Education and Experience
- Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine (Chicago IL)/ (1995)
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Baltimore MD)/ General Surgery (2002)
- Massachusetts General Hospital (Boston MA)/ General Vascular Surgery (2004)
- Vascular Surgery, American Board of Surgery (2005)
- Surgery, American Board of Surgery (2003)
Surgery - Vascular Surgery
- Heart and Vascular Institute
2008 Aortic Dissection: Management in the Endovascular Era. Tumulty Post- graduate Course. Directors: William Schlott MD, John Flynn MD, and Lisa Simonson MD.
2008 Peripheral Vascular Manifestations of Loeys-Dietz Syndrome. Society for Vascular Surgery Annual Meeting. San Diego, California.
2008 Aneurysms Outside the Aorta. National Marfan Foundation Annual Meeting. Boston, Massachusetts.
2008 Accuracy of Duplex Ultrasonography to Evaluate Renal Malperfusion Syndromes in Aortic Dissection. Eastern Vascular Society, Boston, Massachusetts.
2009 Long-term results of eversion carotid endarterectomy. Peripheral Vascular Surgery Society Winter Meeting, Steamboat Springs, Colorado.
2009 Around the block with PAD. Department of Medicine Grand Rounds, Suburban Hospital, Bethesda, Maryland.
2009 Contemporary Results of Vascular Intervention in Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. Society for Vascular Surgery Annual Meeting, Denver, Colorado.
2009 GENTAC Registry Consortium (Genetically Triggered Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms and Cardiovascular Conditions)
- Abdominal Aneurysms
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm
- Aortic Aneurysms
- Aortic Stent-Grafts/Endografts
- Aortic Surgery
- Arterial Aneurysm
- Arteriovenous Fistulas
- Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
- Endovascular Therapies
- General Surgery
- Inherited Heart Diseases
- Intermittent Claudication
- Laser Atherectomy
- Limb Salvage Surgery
- Lower Extremity Angioplasty
- Lower Extremity Revascularization
- Lower Extremity Stenting
- Marfan Syndrome
- Mesenteric Arterial Insufficiency
- Minimally Invasive Endovascular Aneurysm Repair
- Peripheral Arterial Disease
- Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Redo Lower Extremity Vascular Reconstruction
- Renal Artery Disease
- Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms
- Thoracic Imaging
- Thoracic Surgery
- Vascular Disease
- Vascular Surgery
- Vascular Ultrasound
- Venous Disease
- Venous Insufficiency
- Visceral Stenting
- Visceral Vessel Reconstruction
Johns Hopkins Surgical Residents Teaching Award, 2002.
Alpha Omega Alpha Medical School Honor Society, 1994.
1. Black, JH, Davison JK, Cambria RP. Regional hypothermia with epidural cooling for prevention of spinal cord ischemic complications after thoracoabdominal aortic surgery. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2003 Oct; 15(4):345-52. Review.
2. Black JH, Cambria RP. Aortic Dissection: Perspective for the Vascular/Endovascular Surgeon. For, 6th Edition of Rutherfords Textbook of Vascular Surgery. 2005.
3. Ridell JM, Black JH, Brewster DC, Dunn PF. Endovascular Aneurysm Repair. Int Anesthiol Clin. 2005 Winter, 43(1):79-91. Review.
4. Levine WC, Lee JJ, Black JH, Cambria RP, Davison JK. Thoracoabdominal aneurysm repair: anesthetic management. Int Anesthesiol Clin. 2005 Winter; 43 (1): 39-60. Review.
5. Black JH. Peripheral Arterial Disease, Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms, and Peripheral Aneurysms. Principles of Ambulatory Medicine, 7th edition, 2007. Editors: Fiebach NH, Kern DE, Thomas PA, and Ziegelstein RC.
5. Brooke B, Black JH. Clinical Vascular Examination. For, Image Guided Interventions. 2007. Editors: Murphy K, and Venbrux T, MD.
6. Matsen SA, Black, JH. Endovascular Repair of Thoracic Aortic Pathology: A New Approach to Aneurysm, Dissection, Ulceration and Traumatic Lesions. For, The Johns Hopkins Manual of Cardiothoracic Surgery (1st Edition). 2007 Editor: David Yuh, MD.
7. Black JH. Thoracoabdominal and Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms. For, Current Surgical Therapy, 10th ed. Editor: John L. Cameron, MD. 2008
8. Black, JH. Aneurysms caused by Connective Tissue Disorder. For, Rutherford's Textbook of Vascular Surgery, 7th Ed. Editor: Jack Cronenwett, MD and James Seeger, MD. 2009.
9. Black, JH, Arnaoutakis G. A Primer for Vascular Disease. For Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation. 2009.
- Molecular biology and development of rapid diagnostic assays for aortic dissection. Aortic wall homoeostasis and dysfunction leading to thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms.
1995 American Medical Association
1999 American College of Surgeons
2005 Society for Vascular Surgery
2005 Association of Academic Surgery
2006 Peripheral Vascular Surgery Society
2006 Chesapeake Vascular Society
2007 Eastern Vascular Society
2008 Southern Association for Vascular Surgery
2008 Society for Vascular Ultrasound
- Aortic Dissection