Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Sr. Vice President for Patient Safety and Quality,
Director of the Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality
Johns Hopkins Medicine
Professor, Departments of Anesthesiology/Critical Care Medicine and Surgery
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Professor, Department of Health Policy & Management,
The Bloomberg School of Public Health
Professor, School of Nursing
1909 Thames Street, 2nd Floor
Baltimore, MD 21231
Peter Pronovost is a practicing anesthesiologist and critical care physician who is dedicated to finding ways to make hospitals and healthcare safer for patients. In June 2011, he was named director of the new Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality at Johns Hopkins, as well as Johns Hopkins Medicine’s senior vice president for patient safety and quality.
Dr. Pronovost has developed a scientifically proven method for reducing the deadly infections associated with central line catheters. His simple but effective checklist protocol virtually eliminated these infections across the state of Michigan, saving 1,500 lives and $100 million annually. These results have been sustained for more than three years. Moreover, the checklist protocol is now being implemented across the United States, state by state, and in several other countries. The New Yorker magazine says that Dr. Pronovost’s “work has already saved more lives than that of any laboratory scientist in the past decade.”
Pronovost has chronicled his work to improve patient safety in his book, Safe Patients, Smart Hospitals: How One Doctor’s Checklist Can Help Us Change Health Care from the Inside Out. In addition, he has written more than 400 articles and chapters related to patient safety and the measurement and evaluation of safety efforts. He serves in an advisory capacity to the World Health Organization's World Alliance for Patient Safety.
Dr. Pronovost has earned several national awards, including the 2004 John Eisenberg Patient Safety Research Award and a coveted MacArthur Fellowship in 2008, known popularly as the “genius grant.” He was named by Time magazine as one of the world’s 100 “most influential people” for his work in patient safety. He regularly addresses Congress on the importance of patient safety, prompting a report by the U.S. House of Representatives’ Committee on Oversight and Government Reform strongly endorsing his intensive care unit infection prevention program.
Dr. Pronovost previously headed Johns Hopkins’ Quality and Safety Research Group and was medical director of Hopkins’ Center for Innovation in Quality Patient Care. Both groups, as well as other partners throughout the university and health system, have been folded into the Armstrong Institute.
- International Anesthesia Research Society
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- American Society of Critical Care Anesthesiologists
- American Medical Association
- Association for Health Services Research
- Association of University Anesthesiologists
- FAER Academy of Research Mentors in Anesthesiology
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital Medical Board
- FACULTY OF 1000
- Waters HR, Korn R Jr, Colantuoni E, Berenholtz SM, Goeschel CA, Needham DM, Pham JC, Lipitz-Snyderman A, Watson SR, Posa P, Pronovost PJ. The business case for quality: Economic analysis of the Michigan Keystone Patient Safety Program in ICUs. Am J Med Qual 2011; 26(5):333-9.
- Bienvenu OJ, Colantuoni E, Mendez-Tellez PA, Dinglas VD, Shanholtz C, Husain N, Dennison CR, Herridge MS, Pronovost PJ, Needham DM. Depressive symptoms and impaired physical function after acute lung injury: A 2-year longitudinal study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2012; 185(5):517-24.
- Penrod JD, Pronovost PJ, Livote EE, Puntillo KA, Walker AS, Wallenstein S, Mercado AF, Swoboda SM, Ilaoa D, Thompson DA, Nelson JE. Meeting standards of high-quality intensive care unit palliative care: Clinical performance and predictors. Crit Care Med 2012; 40(4):1105-12.
- Lin DM, Weeks K, Bauer L, Combes JR, George CT, Goeschel CA, Lubomski LH, Mathews SC, Sawyer MD, Thompson DA, Watson SR, Winters BD, Marsteller JA, Berenholtz SM, Pronovost PJ, Pham JC. Eradicating central line-associated bloodstream infections statewide: The Hawaii experience. Am J Med Qual 2012; 27(2):124-9.
- Munoz M, Pronovost P, Dintzis J, Kemmerer T, Wang N, Chang Y, Efird L, Berenholtz SM, Golden SH. Implementing and evaluating a multicomponent inpatient diabetes management program: putting research into practice. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 2012;38(5):195-206.
- Galvagno SM, Haut ER, Zafar SN, Millin MG, Efron DT, Koenig GJ, Baker SP, Bowman SM, Pronovost PJ, Haider AH. Association between helicopter vs ground emergency medical services and survival for adults with major trauma. JAMA 2012; 307(15):1602-10.
- Sean Berenholtz, MD, MHS
- Chris Goeschel, ScD, MPA, MPS, RN, FAAN
- Lisa Lubomski, PhD
- David Thompson, DNSc, MS, RN
- Ayse Gurses, PhD
- Mike Rosen, PhD
- Sallie Weaver, PhD
- Matt Austin, PhD
- Julius Pham, MD, PhD
- Brad Winters, MD
- Jill Marsteller, PhD, MPP
- Kristina Weeks, MHS
- Terry Shen, PhD
- John M. Eisenberg Patient Safety Award for Research (2004)
- The Joint Commission and the National Quality Forum (2004)
- Presidential Citation, Contributions to SCCM (2001–2003)
- William F. Rienhoff Scholars Award (2003)
- American Society of Anesthesiologists Presidential Scholar Award (2003)
- Physician Hero, Health Care Heroes Award (2004)
- Time magazines 100 most influential people (2008)
- MacArthur Fellow (2008)
- Silas Bronson Library Waterbury Hall of Fame Honoree (2009)
- National Committee for Quality Assurance Health Quality Leadership Award (2010)
- Institute of Medicine of the National Academies of Science (2011)
- American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) Health Care Quality and Patient Safety Award (2011)
- Malcolm Baldrige Executive Fellows Program (2012)
- Modern Healthcare- 50 Most Influential Physician Executives in Healthcare (2012)