, American Board of Surgery (2005)
Surgery - Vascular Surgery
- Department of Surgery
- Heart and Vascular Institute
Dr. Freischlag is recognized nationally and internationally as an expert in the diagnosis and treatment of thoracic outlet syndrome. She is presently conducting a quality of life study on all patients before and years after surgical intervention for this disease. She is the national principal investigator of the VA OVER trial (Open Versus Endovascular Repair) of abdominal aortic aneurysms. The study is a prospective randomized trial which has already randomized over 800 patients from 34 medical centers across the country. She is the Editor of the Archives of Surgery which is one of the major surgical journals. She also serves on several other editorial boards. She has published over 150 manuscripts, numerous abstracts and book chapters.
Chair, Department of Surgery
Surgeon-in-Chief, Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions
1995 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society B Medical College of Wisconsin
1995 Senior Women in Medicine Seminar, AAMC
1996 1997 ELAM (Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine) Program for Women
2000 Distinguished Member Award- Association of Women Surgeons
2001 Recipient, Association of Women Surgeons Foundation B Visiting Professor Award
- Aortic Aneurysms
- Carotid Artery Disease
- Carotid Body Tumors
- Carotid Endarterectomy
- General Surgery
- Limb Salvage Surgery
- Lower Extremity Revascularization
- Peripheral Arterial Disease
- Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
- Vascular Surgery
1988 American Board of Surgery, Vascular Surgery 1995, 2005 Re-certified
1999 Licensed Radiography and Fluoroscopy, X-Ray Supervisor and Operator State of California
2. Saalwachter AR, Freischlag JA, Sawyer RG, Sanfey HA. The training needs and priorities of male and female surgeons and their trainees. J Am Coll Surg. 201(2):199-205, 2005.
3. Marcu L, Fang Q, Jo JA, Papaioannou T, Dorafshar A, Reil T, Qiao JH, Baker JD, Freischlag JA, Fishbein MC. In vivo detection of macrophages in a rabbit atherosclerotic model by time-resolved laser-induced fluorescence spectroscopy. Atherosclerosis. 181(2):295-303, 2005.
4. Jo JA, Fang Q, Papaioannou T, Qiao JH, Fishbein MC, Beseth B, Dorafshar AH, Reil T, Baker D, Freischlag J, Marcu L. Application of the laguerre deconvolution method for time-resolved fluorescence spectroscopy to the characterization of atherosclerotic plaques. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 6:6559-62, 2005
5. Caparrelli DJ, Freischlag J. A unified approach to axillosubclavian venous thrombosis in a single hospital admission. Semin Vasc Surg. 18(3):153-7, 2005.
6. McGirt MJ, Perler BA, Brooke BS, Woodworth GF, Coon A, Jain S, Buck D, Roseborough GS, Tamargo RJ, Heller J, Fresichlag JA, Williams GM. 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibitors reduce the risk of perioperative stroke and mortality after carotid endarterectomy. J Vasc Surg. 42(5):829-36, 2005.
7. Eckhauser FE, Freischlag JA. Volunteerism. Arch Surg. 140(11):1063-5, 2005.
8. Freischlag JA. An unfortunate preventable complication: duplicate publication. Arch Surg. 141(2):119, 2006.
9. Mithani SK, Marohn MR. Freischlag JA, Dackiw AP, Zeiger MA. Laparoscopic resection of a paraganglioma of the organ of Zuckerkandl in a patient with a carotid body tumor. Am Surg. 72(1):55-9, 2006.
10. Makary MA, Sexton JB. Freischlag JA, Millman EA, Pryor D. Holzmueller C, Pronovost PJ Patient safety in surgery. Ann Surg. 243(5):628-32; discussion 632-5, 2006.
11. Saalwachter AR, Freischlag JA, Sawyer RG, Sanfey HA. Part-time training in general surgery: results of a web-based survey. Arch Surg. Oct; 141(10):977-82, 2006
12. JO JA, Fang Q, Papaioannou T, Qiao JH, Fishbein MC, Beseth B, Dorafshar AH, Reil T, Baker D, Freischlag J, Shung KK, Sun L, Marcu L. Diagnosis of vulnerable atherosclerotic plaques by time-resolved fluorescence spectroscopy and ultrasound imaging. Con Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 1:2663-6, 2006.
