Education and Experience
- Duke University School of Medicine (Durham NC)/ (1997)
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Baltimore MD)/ Medicine (2000)
- Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center (Baltimore MD)/ Geriatrics (2002)
Medicine - Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology
1990 Summer Fellowship, American Heart Association
1995 1996 Albert C. Schweitzer Fellow, North Carolina
1995 Pathology Honor Society, Duke University School of Medicine
1995 Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, Duke University School of Medicine
2001 Clinical Research Fellow Award, Department of Medicine Annual Retreat, Johns Hopkins University
2001 Presidential Poster Session, Annual Meeting of the American Geriatrics Society
2001 2002 Geriatric Medicine Fellow, John A. Hartford Foundation
2002 Presidential Poster Session, Annual Meeting of the American Geriatrics Society
2003 Presidential Poster Award: Clinical Practice Guidelines and Older Adults with Multiple Comorbid Conditions, Models of Geriatric Care, American Geriatric Society
2005 Presidential Poster Session, Annual Meeting of the American Geriatrics Society
2005 Best Epidemiology Paper, Annual Meeting of the American Geriatrics Society
2005 Bayview Scholar at the Johns Hopkins Bayview Center for Innovative Medicine
2007 Presidential Poster Session, Annual Meeting of the American Geriatrics Society
2007 American Geriatric Society New Investigator Award, Annual Meeting of the American Geriatrics Society
2010 Outstanding Scientific Achievement for Clinical Investigation Award, American Geriatric Society
- General Internal Medicine
- Geriatric Medicine
1. Xu J, Boyd CM, Livingston E, Meyer W, Madden JF, and Mitchell TG. Species and genotypic diversities and similarities of pathogenic yeasts colonizing women. J Clin Microbiol. 1999 Dec; 37(12):3835-43.
2. Michelson KN, Thomas JC, Boyd C, and Janssens AH. Chlamydia trachomatis infection in a rural population: the importance of screening men. Int J STD AIDS. 1999 Jan;10(1)32-7.
3. Simpson CF, Boyd CM, Carlson MC, Griswold ME, Guralnik JM, Fried LP: Agreement Between Self-Report of Disease Diagnoses and Medical Record Validation in Disabled Older Women: Factors That Modify Agreement. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004 Jan;52(1):123-127.
4. Boyd CM, Xue Q, Guralnik JM, and Fried LP. Hospitalization and Development of Dependence in Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) in a Cohort of Disabled Older Women: The Women's Health and Aging Study I. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2005 Jun;60(7):888-93.
5. Wolff J, Boult C, Boyd CM, Anderson G: Newly Reported Chronic Conditions and Onset of Functional Dependency. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 53:851-855, 2005.
6. Boyd CM, Xue Q, Simpson CF, Guralnik JM, Fried LP: Frailty, Hospitalization and Progression of Disability in a Cohort of Disabled, Older Women, Am J Med. 2005 Nov;118(11):1225-31.
7. Simpson CF, Durso SC, Fried LP, Bailey T, Boyd CM, Burton J: The Johns Hopkins Geriatric Summer Scholars Program: A Model to Increase Diversity in Geriatric Medicine. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005 Sep;53(9):1607-12.
8. Boyd CM, Darer JD, Boult C, Fried LP, Boult L, Wu AW: Clinical practice guidelines and quality of care for older patients with multiple comorbid diseases: implications for pay for performance. JAMA. 2005 Aug 10;294(6):716-24.
9. Shadmi ES, Boyd CM, Hsiao C, Sylvia M, Schuster AB, Boult C: Morbidity and Older Persons' Perceptions of the Quality of their Primary Care. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006 Feb;54(2):330-4.
10. Sylvia ML, Shadmi ES, Hsiao C, Boyd CM, Schuster AB, Boult C: Clinical Features of High-Risk Older Person Identified by Predictive Modeling. Disease Management. 2006 Feb;9(1):56-62.
11. Boyd CM, Weiss CO, Halter J, Han KC, Ershler WB, Fried LP: Framework for Evaluating Disease Severity Measures in Older Adults with Comorbidity. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2007 Mar;62(3):286-95.
12. Boyd CM, Boult C, Shadmi E, Leff B, Brager R, Wolff JL, Wegener S: Guided Care for Multi-Morbid Older Adults. The Gerontologist 2007 Oct;47(5):697-704.
13. Cayea D, Boyd CM, Durso SC: Individualizing Therapy for Older Adults with Diabetes Mellitus, Drugs & Aging, 2007;24(10):851-63.
14. Weiss CO, Boyd CM, Wolff J, Yu Q, Leff B. Patterns of prevalent major chronic disease among older adults in the United States. JAMA, 2007 Sep 12;298(10):1160-2.
