Associate Professor of Pathology
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Education and Experience
- University of Mississippi Medical Center (Jackson MS)/ (1987)
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Baltimore MD)/ (1993)
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Baltimore MD)/ Anesthesiology and CCM (1994)
- Pediatrics, American Board of Pediatrics (2007)
- Anesthesiology, American Board of Anesthesiology (2005)
Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine - Pediatric Anesthesia and Critical Care Medicine
- Autoimmune Disease Research
2000-2002 Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research Young Investigator Award
- Critical Care Medicine
2. Njoku DB, Laster MJ, Gong DH, Eger EI, Reed GF, Martin JL. Biotransformation of Halothane, Enflurane, Isoflurane and Desflurane to Trifluoroacetylated Liver Proteins: Association between Protein Acylation and Hepatic Injury. Anesthesia and Analgesia. 84:173-178, 1997.
3. Njoku DB, Shrestha S, Lon J, Soloway R, Duray PR, Tsokos M, Abu-Asab MS, Pohl LR, West AB. Subcellular Localization of Trifluoroacetylated Liver Proteins in Association with Hepatitis Following Isoflurane. Anesthesiology 96:757-761, 2002.
4. Njoku DB, Greenberg RS, Bourdi M, Dake B, Martin JL, Pohl LR. Autoantibodies Associated with Inhalational Anesthetic Hepatitis Found in the Sera of a Large Cohort of Pediatric Anesthesiologists. Anesthesia and Analgesia 94:243-249, 2002.
5. Fairweather D, Frisancho-Kiss S, Gatewood S, Njoku D, Steele R, Barrett M, Rose NR. Mast cells and innate cytokines are associated with susceptibility to autoimmune heart disease following Coxsackievirus B3 infection. Autoimmunity 37:131-145, 2004
6. Fairweather D, Frisancho-Kiss S, Yusung SA, Barrett MA, Davis SE, Gatewood SJ, Njoku DB and Rose NR. Interferon-γ protects against chronic viral myocarditis by reducing mast cell degranulation, figrosis, and the profibrotic cytokines transforming growth factor-β1, Interleukin-1β and interleukin-4 in the heart. Am J Pathol 165:1883-1894 2004.
7. Njoku DB, Talor MV, Fairweather D, Frisancho-Kiss S, Odumade OA and Rose NR. A Novel Model of Drug Hapten- Induced Hepatitis with Increased Mast Cells in the BALB/c Mouse. Exp Mol Pathol. 78:87- 100, 2005.
8. Njoku DB, Mellerson JL, Talor MV, Kerr, D R, Faraday NR, Outschoorn I and Rose NR. Role of CYP2E1 Immunoglobulin G4 Subclass Antibodies and Complement in the Pathogenesis of Idiosyncratic, Drug-Induced Hepatitis. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2006 Feb;13(2):258-65.
9. Fairweather D, Frisancho-Kiss S, Njoku DB, Nyland JF. Kaya Z, Yusung SA, Davis SE, Frisancho A, Barrett M and Rose NR. Complement receptor 1 and 2 deficiency increases coxsackievirus B3-induced mycarditis, dilated cardiomyopathy and heart failure by increasing macrophages, Il-2beta and immune complex deposition in the heart. J Immunol 176(6): 3516 - 24, 2006.
10. Frisancho-Kiss S, Nyland JF, Davis SE, Barrett MA, Gatewood SJ, Njoku DB, Cihakova D, Silbergeld EK, Rose NR and Fairweather D. Cutting Edge: Tim-3 reduces inflammatory heart disease by increasing CTLA-4 during innate immunity. J Immunology, 176(11): 6411 -15, 2006.
11. Anderson JS, Rose NR, Martin JL, Eger EI and Njoku DB. Desflurane hepatitis associated with hapten and autoantigen-specific IgG4 antibodies. Anesthesia and Analgesia, 104 (6): 1452, 2007.
12. Nguyen C, Rose NR and Njoku DB. Trifluoroacetylated IgG4 antibodies in a child with Idiosyncratic acute liver failure following first exposure to halothane. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition 47(2):199 -202, 2008.
13. Njoku DB, Li Z, Mellerson JL , Sharma R, Talor MV, Barat N and Rose NR. IP-10 protects while MIP-2 promotes experimental drug hapten hepatitis. J Autoimmun. Feb;32(1):52-59, 2009.
14. Njoku DB, Li Z, Washington ND, Mellerson JL, Talor MV, Sharma R and Rose NR. In experimental drug induced liver injury, IL-4 suppresses regulatory responses to autoantigens but induces pro-inflammatory responses to drug haptens. European Journal of Immunology (in press)
1. Martin JL and Njoku DB Understanding the Metabolism and Toxicity of Modern Inhaled Anesthetics. In: Anesthesia. 5th Edition. Ed: Miller RD. Churchill Livingstone, Philadelphia, PA , 2004.
2. Sharma R, Burek CL, Cihakova D, Njoku DB and Rose NR. Environmental Factors in Autoimmune Endocrinopathies. Editor: A P Weetman, Humana Press, Inc. in press, 2007.
3. Njoku D. Branchial Cleft Cyst. In: Anesthesia for Strategies in Pediatric Anesthesia for the Palm Pilot. Ed.: RS Litman. Pocketmedicine.com, New York, NY, 2007.
4. Kaufman S and Njoku D. Craniotomy for CNS Tumor Excision. In: Anesthesia for Strategies in Pediatric Anesthesia for the Palm Pilot. Ed.: RS Litman. Pocketmedicine.com, New York, NY, 2007.
5. Ajuba-Iwuji C and Njoku DB. Rashes. In PocketICUMedicine. Ed: M Wall. Pocketmedicine.com, New York, NY, 2008.
6. Ajuba-Iwuji C and Njoku DB. Traumatic Brain Injury in Hand book of Neuroanesthesia. Ed: J Kirsch and
A Brambrink. In press, 2009.
- Mechanisms of immune-mediated, drug-induced liver injury
- Effects of occuptaional exposures to volatile anesthetics
American Society of Anesthesiology
Society for Education in Anesthesiology
The Society for Pediatric Anesthesia
American Board of Anesthesiology
Association of University Anesthesiologists
American Association of Immunologists