Education and Experience
- Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine (Chicago IL)/ (2000)
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Baltimore MD)/ Medicine (2003)
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Baltimore MD)/ Medicine / Cardiology (2007)
- Cardiovascular Disease, American Board of Internal Medicine (2006)
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine (2003)
Medicine - Cardiology
- Ciccarone Center for Preventive Cardiology
- Heart and Vascular Institute
- Women's Cardiovascular Health Center
Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society, 1996
Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Society, 1999
Trudy Bush award recipient Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (given to a MHS degree candidate in recognition for research in the area of womens health), 2007
Delta Omega Public Health Honor Society, 2007
PJ Schafer Award in Cardiovascular Research, Johns Hopkins Ciccarone Preventive Cardiology Center, presented at Heartfest, 2007
Northwestern University Young Investigator finalist, 2008
- Cardiology Consultation
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Cardiovascular Disease in Women
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Heart Disease
- Heart Disease Prevention and Treatment in Women
- High Cholesterol
- Lipid Disorders
- Preventive Cardiology
- Stress Testing
- Transesophogeal Echocardiography
- Vitamin D Deficiency
2.Michos ED, Nasir K, Rumberger JA, Vasamreddy CR, Braunstein JB, Budoff MJ, Blumenthal RS. Relation of Family History of Premature Coronary Heart Disease and Metabolic Risk Factors to Risk of Coronary Arterial Calcium in Asymptomatic Individuals. American Journal of Cardiology 2005;95:655-57.
3. Michos ED, Vasamreddy CR, Becker DM, Yanek LR, Moy TF, Fishman E, Becker LC, Blumenthal RS. Women with a Low Framingham Risk Score and a Family History of Premature CHD Have a High Prevalence of Subclinical Atherosclerosis. Am Heart J 2005;150:1276-81.
4.Nasir K, Michos ED, Blumenthal RS, Raggi P. Detection of High-Risk Asymptomatic Adults with Coronary Calcium and National Cholesterol Education Panel-III Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005;46:1931-6.
5. Michos ED, Nasir K, Braunstein JB, Rumberger JA, Budoff MJ, Post WS, Blumenthal RS. Framingham Risk Equation Underestimates Subclinical Atherosclerosis Risk in Asymptomatic Women. Atherosclerosis 2006;184:201-6.
6.Michos ED, Ardehali R, Blumenthal RS, Lange RA, Ardehali H. Aspirin and Clopidogrel Resistance: A Review. Mayo Clin Proc 2006;81(4):518-26.
7.Ouyang P, Michos ED, Karas R. Hormone Replacement Therapy and the Cardiovascular System: Lessons Learned and Unanswered Questions. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006;47:1741-1753.
8. Michos ED, Blumenthal RS. Vitamin D and Cardiovascular Risk. Circulation 2007;115(7):827-8
9.Blumenthal RS, Michos ED, Nasir K. Further Improvements in Women CHD Risk Prediction: By inches or yards? JAMA 2007;297(6):641-3.
10. Michos ED, Blumenthal RS. Risk Prediction in Women: Is it Time for a New Algorithm? Review of Endocrinology July/August 2007:35-39.
11. Michos ED, Melamed ML. Vitamin D and Cardiovascular Disease Risk: A Review. Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care 2008;11(1):7-12.
12.Michos ED, Vaidya D, Gapstur SM, Schreiner PJ, Golden SH, Wong ND, Criqui MH, Ouyang P. Sex Hormones, Sex Hormone Binding Globulin, and Abdominal Aortic Calcification in Women and Men in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Atherosclerosis 2008;20(2):432-8.
13.Melamed ML*, Michos ED*, Post W, Astor B. 25(OH) Vitamin D Levels and the Risk of Mortality in the General Population. Archives of Internal Medicine 2008:168;1629-37. *These authors contributed equally to the work.
14. Pollin IS, Kral BG, Shattuck T, Sadler MD, Boyle JR, McKillop L, Campbell C, Ashen MD, Nasir K, Redberg RF, BrintzenhofeSzoc K, Blumenthal RS, Michos ED. High Prevalence of Cardiometabolic Risk Factors in Women Considered Low Risk by Traditional Risk Assessment. Journal of Womens Health 2008:17:947-53.
15. Melamed ML, Muntner P, Michos ED, Uribarri J, Weber C, Sharma J, Raggi P. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D Levels and the Prevalence of Peripheral Arterial Disease: Results from NHANES 2001-2004. Athero Thromb Vasc Biol 2008;28(6):1179-85.
16.Reis JP, Michos ED, von Muhlen D, Miller ER. Differences in vitamin D status as a possible contributor to the racial disparity in peripheral arterial disease. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2008; 88:1469-77
17. Michos ED. Cardiovascular Risk Stratification in Women and Younger Adults. CMD (Cardiovascular and Metabolic Diseases) Management; 2008; 13(2):4-6.
18.Michos ED, Streeten EA, Ryan KA, Rampersaud E, Peyser PA, Bielak LF, Shuldiner AR, Mitchell BD, Post W. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels are not associated with subclinical vascular disease or C-reactive protein in the Old Order Amish. Calcific Tissue International 2009;84(3):195-202.
19.Michos ED. Vitamin D deficiency and the risk of incident type 2 diabetes. Future Cardiology 2009;5(1):15-
20. Michos ED. Blumenthal RS. The Prevalence of Low LDL-Cholesterol with Elevated High Sensitivity C-reactive Protein in the United States: Implications of the JUPITER Study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009;53:931-935.
21. Michos ED et al. Factors associated with low levels of subclinical vascular disease in older adults: Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Preventive Cardiology 2009 Spring;12(2):72-9.
22.Michos ED et al. Favorable cardiovascular risk factor profile is associated with reduced prevalence of coronary artery calcification and inflammation in asymptomatic non-diabetic white men. Preventive Cardiology 2009 Winter;4(1):33-9..
23. Blumenthal RS, Michos ED. The HALTS trial halting atherosclerosis or halted too early? N Engl
J Med. 2009 Nov 26;361(22):2178-80.
- vitamin D and cardiovascular health
- Women and heart disease
- sex hormones and cardiovascular disease
- subclinical atherosclerosis imaging
- preventive cardiology
Professional Member, American College of Cardiology
Member, Board of Directors, American Heart Association local chapter, Baltimore, MD