Skip Navigation
Print This Page
Share this page: More

Obtaining Drugs for Research Use

Research Animal Resources does NOT provide or sell drugs (anesthetics, antibiotics, analgesics, etc.) for research protocols. This includes Baytril, ampicillin, isoflurane, buprenorphine, ketamine, pentobarbital, Telazol, etc.

  • Human drugs can be purchased from the hospital pharmacy (410-955-6592).
  •  Isoflurane can be purchased from the Materials and Distribution Center (410-550-1213). A form must be filled out and faxed to the them to obtain the order .Click here to see an example form.
  • Veterinary specific drugs, such as Baytril, Telazol, xylazine, etc. can be purchased from a variety of veterinary distributors. The ones listed below have a veterinary license on file.  Dr. Robert Adams, the institutional veterinarian, has his license on file at each facility.
  • When placing orders, request that the drugs be delivered directly to your lab.  If the company will only deliver to the address on the veterinary license, you MUST contact Jacqueline Gwynn and Melanie Albano to let them know to expect a delivery (Ross 450 or Ross 459).  Any deliveries we receive that we do not expect will be returned.
  • You must pay via a credit card or purchase order.  You cannot use a budget number. RAR will NOT pay the bill and charge it to your budget number.
  • Information on purchasing controlled drugs is listed below.
  • For questions, contact Melanie Albano.

MWI (1-800-824-3703) account #56333

Penn Vet (1-800-548-4490) account # 27120 

Currently Penn Vet is not delivering legend drugs (prescription medication) to Maryland. The Maryland Board of Pharmacy passed a rule that vendors must have a distribution license to import drugs into the state.  Penn Vet is currently in the process of obtaining the necessary licenses. (as of October 3, 2013). You can still order supplies and equipment.

Butler Schein (1-855-724-3461) We are currently working on opening an account.

This company requires a veterinary or medical doctor license to open an account. You are welcome to open your own account but you can also use the one listed above. When Butler Schein was contacted I was told that they will only ship to Ross 459 but that they can add a separate sticker on the box with the PIs name and building/room number.  When the package arrives on the loading dock it may be sent to your lab if the separate sticker is noticed or it will be sent to Ross 459.  It will be necessary to contact Ross 459 as explained above to pick up your items.  I do not know if they will sell non-prescription supplies without a veterinary license on file.  You will not be able to purchase controlled drugs without supplying your own DEA license to the company.  (Dawn Ruben October 3, 2013)

Controlled Drugs

You must have your own state and federal research DEA license to order controlled drugs.  Some drugs can be purchased from the controlled drug pharmacy through the Hopkins pharmacy (410-614-8822).  Veterinary specific controlled drugs (ketamine, Telazol) can be purchased from the above companies using the veterinary license on file but you must use your own DEA license.

State DEA:

Maryland requires you to complete a research questionnaire. If you need help answering any of the questions, such as what you will do with expired drugs, please contact Melanie Albano. One option is to answer 'Steri-cycle'. That is the company the hospital uses but you must set up your own account with them if you ever have enough expired drugs to warrant the cost.

Maryland DEA application

Maryland State Department of Health and Hygiene
Division of Drug Control
4201 Patterson Ave
Baltimore, MD  21215
(410) 764-2890

Federal DEA:

Federal DEA application

United States Drug Enforcement Agency
600 Army Navy Dr.
Arlington, VA  22202
(202) 307-8903


Page updated 10/3/2013


Traveling for care?

blue suitcase

Whether crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.

U.S. 1-410-464-6713 (toll free)
International +1-410-614-6424



© The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Health System. All rights reserved.