Education and Experience
- University of California San Diego School of Medicine (La Jolla CA)/ (1990)
- Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology (2005)
- Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- Mood Disorders Center
- Affective Disorders
- Bipolar Disorder
- Mood Disorders
Introduction to Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences 2001-present, course director
Senior Psychiatric Resident Seminar Series
1998-2001; course organizer
Psychiatric Clerkship Lecture 1996-present, lecturer (twice per year)
Psychiatric inpatient services; 1996-present: student, and house-staff
Affective Disorders Outpatient (Resident) Clinic; 1998-present;
Psychiatric Ambulatory (Resident) Clinic; 1996-present.
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology 4/95-12/15, #41044
Affective Disorders Inpatient Service (11-bed subspecialty inpatient unit)
1996-present, 2-3 months/year; Attending Psychiatrist
Affective Disorders Consultation Clinic
1996-present, 2-3 consults/month; Attending Psychiatrist
Chronic Pain Inpatient Service (8 bed subspecialty inpatient unit)
2006-present, 1-2 months/year, Attending Psychiatrist
1996-present, 1-2 months/year, Attending Psychiatrist
General Hospital Psychiatry (consultation service)
2008-present, 1 month/year, Attending Psychiatrist
1) MacKinnon DF, Squire LR, "Autobiographical Memory and Amnesia," Psychobiology 1989; 17:247-256.
2) MacKinnon DF, McMahon FJ, Simpson SG, McInnis MG, DePaulo JR, "Panic Disorder with Familial Bipolar Disorder," Biological Psychiatry 1997; 42:90-95.
3) MacKinnon DF, Jamison KR, DePaulo JR, "Genetics of Manic Depressive Illness," Annual Review of Neuroscience 1997; 20:355-73.
4) MacKinnon DF, Affective Disorders, Encyclopaedia of Stress, Fink, G, Academic Press (2000).
5) MacKinnon, DF, The Patient Thinking of Suicide, Common Psychiatric and Neurologic Problems in Primary Care, Hurko O and Slavney PR, eds., Johns Hopkins University Press (2001).
6) MacKinnon DF and DePaulo JR, Disorders of Mood, Diseases of the Nervous System: Clinical Neuroscience and Therapeutic Principles, 3rd edition, Ashbury AK, McKhann G, McDonald WI, Goadsby PJ, McArthur JC, eds., Cambridge University Press (2002).
7) MacKinnon DF and Hoehn-Saric R, Is There a Common Etiology for Depression and Anxiety? Handbook of Anxiety and Depression, Kasper S, den Boer JA, Sitsen JMA, eds., Marcel Dekker, NY (2003).
8) MacKinnon DF, Zandi PP, Cooper J, Potash JB, Simpson SG, Gershon E, Nurnberger J, Reich T, DePaulo JR. Comorbid bipolar disorder and panic disorder in families with a high prevalence of bipolar disorder. Am J Psychiatry 2002; 159:30-5.
9) MacKinnon DF, Zandi PP, Gershon E, Nurnberger JI Jr., Reich T, DePaulo JR. Rapid switching of mood in families with multiple cases of bipolar disorder, Arch Gen Psychiatry 2003; 60:921-928.
10) MacKinnon, DF and Pies, R. Affective instability as rapid cycling: theoretical and clinical implications for borderline personality and bipolar spectrum disorders. Bipolar.Disord. 2006; 8:1-14
11) MacKinnon, DF and Zamoiski, R. Panic comorbidity with bipolar disorder: what is the manic-panic connection? Bipolar.Disord 2006; 8:648-64
12) MacKinnon, D. F., Craighead, B, and Hoehn-Saric, R. Carbon Dioxide Provocation of Anxiety and Respiratory Response in Bipolar Disorder. J Affect Disord 2007; 99:45-9
13) Nwulia EA, Zandi PP, McInnis MG, DePaulo JR, MacKinnon DF. Rapid Switching of Mood in Families With Familial Bipolar Disorder. Bipolar Disord 2008 10:597-606.
14) MacKinnon DF. Bipolar Diosrder as Maladaptive Arousal: A Behavioral Model and Evidence. Annals of the NY Academy of Science 2008 1129:185-9.
15) MacKinnon DF, Craighead B, Lorenz L. Carbon dioxide induces erratic respiratory responses in bipolar disorder. J Affect Disord 2009 112:193-200.
National Coalition for Health Professional Education in Genetics. Genetics and Major Psychiatric Disorders: A Program for Genetic Counselors, CD-ROM, 2002.
Development of a problem and function-based preclinical psychiatry course. Poster presentation for annual meeting of the Association for Directors of Medical Student Education in Psychiatry (ADMSEP), June 2009.
- bipolar disorder endophenotypes
Maryland Psychiatric Society, 1991-present
Residents Committee, 1992-94
Public Affairs Committee, 1994-95
American Psychopathological Association, Member, 2000-present
Association for Directors of Medical Student Education in Psychiatry, 2007-present