Education and Experience
- University of California San Francisco (San Francisco CA)/ (1985)
- Yale - New Haven Hospital (New Haven CT)/ Internal Medicine (1988)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (Baltimore MD)/ Infectious Diseases (1992)
- Infectious Disease, American Board of Internal Medicine (2003)
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine (1988)
Medicine - Infectious Diseases
-1990 Delta Omega Public Health Honor Society, Alpha Chapter
-2006 HIV Clinical Education Award HIV Medical Association, Infectious Disease Society of America
- General Internal Medicine
-Governing Council member, International AIDS Society
-Vice-Chair, HIV Medicine Association, Infectious Disease Society of America
-Fellow, American College of Physicians
-Fellow, Infectious Disease Society of America
-Member, Primary Care Guidelines Committee, HIV Medicine Association, Infectious Disease Society of America
-Member, Adult and Adolescent Antiretroviral Guidelines panel, Department of Health and Human Services
-Infectious Disease Subspecialty Test Committee, American Board of Internal Medicine
-Co-author, "Medical Management of HIV Infection
-Author, "100 Questions and Answers About HIV and AIDS"
-Co-editor, Sandes HIV/AIDS Management
2. Gallant JE, Moore RD, Richman DD, et al. Risk factors for Kaposi''s sarcoma in patients with advanced HIV disease treated with zidovudine. The Zidovudine Epidemiology Study Group. Arch Intern Med 1994;154:566-72.
4. Gallant JE, Moore RD, Keruly J, et al. Lack of association between acyclovir use and survival in patients with advanced HIV disease treated with zidovudine. The Zidovudine Epidemiology Study Group. J Infect Dis 1995;172:346-52.
5. Maenza JR, Keruly JC, Moore RD, Chaisson RE, Gallant JE. Risk factors for fluconazole-resistant candidiasis in HIV-infected patients. J Infect Dis 1996;173:219-25.
6. Gallant JE, Ko AH. Cavitary pulmonary lesions in the patient with HIV infection. Clin Infect Dis 1996;22: 671-82.
7. Finzi D, Hermankova M, Pierson T, et al. Identification of a reservoir for HIV-1 in patients on highly active antiretroviral therapy. Science 1997;278:1295-300.
8. Gallant JE, Chaisson RE, Keruly JC, Moore RD. The effect of adjunctive corticosteroids for the treatment of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP) on mortality and subsequent complications. Chest 1998;114:1258-63.
10. Finzi D, Blankson J, Siliciano JD, et al. Latent infection of CD4+ T cells provides a mechanism for lifelong persistence of HIV-1, even in patients on effective combination therapy. Nature Medicine 1999;5:512-7.
11. Hall CS, Raines CP, Barnett SH, Moore RD, Gallant JE. Efficacy of salvage therapy containing ritonavir and saquinavir after failure of single protease inhibitor-containing regimens. AIDS 1999;13:1207-1212.
12. Celentano DD, Galai N, Sethi AK, et al. Time to initiating highly active antiretroviral therapy among HIV-infected injection drug users. AIDS 2001;15:1707-15.
13. Sethi AK, Celentano DD, Gange SJ, et al. Association between adherence with antiretroviral therapy and HIV drug resistance. Clin Infect Dis 2003;37:1112-8.
14. Gallant JE, Deresinski S. Reviews of anti-infectives: tenofovir disoproxil fumarate. Clin Infect Dis 2003;37:944-50.
15. Tarwater PM, Parish M, Gallant JE. Prolonged treatment interruption after immunologic response to highly active antiretroviral therapy. Clin Infect Dis 2003;37:1541-8.
16. Gallant JE, Staszewski S, Pozniak AL, et al. Efficacy and safety of tenofovir DF vs stavudine in combination therapy in antiretroviral-nave patients: a randomized trial. JAMA 2004;292:191-201.