13. Makary MA, Sexton JB, Freischlag JA, Holzmueller CG, Millman EA, Rowen L, Pronovost PJ. Operating room teamwork among physicians and nurses: teamwork in the eye of the beholder. J Am Coll Surg. 202(5):746-52, 2006.
14. Jo JA, Fang Q, Papaioannou T, Baker JD, Dorafshar AH, Reil T, Qiao JH, Fishbein MC, Freischlag JA, Marcu L. Laguerre-based method for analysis of time-resolved fluorescence data: application to in-vivo characterization and diagnosis of atherosclerotic lesions. J Biomed Opt. 11(2):021004, Mar-Apr, 2006.
15. Caparrelli DJ, Tabulov DM, Freischlag JA. Image of the month. Subclavian artery aneurysm secondary to cervical rib. Arch Surg. 141(5):513, 2006.
16. Makary MA. Pronovost PJ, Weiss ES, Millman EA, Chang D, Baker SP, Cornwell EE 3rd Syin D, Freischlag JA. Sharpless surgery: a prospective study of the feasibility of performing operations using non-sharp techniques in an urban, university-based surgical practice. World J Surg. 30(7):1224-9, 2006.
17. Makary MA, Holzmueller CG, Thompson D, Rowen L, Heitmiller ES, Maley WR, Black JH, Stegner K, Freischlag JA, Ulatowski JA, Pronovost PJ. Operating room briefings: working on the same page. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 32(6):351-5, 2006.
18. Makary MA, Holzmueller CG, Sexton JB. Thompson DA, Martinez EA, Freischlag JA, Ulatowski JA, Heitmiller ES, Rowen L, Pronovost PJ. Operating room debriefings. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 32(7):407-10, 357, 2006.
19. Makary MA, Epstein J, Pronovost P, Millman EA, Hartmann EC, Freischlag JA. Surgical Specimen Identification errors: A new measure of quality in surgical care. Surgery. 141:450-455, 2007.
20. Brooke BS, McGert MJ, Woodworth GF, Chang DC, Roseborough GS, Freischlag JA, Perler BA. Perioperative statin and diuretic use influence the presentation of patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy: results of a large single institution case control study. J Vasc Surg 45(2): 298-303, 2007.
21. MacLean AA, Vricella LA, Freischlag JA. Innominate artery aneurysm. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. Nov;32(5):803, 2007.
22. Freischlag JA. The new generation of surgeons: a panel discussion at the Pacific Coast Surgical Association. Arch Surg. Aug;142(8):703, 2007.
23. Aboumatar HJ, Blackledge CG Jr, Dickson C, Heitmiller E, Freischlag J, Pronovost PJ. A descriptive study of morbidity and mortality conferences and their conformity to medical incident analysis models: results of the morbidity and mortality conference improvement study, phase 1. Am J Med Qual.Jul-Aug;22(4):232-8, 2007.
24. Chang DC, Lidor AO, Matsen SL, Freischlag JA. Reported in-hospital complications following rib resections for neurogenic thoracic outlet syndrome. Ann Vasc Surg. Sep;21(5):564-70, 2007.
25. Jo JA, Marcu L, Fang Q, Papaioannou T, Qiao JH, Fishbein MC, Beseth B, Dorafshar AH, Reil T, Baker D, Freischlag J. New methods for time-resolved fluorescence spectroscopy data analysis based on the Laguerre expansion techniqueapplications in tissue diagnosis. Methods Inf Med. 46(2):206-11, 2007.
26. Freischlag JA. Crossing the River. Arch Surg. 14 2(2):112, 2007.
27. Hellman DB, Grand DJ, Freischlag JA. Inflammatory abdominal aortic aneurysm. J AMA. 24;297(4):395-400, 2007.
28. Freischlag JA. Request for commentaries. Arch Surg. 142(1):7, 2007.
29. deLeon R, Chang DC, Busse C, Call D, Freischlag JA. First rib resection and scalenectomy for chronically occluded subclavian veins: what does it really do? Ann Vasc Surg. 22(3):395-401, 2008.
