I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Department of Anesthesiology/Critical Care Medicine
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
600 North Wolfe Street, Meyer 8-134
Baltimore, MD 21287
E-Mail Address: email@example.com
Dr. Toung has several research interests in experimental animal models, including osmotic therapy for stroke and effects on edema in brain, lung, and peripheral organs. He has found that hypertonic saline can be administered to reduce severe brain swelling after experimental stroke and that water content is influenced in other organs. He has also been studying the role of sex hormones on focal cerebral ischemic injury and whether injection of a clot to occlude the middle cerebral artery produces varying degrees of injury in male and female animals. Other research has focused on spinal cord ischemia, global brain ischemia, and regulation of intracranial pressure by intrathoracic pressure.
- Lee EJ, Lee MY, Shyr MH, Cheng JT, Toung TJ, Mirski MA, Chen TY. Adjuvant bupivacaine scalp block facilitates stabilization of hemodynamics in patients undergoing craniotomy with general anesthesia: a preliminary report. J Clin Anesth 18(7):490–4, 2006
- Mirski MA, Lele AV, Fitzsimmons L, Toung TJ. Diagnosis and treatment of vascular air embolism. Anesthesiology 106(1):164–77, 2007.
- Toung TJ, Chen CH, Lin C, Bhardwaj A. Osmotherapy with hypertonic saline attenuates water content in brain and extracerebral organs. Crit Care Med 35(2):526–31, 2007.
- Ziai WC, Toung TJ, Bhardwaj A. Hypertonic saline: first-line therapy for cerebral edema? J Neurol Sci 261(1-2):157–66, 2008.
- Toung TJ, Nyquist P, Mirski MA. Effect of hypertonic saline concentration on cerebral and visceral organ water in an uninjured rodent model. Crit Care Med 36(1):256–61, 2008.
Laboratory Members/Key Associates
Kathleen Kibler, BS