I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care Medicine
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
600 North Wolfe Street, Wilmer 340
Baltimore, MD 21287
As an anesthesiologist, Dr. Edward Norris is interested in knowing the impact of anesthetic and analgesic techniques on patient outcome after vascular surgery. It has been traditionally assumed that the use of regional anesthetic techniques, such as an epidural, would have less risk than general anesthesia. However, Dr. Norris was not satisfied that sufficient data supported that claim. In two elegantly designed clinical studies, he showed that, in fact, neither method of anesthesia carries a higher risk of poor outcome for patients. In one study, with colleagues Charles Beattie, Rose Christopherson, and Steven Frank, patients undergoing lower extremity bypass surgery received either general anesthesia or an epidural. In the second study, patients undergoing surgery for abdominal aortic aneurism received either general anesthesia alone or general anesthesia plus an epidural. Post-surgery, each of the two groups were re-randomized to receive either intravenous patient-controlled analgesia or epidural patient-controlled analgesia. The study was highly protocolized to reduce bias, and both doctors and patients were blinded to the treatment regimen. In neither study was a difference in outcome observed among the patients. Dr. Norris believes that the lesson learned from these studies is that the techniques of anesthesia and analgesia are not as important as the fact that those used should be highly optimized. He hopes that research in this area will continue.
- 2000 – Present: Network for Advancement of Transfusion Alternatives
- 2000 – Present: National Association for Bloodless Medicine and Surgery
- 1999 – Present: American Association of Blood Banks
- 1999 – Present: International Society for Artificial Cells, Blood Substitutes and Immobilization
- 1999 – Present: Member, Perioperative Collection Standards Program Unit, Standards and International Affairs, American Association of Blood Banks
- 1999 – Present: Clinical Advisory Board (ex-officio), Eugene and Mary B. Meyer Center for Advanced Transfusion Practices and Blood Research, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and School of Hygiene and Public Health
- 1999 – Present: Executive Committee, Eugene and Mary B. Meyer Center for Advanced Transfusion Practices and Blood Research, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- 1992 – Present: International Liver Transplantation Society
- 1992 – Present: American Society of Regional Anesthesia
- 1991 – Present: Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists
- 1990 – Present: International Anesthesia Research Society
- 1990 – Present: American Society of Anesthesiologists
- 1980 – Present: Council Member, Cardio-Thoracic and Vascular Surgery
- Christopherson R, Beattie C, Frank SM, Norris EJ, Meinert CL, Gottlieb SO, Yates H, Rock P, Parker SD, Perler BA, Williams GM. Perioperative morbidity in patients randomized to epidural or general anesthesia for lower extremity vascular surgery. Anesthesiology 79:422–34, 1993.
- Breslow MJ, Parker SD, Frank SM, Norris EJ, Yates H, Raff H, Rock P, Christopherson R, Rosenfeld BA, Beattie C. Determinants of catecholamine and cortisol responses to lower extremity revascularization. The PIRAT Study Group. Anesthesiology 79:1202–9, 1993.
- Christopherson R, Glavan NJ, Norris EJ, Beattie C, Rock P, Frank SM, Gottlieb SO. Control of blood pressure and heart rate in patients randomized to epidural or general anesthesia for lower extremity vascular surgery Perioperative Ischemia Randomized Anesthesia Trail (PIRAT) Study Group. J Clin Anesth 8:578–584, 1996.
- Christopherson R, Norris E. Regional versus general anesthesia. Anesthesiol Clin North Am 15:37–47, 1997.
- Norris E, Beattie C, Perler BA, Martinez EA, Meinert CL, Anderson GF, Grass JA, Sakima NT, Gorman R, Achuff SC, Martin BK, Minken SL, Williams GM, Traystman RJ. Double-masked randomized trial comparing alternate combinations of intraoperative anesthesia and postoperative anesthesia in abdominal aortic surgery. Anesthesiology 95:1054–67, 2001.
- American Heart Association Bronze Award (1981)
- Phi Sigma Tau National Honor Society in Philosophy (1981)
- American Heart Association Certificate of Appreciation (1981, 1983)
- Beta Beta Beta National Biological Honor Society (1982)
- American Heart Association Certificate of Appreciation (1982)
- Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi (1982)
- Honors in Clinical Research, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine (1986)
- Fellow of the American Heart Association (and the Councils on Cardio-Thoracic and Vascular Surgery) (2002)
- CA2 Teacher of the Year Award, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical CareMedicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2004)
- CA3 Teacher of the Year Award, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2004)