30. Kemp CD, Bath JM, Berger J, Bergsman A, Ellison T, Emery K, Garonzik-Wang J, Hui-Chou HG, Mayo SC, Serrano, OK, Shridharani S, Zuberi K, Lipsett PA, Freischlag JA. The top 10 list for a safe and effective signout. Arch Surg 143(10): 1008-10, 2008.
31. Freischlag JA. Women Surgeons still in a male dominated world. Yale J Biol Med 81(4): 203-4, 2008.
32. Freischlag, JA. Invited commentary: some things cannot be delegated. J Am Coll Surg 208(2):297-8, 2009.
33. Chang DC, Rotellini-Coltvet LA, Mukherjee D, deLeon R, Freischlag JA. Surgical intervention for thoracic outlet improves patients quality of life. J Vas Surg, 49(3):630-5, 2009.
34. Balch CM, Freischlag JA, Shanafelt TD. Stress and burnout among surgeons: understanding and managing the syndrome and avoiding the adverse consequences. Arch Surg 144(4):371-6, 2009.
35. Freischlag JA. Avoiding the appearance of faculty favoritism. Virtual Mentor. 2009;11(4):284-286, 2009.
36. Fugate MW, Rotellini-Coltvet L, Freischlag JA. Current Management of thoracic outlet syndrome. Curr Treat Options Cardiovasc Med, 11(2): 176-83, 2009.
37. de Leon RA, Chang, DC, Hassoun, HT, Black, JH, Roseborough, GS, Perler, BA, Rotellini-Coltvet, L, Call D, Busse C, Freischlag, JA. Multiple treatment algorithms for successful outcomes in venous thoracic outlet syndrome. Surgery, 145(5):500-7, 2009.
38. Meguid RA, Brooke BS, Perler BA, Freischlag JA. Impact of hospital teaching status on survival from ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. J Vasc Surg, 50:243-50, 2009.
39. Marcu L, Javier Jo, Fang Q, Papaioannou T, Reilt T, Qiao JH, Baker D, Freischlag JA, Fishbein MC, Detection of rupture prone atherosclerotic plaques by time-resolved laser-induced fluorescence spectroscopy. Atherosclerosis, 204(1): 156-64, May 2009.
40. Shanafelt TD; Balch CM; Bechamps GJ; Russell T; Dyrbye L; Satele D; Collicott P; Novotny PJ; Sloan J; Freischlag JA. Burnout and medical errors among American surgeons. Ann Surg. 250(3):463-71, 2009.
41. Balch CM; Freischlag JA; Shanafelt TD. Stress and burnout amount surgeons: understanding and managing the syndrome and avoiding the adverse consequences. Arch Surg. 144(4):371-6, 2009.
42. de Leon RA; Chang DC; Hassoun HT; Black JH; Roseborough GS; Perler BA; Rotellini-Coltvet L; Busse C; Freischlag JA. Multiple treatment algorithms for successful outcomes in venous thoracic outlet syndrome. Surgery 145(5):500-7, 2009.
43. Fugate MW; Rotellini-Coltvet L; Freischlag JA. Current management of thoracic outlet syndrome. Curr Treat Options Cardiovasc Med. 11(2):176-83, 2009
44. Freischlag JA. Invited commentary: some things cannot be delegated. J Am Coll Surg. 208(2):297-8, 2009.
45. Chang DC, Rotellini-Coltvet LA; Mukherjee D; de Leon R; Freischlag JA. Surgical intervention for thoracic outlet syndrome improves patients quality of life. J Vasc Surg. 49(3):630-5, 2009.
46. Lederle FA, Freischlag JA, Kyriakides TC, Padberg FT Jr, Matsumura JS, Kohler TR, Lin PH, jean-Claude JM, Cikrit DF, Swanson KM, Peduzzi PN; Outcomes Following Endovascular vs Open Repair of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm: A Randomized Study Group. JAMA. 14:302(14); 1535-42, 2009.
47. Freischlag JA. We have a failure to communicate. Ann Surg. 250(6):866-7, 2009.
48. Freischlag JA. Encouraging teamwork to decrease surgical complications. Virtual Mentor 12:111-113, 2010.
- Quality of life outcomes after surgical intervention for thoracic outlet syndrome
- Endovascular versus open repair for abdominal aortic aneurysms