15. Sylvia M, M. Griswold, L. Dunbar, C. Boyd, M. Park, C. Boult: Guided Care: Cost and Utilization Outcomes in a Pilot Study. Disease Management, 2008 Feb;11(1):29-36.
16. Boyd CM, Shadmi E, Conwell L, Griswold M, Leff B, Brager R, Sylvia M, Boult C. A Pilot Test of the Effect of Guided Care on the Quality of Primary Care Experiences for Multimorbid Older Adults. J Gen Intern Med. 2008 May;23(5):536-42. Epub 2008 Feb 12.
17. Boult C, Reider L, Frey K, Leff B, Boyd CM, Wolff JL et al. Multidimensional geriatric assessment: back to the future early effects of "guided care" on the quality of health care for multimorbid older persons: a cluster-randomized controlled trial. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2008 Mar;63(3):321-7.
18. Boyd CM, Ritchie C, Tipton E, Studenski S, Wieland D. From Bedside to Bench: Summary from the American Geriatrics Society/National Institute on Aging Research Conference on Comorbidity and Multiple Morbidity in Older Adults. Aging Clinical and Experimental Research. 2008 Jun;20(3):181-8.
19. Wolff JL, Meadow A, Weiss CO, Boyd CM, Leff B. Medicare Patients Home Health Transitions Through Acute and Post-Acute Care Settings. Medical Care. 2008 Nov;46(11):1188-93.
20. Boyd CM, Landefeld S, Counsell S, Palmer RM, Fortinsky RH, Kresevic D, Burant C, Covinsky K. Recovery in Activities of Daily Living Among Older Adults Following Hospitalization for Acute Medical Illness . Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2008 Dec;56(12):2171-9.
21. Leff B, Reider L, Frick KD, Scharfstein D, Boyd CM, Frey K, Karm L, Boult C. Guided Care and the Cost of Complex Health Care. American Journal of Managed Care. 2009 Aug;15(8):555-9.
22. Wolff J, Meadow A, Boyd C, Weiss C, Leff B. Physician Evaluation and Management of Medicare Home Health Patients. Medical Care. Med Care. 2009 Nov;47(11):1147-55.
23. Boyd CM, Ricks M, Fried LP, Xue Q, Xia J, and Bandeen-Roche K. Functional Decline and Recovery of Activities of Daily Living among Hospitalized, Disabled Older Women: The Womens Health and Aging Study I. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2009 Oct;57(10):1757-66.
24. Wolff J, Rand-Giovannetti E, Boyd CM, Reider L, Palmer S, Scharfstein D, Marsteller J, Wegener S, Frey K, Leff B, Frick K, Boult C. Effects of Guided Care on Family Caregivers. The Gerontologist In Press.
25. Boyd CM, Reider L, Frey K, Scharfstein D, Leff B, Wolff J, Groves C, Karm L, Wegener S, Marsteller J, Boult C. The Effects of Guided Care on the Perceived Quality of Health Care for Multi-morbid Older Persons: 18 month Outcomes from A Cluster-Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of General Internal Medicine. In Press 2009.
26. Blaum CS, Cigolle CT, Boyd CM, Wolff JL, Tian Z, Langa K, and Weir DR. Clinical Complexity in Middle Aged and Older Adults with Diabetes: The Health and Retirement Study. Medical Care In Press.
27. Marsteller J, Hsu Y, Reider L, Frey K, Wolff J, Boyd CM, Leff B, Scharfstein Dl, Boult C. "Physician Satisfaction with Chronic Illness Care: A Randomized Trial of Guided Care. Annals of Family Medicine. In Press 2010.
28. Young Y, Boyd CM, Guralnik JM, Bandeen-Roche K, Fried LP. Does Self-Reported Function Correspond to Objective Measures of Functional Impairment? JAMDA. In Press 2010.
29. Varadhan R, Weiss C, Segal JB,Wu AW, Scharfstein D, Boyd CM. Evaluating Health Outcomes in the Presence of Competing Risks: A Review of Statistical Methods and Clinical Applications. Medical Care In Press 2010.
2005 2007 Co-leader, Mentoring Program, American Geriatrics Society (AGS)
2004 2005 Member, Comorbidity Task Force, National Institute on Aging (NIA)
2005 Member, Research Committee Annual Meeting, American Geriatrics Society (AGS)
2006 Member, Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) in COPD Meeting, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
2006 Member, VA State of the Art Conference: Managing Complexity in Chronic Care
2008-2009 American Geriatrics Society Research Committees Sub Committee on Public Relations and the Foundation for Health in Aging
2008-2009 Agency for Health Care Research and Quality: Prevention Quality Indicators Clinical Expert Panel