I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Department of Anesthesiology/Critical Care Medicine
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Sheikh Zayed Tower 8120J
1800 Orleans Street
Baltimore, MD 21287
Dr. Wu's research interests include the areas of acute and postoperative pain management, obstetric & regional anesthesia and analgesia, patient-oriented outcomes, outcomes research, and evidence-based medicine. His research focuses on the effect of regional anesthesia and analgesia on mortality, morbidity, and patient-oriented outcomes.
- Chief, Division of Obstetric & Regional Anesthesia and Acute Pain [Anesthesiology]
- Editorial boards: Anesthesiology, Regional Anesthesia & Pain Medicine, Clinical Journal of Pain
- Board of Directors: American Society of Regional Anesthesia
- Block BM, Liu SS, Rowlingson AJ, Cowan AR, Cowen JA, Wu CL. Efficacy of postoperative epidural analgesia: a meta-analysis. JAMA 290(18):2455–63, 2003.
- Wu CL, Hurley RW, Anderson GF, Herbert R, Rowlingson AJ, Fleisher LA. Effect of perioperative epidural analgesia on patient mortality and morbidity in Medicare patients. Reg Anesth Pain Med 29(6):525–33, 2004.
- Wu CL, Cohen SR, Richman JM, Rowlingson AJ, Courpas GE, Cheung K, Lin EE, Liu SS. Efficacy of postoperative patient-controlled and continuous infusion epidural analgesia versus intravenous patient-controlled analgesia with opioids: a meta-analysis. Anesthesiology 103(5):1079–88,2005.
- Liu SS, Richman JM, Thirlby RC, Wu CL. Efficacy of continuous wound catheters delivering local anesthetic for postoperative analgesia: a quantitative and qualitative systematic review of randomized controlled trials. J Am Coll Surg 203(6):914–32, 2006.
- Liu SS, Wu CL. Effect of postoperative analgesia on major postoperative complications: a systematic update of the evidence. Anesth Analg 104(3):689–702, 2007.
- Teacher of the Year: The University of Rochester; Department of Anesthesiology (1996, 1999)
- Teacher of the Year: The Johns Hopkins University; Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine (2000, 2006)
- IARS Teaching Recognition Award (finalist, 2006)