1. Cell Room: Be responsible for entire operation of the
culture room. For example, pass Ax3; keep room supplied; fix hemocytometers;
keep temperature below 22; keep incubators, shakers, hood running; clean
2. Large Equipment: Be responsible for the major items of
equipment in the laboratory and identify delinquent individuals. For example
oversee use of fluorimeter; incubators, hoods, vacuum pumps, centrifuges, rotors
3. Darkroom and Fine Equipment: Keep darkroom tanks filled. Be
responsible for the fine equipment in the laboratory. Keep microfuges, vortexers,
balances, pH meter working. Repair pipettors.
4. Budgeting and Ordering: Carry out all ordering and budgeting together
5. Freezers and Refrigerators: Be responsible
for the organization
and functioning of the freezers and refrigerators. Assign spaces to people and
know where everything is. Come into the laboratory if a freezer goes down in the
middle of the night.
6. Computers: Be responsible for the smooth running of the shared
computers. Set the rules about saving and downloading to prevent problems from
developing. Suggest and install to hardware and software as needed. Enforce
rules: 1) no downloads- 2) no eating; 3) no reconfiguring; 4) no saving.
7. Gel Room: Be responsible for gel room. Keep gel boxes,
buffers, power supplies good state. Clean benches, fill water baths. Set
rules for safe and responsible use of gel room and identify noncompliant
individuals. This person also takes out hazardous trash from laboratory. Also
removes hazardous trash from cell room and radioactive room when reminded by the
individuals in charge.
8. Radioactive Room and Radiation Safety:
Be responsible for safe use of radioactivity in laboratory. Carry out all of the necessary
duties of the radiation safety officer.
9. Banks of Plasmids and Cell Lines: Maintain banks of plasmids and cell
lines and make sure that relevant plasmids and cell lines are in the Dicty stock
center. Be responsible for having maps and plasmids and cell lines used in lab and requested by other laboratories.
10. Imaging. Be responsible for microscopes, videos, digital camera for
11. Mice. Oversee handling of mice in the animal facility.
Maintain streamline colonies to minimize costs.
This page was last edited