Education and Experience
- Baylor College of Medicine (Houston TX)/ (1978)
- University of Alabama Hospital (Birmingham AL)/ Internal Medicine (1981)
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine (1981)
Medicine - Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology
Private practice of Internal Medicine in Columbia, SC until joining faculty in the Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology in 1995. Clinical concentration on caring for older adults with complex health needs in the office and hospital settings. Academic concentration on teaching, program development in education and clinical care.
Roles in the Division included Fellowship Program Director (2003 - 2006), Clinical Director and Director of Education (2004 - 2008), Interim Director of the Division (2008 - 2009) and Director, Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology to present.
- Clinical care of older adults
- General Internal Medicine
- Health services research
- Medical education and program administration
1. Durso SC. Teaching Ambulatory Medicine: Moving Medical Education into the Office. The Johns Hopkins University Press. 2002
2. Oxford American Handbook of Geriatric Medicine. Samuel C. Durso, Editor. Oxford University Press. 2010
Peer Reviewed Articles
1. Durso SC, Drachman DB: Performance Hand Cramps in a Violinist, Remitting with Quinine Sulfate: A Case Report. Med Probl Perform Art. 1996; 11:120 22
2. Wendel VI, Durso SC, Remsburg RE. Studying Coronary Artery Disease in the Retirement Community. The Nurse Practitioner. 2001; 26(10): 48 55
3. Remsburg RE, Bennett RG, Wendel VI, and Durso SC: Demographic and Health Characteristics of Residents Choosing to Use On-Site Medical Care in a Newly Opened Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC). J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2002; 3: 297 301
4. Durso SC, Wendel VI, Letzt AM, Lefkowitz J, Kaseman DF, Siefert RF. Older Adults Using Cellular Telephones for Diabetes Management: A Pilot Study. MedSurg Nursing. 2003; 12(5): 313 17
5. Maki PM, Ernst M, London ED, Mordecai KL, Perschler P, Durso SC, Brandt J, Dobs A, Resnick SM. "Intramuscular Testosterone Treatment in Elderly Men: Evidence of Memory Decline and Altered Brain Function", Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2007; 92(11): 410 14
6. Durso SC: The Season's End. On Being a Doctor, Ann Intern Med. 1998; 129: 158 60 (cited in the forward and selected for inclusion in On Being a Doctor 2: Voices of Physicians and Patients, 1999. Edited by Michael LaCombe)
7. Durso SC: On Service, Off Service. Patients Our Teachers, Pharos. Spring, 2000; 63 (2): 25 6
8. Durso SC: Trust. On Being a Patient. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2002; 137:1004 5 (selected for inclusion in On Being a Doctor 3: Voices of Physicians and Patients, 2007. Edited by Michael LaCombe).
9. Durso SC: A Piece of My Mind. A Survivors Way. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2002; 288(3): 287 8
10. Wendel VI, Durso SC, Zable BE, Loman K and Remsburg RE. A Model for Group Diabetes Patient Education in a Continuing Care Retirement Community. Journal of Gerontological Nursing 2003, 29(2): 37 44
11. Simpson C, Durso SC, Fried LP, Bailey T, Boyd C, Burton JR: The Johns Hopkins Summer Scholars Program: A Model to Increase Diversity in Geriatric Medicine. J Amer Geriatr Soc, 2005 Sep; 53(9): 1607 12
12. Park E, Candler C, Durso SC. Medical student perception of selected instructional methods. International Journal of Self-Directed Learning 2005; 2 (2): 55 65
13. Durso SC: Using Clinical Guidelines Designed for Older Adults with Diabetes Mellitus and Complex Health Status. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2006; 295:1935 40
14. Park E, Durso SC, Confessore GJ. A case study of educational practices for the aging global population. Lifelong Education and Libraries. 2006; 5:69 82
15. Wendel VI, Durso SC. A Case Study: Challenges and Issues Caring for the Older Adult across the Spectrum of Settings. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 2006; 600 6
16. Durso SC: Watching Out for Older Drivers. MedEdPORTAL; 2006. Available from:
http://www.aamc.org/mededportal, ID = 194. POGOe http://www.pogoe.org/px/index.
