Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Johns Hopkins Community Physicians offers sports medicine, a medical specialty that focus on physical fitness and the treatment and prevention of injuries related to sports and exercise. Our physicians specializing in sports medicine promote lifelong fitness and encourage prevention of illness and injury. They also help the patient maximize function and minimize disability and time away from sports, work, or school.
Sports medicine physicians also receive additional training in the non-musculoskeletal aspects of sports medicine. Common examples of these include:
- Mild traumatic brain injury and other head injuries
- Athletes with chronic or acute illness (such as infectious mononucleosis, asthma or diabetes)
- Nutrition, supplements, ergogenic aids and performance issues
- Exercise prescription for patients who want to increase their fitness
- Injury prevention
- “Return to play" decisions in the sick or injured athlete
- Strength training and conditioning