Education and Experience
- University of California San Francisco (San Francisco CA)/ (1994)
- University of Southern California Medical Center (Los Angeles CA)/ Ophthalmology (1998)
- Proctor Foundation (San Francisco CA)/ Corneal External Disease/Refractive Surg (2000)
- Ophthalmology, American Board of Ophthalmology (2011)
Ophthalmology - Cornea and Anterior Segment
- Wilmer Eye Institute
In addition to being certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology, she is a fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) and a member of the Cornea Society, an honorary society to which admission is based on a thesis and publications. Her research activities include clinical outcomes of laser refractive surgery, wound healing after refractive surgery, and the evaluation and treatment of infectious keratitis. She is well-published in the peer-review literature and presents her work at the AAO, Assoc'n for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology,and Amer. Soc. of Cataract and Refractive Surgery meetings.
Eye Bank Association of America Scientific Award
3. Kuo IC, Seitz B, LaBree L, McDonnell P. Can zinc prevent apoptosis of anterior keratocytes after superficial keratectomy? Cornea 1997;16(5):550-555.
4. Kuo IC, Kapusta MA, Rao NA. Vitritis as the primary manifestation of syphilis in HIV patients. American Journal of Ophthalmology 1998;125(3):306-311.
5. Grossniklaus H, Martin DF, Avery R, Shields JA, Shields CL, Kuo IC, Green RL, Rao NA. Uveal lymphoid infiltration: Report of four cases and clinicopathologic review. Ophthalmology 1998;105(7):1265-1273.
6. Kuo IC, Cunningham ET. Ocular neovascularization in patients with uveitis. International Ophthalmology Clinics 2000;40(2):111-26.
7. Kuo IC, Rechdouni A, Rao NA, Johnston RH, Margolis TP, Cunningham ET. Subretinal fibrosis in patients with Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada syndrome. Ophthalmology 2000;107:1721-1728.
8. Kuo IC,* Cunningham ET, Fan J. Ophthalmic manifestations of NOMID syndrome. American Journal of Ophthalmology 2000;130(6):856-858. (*corresponding author)
9. Kuo IC, Ou R, Hwang DG. Flap haze after epithelial debridement and flap hydration for treatment of post-LASIK striae. Cornea 2001;20(3):339-341.
10. Kuo IC, Hwang DG. Aspergillus fumigatus keratitis following laser in situ keratomileusis. Cornea 2001;20(3):342-344.
11. Kuo IC, Liu WQ, Kuppermann B, Martin D, Margolis TP. Genotypic analysis of cytomegalovirus retinitis poorly responsive to intravenous ganciclovir but responsive to the ganciclovir implant. American Journal of Ophthalmology 2003;135(1):20-25.
12. Kuo IC, Cevallos V, Troyer R, Lietman T, McLeod SD. Efficacy of transport media use vs. direct inoculation of blood agar plates in the microbiologic evaluation of experimental Streptococcus pneumoniae keratitis. Cornea 2003;22(3):249-53.
13. Kuo IC,* Lee SM, Soya K, Holsclaw DS, Hwang, DG. Late onset haze and myopic regression after PRK. Cornea 2004;23:350-5. (*corresponding author)
14. Kuo IC. Corneal wound healing. Current Opinion of Ophthalmolmology 2004;15(4):311-5.
15. Kuo IC. Bernice Zimmer Brown. Archives of Ophthalmology 2004;122:939.
16. Jabbur NS, Chicani CF, Kuo IC, OBrien TP. Risk factors in interface epithelialization after laser in situ keratomileusis. Journal of Refractive Surgery 2004;20(4):343-348.
17. Kuo IC,* Kempen JH, Jabs DA. Clinical characteristics and outcomes of cytomegalovirus retinitis in persons without human immunodeficiency virus infection. American Journal of Ophthalmology 2004;138:338-346. (*corresponding author)
18. Kuo IC,* Ghajarnia M, OBrien TP, Jabbur NS. Excimer laser surgery for correction of ametropia after cataract surgery. J Cataract Refract Surg 2005;31(11):2104-10. (*corresponding author)
19. Kuo IC,* Broman AT, Pirouzmanesh A, Melia M. Is there an association between diabetes and keratoconus? Ophthalmology 2006; 113(2):184-90. (*corresponding author)
20. Kuo IC,*OBrien TP, Haller JA, Jabbur NS. Complications of sequential keratorefractive and vitreoretinal surgery. J Cataract Refract Surg 2006;32:2146-8. (*corresponding author)
21. Reviglio VE, Kuo IC, Gramajo L, Olmedo MA, Falco M, Juarez CP. Acute rhegmatogenous retinal detachment immediately following laser in situ keratomileusis. J Cataract Refract Surg 2007; 33:536-9.
22. Kuo IC. Response to Letter to the Editor, "Is There an Association between Diabetes and Keratoconus. Ophthalmology 2007; 114:1034-5.
23. Ramulu P, Green WR, Kuo IC. * Conjunctival lymphoid hyperplasia. Cornea 2007;26:484-6 (*corresponding author).
24. Reviglio VE, Sambuelli R, Olmedo A, Falco M, Echenique, OBrien TP, Kuo IC. Secretory leukocyte protease inhibitor is an inducible antimicrobial peptide expressed in Staphylococcus aureus endophthalmitis, Mediators of Inflamm 2007; 2007:93857-93966 (senior author).
25. Kuo IC,* Jabbur NS, OBrien TP. Photorefractive keratectomy for refractory LASIK flap striae. J Cataract Refract Surg 2008; 34:330-3. (* corresponding author).
26. Kuo IC, Falco M, Olmedo A, Misani L, O''Brien TP, Reviglio VE. Corneal tattoo with tea infusion. Food Chem Toxicol 2008; 46:2303-5. Feb 12, 2008 E-pub ahead of print.
27. Kuo IC, Haller JA, Reviglio VE. Intravitreal bevacizumab for a subfoveal choroidal metastasis of colorectal adenocarcinoma. Arch Ophthalmol 2008;126(9):1311-3.
28. Kuo IC,* Reviglio VE. Wavefront-guided refractive surgery after multifocal lens implantation. In press Current Opinion in Ophthalmology. 2009 Apr 24. [Epub ahead of print] (* corresponding author)
29. Kuo IC, Myrowitz E, Chuck R, Schein O. Wavefront-guided photorefractive keratectomy to correct ametropia following aspheric ReSTOR implantation (provisionally accepted by J Refract Surg, pending revision 3/18/2009).
- wound-healing after infectious keratitis
- clinical outcomes after refractive surgery
- corneal wound-healing after laser refractive surgery
- antibiotics in corneal storage medium
Fellow of the American Board of Ophthalmology
Association for Research and Vision in Ophthalmology
Castroviejo Cornea Society member (membership to this society is based on thesis and publications)
American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Member
Women in Ophthalmology member