17. Park E, Christmas C, Schmaltz HN, Durso SC. The perceived change of diverse clinician-educators through an intensive course on teaching geriatrics. International Journal of Self-Directed Learning 2006; 3(1): 36 51
18. Park E, Christmas C, Durso SC, Geriatric Learning Questionnaire for Clinician-Educators (G-CEL-Q). Portal Online Geriatric Education; August 7, 2009. Available from: http://www.pogoe.org/productid/20186
19. Doberman D, Yasar S, Durso SC. Would you refer this patient to hospice? An evaluation of tools for determining life-expectancy in patients with end-stage dementia. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2007; 10: 1410 19
20. Mayer RS, Shah A, De Lateur B, Durso SC. Proposal for a required clerkship in chronic disease and illness for medical students. Amer J of Phys Med and Rehab. 2008; 87 (2): 162 7
21. Boult C, Christmas C, Durso SC, Leff B, Boult LB, Fried LP. Perspective: Transforming Chronic Care for Older Adults. Academic Medicine. 2008; 83 (7): 627 31
22. Christmas C, Park E, Schmaltz H, Gozu A, Durso SC. A model intensive course in geriatric teaching for non-geriatrician educators. J Gen Intern Med. 2008; 28(7): 1048 52
23. Christmas C, Kravet S, Durso SC, Wright SM. Clinical Excellence in Academia: Perspectives from Masterful Academic Clinicians. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2008; 83 (9): 989 94
24. McNabney MK, Willging P, Fried LP, Durso SC. The Continuum of Care for Older Adults: Design and Evaluation of an Educational Series. J Amer Geriatr Soc. 2009 57 (6):1088 95
25. Huq F, Park E, Cayea D, Butteri M, Tan E, Burton J, Wright SM, Durso SC. What Academic Internal Medicine Subspecialists Identify as Important Geriatric Learning Needs for Residents: A Pilot Study J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009 57 (10): 1961 2
26. Durso SC, Christmas C, Kravet S, Parsons G, Wright SW. Implications of academic medicines failure to recognize clinical excellence. Clinical Medicine and Research. 2009;7 (4): 127 33 (accompanied by guest editorial 2009; 7 (4): 125 26)
27. Arbaje, AI, Maron, DD, Yu, Q; Wendel, IV, Tanner, E; Boult, C, Eubank, KJ, Durso, SC. The Geriatric Floating Interdisciplinary Transition Team. J Amer Geriatr Soc. 2010 Feb; 58(2):364-70.
28. Wendel VI, Durso SC, Cayea D, Arbaje AI, Tanner E. Implementing staff nurse geriatric education in the acute hospital setting. MedSurg Nursing. MedSurg Nurs. 2010 Sep-Oct;19(5):274-80 (winner of the 2010-2011 MEDSURG Nursing Nurse Competence in Aging Writers Award)
29. Leng S, Xinping T, Xiaohong L, Lazarus G, Bellantoni M, Greenough W, Fried LP, Shen T, Durso SC. An International Model for Geriatrics Program Development in China: The Johns Hopkins Peking Union Medical College Experience. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58(7):1376-81
30. Butteri MJ, Radu C, Huq F, Wigglesworth A, Durso SC, Bellantoni M: Flu in 15: A Novel 15 Minute Education Program to Promote Acceptance of the Influenza Vaccine Among Health Care Workers. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2010;11(7):523-7
31. Wright SW, Kravet S, Christmas C, Durso SC: Creating an Academy of Clinical Excellence at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center: A 3-Year Experience. Acad Med. 2010 Dec;85(12):1833-9
32. McNabney M, Fedarko N, Durso SC. Speed-dating as a technique to efficiently align mentees and mentors in a geriatrics training program. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58(11):2245-6.
33. Hayashi JL, Christmas C, Durso SC. Educational outcomes from a novel house call curriculum for internal medicine residents: Report of a three-year experience. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011 Jul; 59(7):1340-9.
34. Christmas C, Kravet S, Durso SC, Wright S. Advantages and challenges of working as a clinician in an academic department of medicine: academic clinicians' perspectives. J Grad Med Educ. 2010 Sep; 2(3):478-84.
35. Kravet S, Christmas C, Durso SC, Wright SW. The intersection between clinical excellence and role modeling. J Grad Med Ed (in press)
36. Heflin MT, Bragg E J, Fernandez H, Christmas C, Osterweil D, Sauvigne K, Warshaw G, Cohen H J, Leipzig R, Reuben D B, Durso SC, The Donald W. Reynolds Consortium for Faculty Development to Advance Geriatric Education (FD~AGE): A model for dissemination of subspecialty educational expertise. Acad Med. (in press)
1. Durso SC: Technological Advances for Improving Medication Adherence in the Elderly. Annals of Long-term Care. 2001; 9(4): 43 8)
2. Durso SC: Interaction with Other Health Team Members in Caring for Elderly Patients. Dental Clinics of North America 2005; 49: 377 88
3. Cayea D, Boyd C, Durso SC. Individualizing Therapy for Older Adults with Diabetes Mellitus. Drugs and Aging. 2007, 24 (10):851 63
4. Cayea D, Durso SC. Management of Diabetes in the Nursing Home. Annals of Long-term Care. 2007;15(5):27 33)
5. Durso SC. Prioritizing Care for Older Adults with Multiple Comorbidities: Working in the Zone of Complexity. Aging Health. 2007; 3(6): 715 21
6. Shah A, Durso SC. Application of Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Care of Older Adults with Diabetes Mellitus. Patient Care. 2007; pages 18 25
7. Cayea D, Durso SC. Management of Diabetes Mellitus in the Nursing Home. Annals of Long-term Care: Clinical Care and Aging. 2008; 16 (12: suppl 1): 6 11 (2008 Clinical Compendium of best articles with updates and clinical pearls)
- Education and health services research
American College of Physicians, Fellow
Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society