Johns Hopkins Guided Patient SafetySM (GPS) for CUSP
The results are in. For the 1,100 ICUs that participated in the two-year On The CUSP: Stop BSI project, there was a 40 percent reduction in central line-associated bloodstream infections, with 500 deaths and 2,000 infections prevented.
Whether you participated in this project or your hospital is eager to incorporate the Comprehensive Unit-based Safety Program, the Armstrong Institute has a program to help you navigate the steps to having a successful CUSP program.
Guided Patient Safety (GPS) for CUSP is a member program that brings together state leaders, hospital nurses and doctors, unit managers, patient safety officers, and executives who are committed to sharing the mission of reducing preventable harm across hospitals.
Benefits of Membership
- Receive timely and enduring information and resources for engaging your staff and leadership and how to implement CUSP at all levels
- Gain access to the creators of CUSP, including Dr. Peter Pronovost and the research and clinical teams of the Armstrong Institute, who have been on the front lines—at Johns Hopkins and beyond—in its development and execution
- Enjoy discounts on CUSP programs, consulting, speakers and workshops
GPS for CUSP offers two categories of memberships -- for associations and for individual hospitals -- with different levels of participation available within each category. Free and fee-based options are available.
Sample Member Resources
As member of the GPS for CUSP program you will have access to the following resources.
- Monthly e-newsletter. CUSPdateSM details how your peers are implementing CUSP in their hospitals, the latest CUSP research and news, and a mini-CUSP coaching video. Free at all levels of network membership.
- Live Coaching Sessions. CUSPCoaching sessions. Monthly one-hour, live interactive video coaching session with a Johns Hopkins Armstrong Institute CUSP facilitator, who structure presentations to respond to your questions about getting started, implementing, sustaining and spreading CUSP. CUSPCoaching is available to Gold and Advisory Group members. Watch samples of these sessions, which require free Microsoft Silverlight download:
- "CUSP: How Do You Know if You're Ready?": learn about critical factors—such as workplace culture and staff engagement—that should be in place for a successful CUSP launch. (Jan 2013)
- "The CUSP Phaseline: Navigating the Road to Becoming an Independent CUSP Team": focusing on a step-by-step checklist for starting, launching and sustaining a successful CUSP unit. (Feb. 2013)
- "Culture Matters: Measuring and Improving Patient Safety" (March 2013)
- "Identifying and Building the CUSP Team" (April 26)
- Instructional videos. In CUSPLearning videos, learn how to get started, implement, sustain and spread CUSP on your unit and in your hospital. CUSPLearning is available to Gold and Advisory Group members. Watch samples:
- “Understanding CUSP and the CUSP Team”: learn about the program's five steps and who should be on your team.
- The CUSP Phaseline: A Checklist to Independence for CUSP Teams
Join GPS for CUSP
Once you have determined the membership level you would like, please register online. Registration is required for all levels of membership, including free memberships.
- Basic Membership Registration (free e-newsletter and video learning modules)
- Gold or Advisory Group Membership Registration (paid)
Please e-mail us.