17. Gebo K, Gallant JE, Moore RD. Absolute CD4 versus CD4 percentage for predicting risk of opportunistic illness in HIV infection. J Acquir Immun Defic Syndr 2004;36:1028-33.
18. Nettles RE, Kieffer RL, Kwon P, et al. Intermittent HIV-1 viremia (blips) and drug resistance in patients receiving HAART. JAMA 2005;293:817-29.
19. Gallant JE, Parish MA, Keruly JC, Moore RD. Changes in renal function associated with tenofovir disoproxil fumarate treatment, compared with nucleoside reverse-transcriptase inhibitor treatment. Clin Infect Dis 2005;40:1194-8.
20. Gallant JE, Rodriguez AE, Weinberg WG, et al. Early virologic non-response to tenofovir, abacavir, and lamivudine in HIV-infected antiretroviral nave subjects. J Infect Dis 2005:192:1921-30.
21. Gallant JE, DeJesus E, Arribas JR, et al. Tenofovir, emtricitabine, and efavirenz vs. zidovudine, lamivudine, and efavirenz for HIV. N Engl J Med 2006;354:251-60.
22. Atta M, Gallant JE, Rahman H, et al. Antiretroviral therapy in the treatment of HIV-associated nephropathy. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2006;21:2809-13.
23. Pozniak AL, Gallant JE, DeJesus E, et al. Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate, emtricitabine, and efavirenz versus fixed-dose zidovudine/lamivudine and efavirenz in antiretroviral-nave patients: virologic, immunologic, and morphologic changes: a 96-week analysis. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2006;43:535-40.
24. Gallant JE, Winston, JA, DeJesus E, et al. The three-year renal safety of a tenofovir DF- vs. a thymidine analog-containing regimen in antiretroviral-nave patients. AIDS 2008; 22:2155-63.
25. Gallant JE, Moore RD. Renal function with use of a tenofovir-containing initial antiretroviral regimen. AIDS 2009; 23:1971-5.
26. Spivak AM, Brennan TP, O''Connell KA, et al. J Infect Dis 2010;201:341-5.
27. Margolick JB, Imteyaz H, Gallant JE, et al. Prolonged viral suppression without therapy in an HIV-1 seroconverter following early antiretroviral therapy and daily interleukin-2. AIDS 2010;24:932-5.
28. Spivak AM, Sydnor ER, Blankson JN, Gallant JE. Seronegative HIV-1 infection: a review of the literature. AIDS 2010;24:1407-14.
29. Mendez-Tellez P, Damluji A, Ammerman D, et al. Human immunodeficiency virus infection and hospital mortality in acute lung injury patients. Crit Care Med 2010;38:1530-5.
30. Pereyra F, Jia X, McLaren PJ, et al. The major genetic determinants of HIV-1 control affect HLA class I peptide presentation. Science 2010;330:1551-7.
31. Moore RD, Bartlett JG, Gallant JE. Association between use of HMG CoA reductase inhibitors and mortality in HIV-infected patients. PLoS One 2011;6: e21843.
32. Chen NE, Gallant JE, Page KR. A systematic review of HIV/AIDS survival and delayed diagnosis among Hispanics in the United States. J Immigrant Minority Health 2011; [Epub ahead of print]
33. Cohen MS, Chen YQ, McCauley M, et al. Prevention of HIV-1 infection with antiretroviral therapy. N Engl J Med 2011;365:493-505.
34. Gallant JE, Adimora AA, Carmichael JK, et al. Essential components of effective HIV care: a policy paper of the HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the Ryan White Medical Providers Coalition. Clin Infect Dis 2011;53:1043-50.
- Antiretroviral therapy for HIV infection
-Fellow, Infectious Disease Society of America
-American Academy of HIV Medicine (HIV expert)
-HIV Medicine Association (Vice-Chair)
-International AIDS Society (Governing Council member)
-International Antiviral Society-USA (Board of Directors)
- antiretroviral therapy, HIV, AIDS, resistance