Director of Neuroradiology
Education and Experience
- University of Michigan Medical School (Ann Arbor MI)/ (1983)
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Baltimore MD)/ Radiology (1987)
- University of Pennsylvania Health System School of Medicine (Philadelphia PA)/ Neuroradiology (1988)
- Neuroradiology, American Board of Radiology (2005)
- Diagnostic Radiology, American Board of Radiology (1987)
Radiology and Radiological Science - Neuroradiology
Dr. Yousem''s expertise spans the full gamut of neuroradiology techniques including CT, MRI, myelography, CT guided aspirations and biopsies, functional MRI, diffusion and perfusion imaging, MR/CT angiography. He is a noted authority on disorders of the brain, spine, head and neck, olfaction, cranial neuropathies, and neurodegeneration. Dr. Yousem has authored/edited 3 books ("Neuroradiology: THE REQUISITES", "Head and Neck Case Review", and "Radiology Business Practice: How to Succeed". He has published over 160 articles in peer-reviewed journals and over 50 chapters in books. He currently is the Past-President of the ASNR. He currently sits on many of its committees. He is also active in the American Society of Head and Neck Radiology. Dr. Yousem is on the Editorial Board of 2 journals.
Dr. Yousem has completed two marathons (best time 3 hours 54 minutes), a half Ironman, and a full Ironman (2.5 mile swim followed by 112 mile bike ride followed by 26 mile run) competition. Best marathon time was 3''54". Best 10K was 42 minutes.
Director of Neuroradiology
- General Radiology
141. Aralasmak A, Crain BJ, Zou WQ, Yousem DM. A Prion Disease-Possible Gerstmann-Straussler-Scheinker Disease: A Case Report. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2006 January/February;30(1):135-139.
142. Bassett SS, Kusevic I, Cristinzio C, Yassa MA, Avramopoulos D, Yousem DM Familial risk for Alzheimers disease alters fMRI activation pattern. Brain 129(Pt 5):1229-39
143. Aralasmak A, Ulmer JL, Kocak M, Salvan CV, Hillis AE, Yousem DM. Association, commissural and projection pathways and their functional deficits reported in literature. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2006 Sep-Oct;30(5):695-715.
144. Yousem DM, Gad K, Tufano R Resectability issues with head and neck cancer.
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2006 Nov-Dec;27(10):2024-36..
145. Robotham D, Yousem D, McFarland EG, Martire J. Neck Pain Due To Windersurfing: Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006 May;38(5 Suppl):S154.
146. Gottesman RF, Sherman PM, Grega MA, Yousem DM, Borowitz LM, Selnes OA, Baumgartner WA, McKhann G. Watershed strokes after cardiac surgery: Diagnosis, etiology, and outcome. Stroke2006 Sep;37(9):2306-11. Epub 2006 Jul 20.
147. Alphs HH, Schwartz BS, Stewart WF, Yousem DM.. Findings on brain MRI from research studies of occupational exposure to known neurotoxicants AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2006 Oct;187(4):1043-7
148. Aralasmak A, Aygun N, Westra WH, Yousem DM.. Giant cell reparative granuloma of the sphenoid bone. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2006 Sep;27(8):1675-7.
149. da Motta AC, Tunkel DE, Westra WH, Yousem DM. Imaging findings of a hibernoma of the neck. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2006 Sep;27(8):1658-9.
150. Ozturk A, Yousem DM. MR imaging findings in diffuse lymphangiomatosis: neuroradiological manifestations. Acta Radiol. 2007 Jun;48(5):560-4
151.Schwartz B. Chen S, Caffo B, Stewart WF, Bolla KI, Yousem DM, Davatzikos C. Relations of brain volumes with cognitive function in males 45 years and older with past lead exposure. Neuroimage. 2007 Aug 15;37(2):633-41.
152. Gottesman RF, Sherman PM, Grega MA, Yousem DM, Borowicz LM Jr, Selnes OA, Baumgartner WA, McKhann GM. Response to Letter by Barili et al. Stroke. 2007 Mar 1
153. Abi-Ghanem AS, Uzuner O, Askin FB, Yousem DM.. Radiological Findings in a Patient with Frontal Parafalcine Dendritic Cell Histiocytoma. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2007 Nov-Dec;28(10):1991-2
154. Yousem DM. Maintenance of Certification: Current Attitudes of Members of the American Society of Neuroradiology. AJNR 2008. 29:224-7. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2007 Nov 1
155. Ozturk A, Yousem DM. Prevalence of asymmetry of mamillary body and fornix size onMR imaging. AJNR (in press). AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2008: 29: 384-7.
156. Caffo B, Chen S, Stewart W, Bolla K, Yousem D, Davatzikos C, Schwartz BS.,. Are MRI-based brain volumes mediators of the associations of cumulative lead dose with cognitive function?".American Journal of Epidemiology 2008: 167: 429-37.: Am J Epidemiol. 2007 Dec 12
157. Ozturk A, Yousem DM. Regional differences in diffusion tensor imaging measurements: assessment of intra-rater and inter-rater variability. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2008 Jun;29(6):1124-7.
158. Farage L, da Motta ACBS, Goldenberg D, Aygun N, Yousem DM. Idiopathic inflammatory pseudotumor of the carotid sheath, Arq Neuropsiquiatr 2007;65(4-B):1241-1244.
159. Krishnan C, Kaplin AI, Brodsky RA, Drachman DB, Jones RJ, Pham DL, Richert ND, Pardo CA, Yousem DM, Hammond E, Quigg M, Trecker C, McArthur JC, Nath A, Greenberg BM, Calabresi PA, Kerr DA. Reduction of Disease Activity and Disability With High-Dose Cyclophosphamide in Patients With Aggressive Multiple Sclerosis.
Arch Neurol. 2008 Jun 9.
160. Zan E, Yousem DM, Limb CJ, Koehler JF. Middle ear adenoma: a challenging diagnosis. AJNR (in press)
161. Rodriques VR, Elsayed S, Dietz H, Loeys B, Yousem DM. Neuroradiologic manifestations of Loeys-Dietz syndrome type 1. AJNR (in press)
162. Yousem DM, Intelligence and Medial Temporal Lobe Function in Older Adults: an fMRI-based Investigation. AJNR in press. 2009
163. Yousem DM, Gujar SK. Are C1-2 Punctures for Routine Cervical Myelography Below the Standard of Care? AJNR in press. 2009
164. Vani Rao1, MD; Cynthia A. Munro2, PhD, Paul Rosenberg1, MD; Julianna Ward2, PhD Melaine Bertrand1, MS; Mahaveer Degoankar3, PhD; Alena Horsk3, PhD;. Dzung Pham3, PhD, David M. Yousem3, MD; MBA & Peter B. Barker3, D.Phil: Neuroanatomical Correlates of Depression in Post Traumatic Brain Injury: Preliminary Results of a Pilot Study
The Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences
- Health Economics, Brain Tumors, Head and Neck Cancer, Demyelinating disorders, Advanced Imaging