Sun Yat-sen University (SYSU)
Johns Hopkins Medicine International (JHI) signed an agreement with Sun Yat-sen University (SYSU) and its affiliated hospitals in Guangzhou, China in March of 2013 -- providing a long-term platform for exchanges among clinical and translational investigators, research professionals and administrators, and will lay the foundation for building world-class research infrastructure in China.
Together, Johns Hopkins experts will travel to SYSU to teach courses and lead workshops designed to strengthen development of investigators and research professionals. These experts also will design a competitive fellowship program at Johns Hopkins for promising SYSU investigators and junior faculty members, and provide strategic and technical advice on a wide range of issues that include research infrastructure, operations, safety and governance.
The agreement will also provide seed grants for collaborative clinical and translational pilot projects that have the potential to develop into larger studies funded by industry or government sources in China and the United States.
About Our Agreement
Under the agreement, JHI and SYSU will focus on:
- Developing and teaching education and training programs for clinical investigators and research professionals
- Consulting opportunities in research infrastructure, operations, safety and governance
- Establishing competitive visiting fellowship program for promising SYSU investigators and junior faculty
- Seed grants for clinical and translational pilot projects that have the potential to develop into larger studies funded by industry or government sources in China and the U.S.
- A research and population base that will allow faculty to learn more about conditions that are less prevalent in North America