Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
We are glad to accept glass slides for consultation, either to render a second opinion or to confirm a prior diagnosis.
After glass slides are received and immediately accessioned through the Department of Pathology's consultation office, along with all supporting documentation, our dermatopathologists review the slides and may either render a definitive diagnosis or recommend further immunohistochemical or molecular studies for the case to confirm the diagnosis.
A report is generated electronically. Once the dermatopathologist has finalized the report, an automatic fax of the report is sent to the fax number listed in the Pathology Consultation Form with results.
Slides will be returned to their original source within 60 business days. If slides are needed before that time, a request may be faxed to the Pathology Office at 410-614-7712.
To submit glass slides for consultation, please include the following in your package:
- Glass slides and/or paraffin blocks or other materials
- Pathology Consultation Form
- Previous pathology reports
- Note of how you would like a report faxed or mailed to your home (unfortunately email is not available at this time)
- Letter noting any pertinent information that pertains to the patient's history
- Note of exactly where you would like slides returned (i.e. original institution, another institution); please list a complete address (no P.O. numbers) and phone number
Please send the items listed above by registered mail (not regular mail) or courier to:
Johns Hopkins Dermatopathology
600 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21205
Mail requiring a signature of receipt is strongly recommended.
Please contact the Pathology Consultation Office with any questions about submitting consult slides.
Phone: 410-955-2405 (8a-5p EST) or 1-800-997-5475 (press 1 for "Anatomic Pathology")
Request an Appointment
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.