Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Department of Anesthesiology/Critical Care Medicine
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
1909 Thames St 2nd FL
Baltimore, MD 21231
Dr. Lisa Lubomski is a health services researcher who is interested in devising and researching methods to improve quality of care and patient safety, particularly in the critical care and surgical environments. She is involved with several ongoing projects. In two large-scale collaborative efforts in the ICU and surgery, she and her colleagues are working to develop and use evidence-based tools, interventions, and develop data collection methods that ensure a high degree of data validity. With the Society of Pediatric Anesthesia, she is developing root-cause analysis templates and methods and web-based data entry for sentinel events in pediatric anesthesia. The ultimate goal is to identify common causes for and interventions to prevent these sentinel events. Using a systematic literature review, Dr. Lubomski and colleagues are studying the methodological rigor of quality improvement initiatives and left ventricular assist device (LVAD) outcomes. She is also part of a team that is training others across the Johns Hopkins Hospital in teamwork and communication skills. Finally, she is interested in the relationship between health literacy and patient-centered care.
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Academy Health
- American Society for Training and Development
- American Medical Informatics Association
- Society of Critical Care Medicine, Advisory Panel on Patient Safety
- Johns Hopkins Medicine Continuing Education Advisory Board
- Pronovost PJ, Thompson DA, Holzmueller CG, Lubomski LH, Dorman T, Dickman F, Fahey M, Steinwachs DM, Engineer L, Sexton JB, Wu AW, Morlock LL. Toward learning from patient safety reporting systems. J Crit Care 21(4):305–15, 2006.
- Pronovost PJ, Berenholtz SM, Goeschel CA, Needham DM, Sexton JB, Thompson DA, Lubomski LH, Marsteller JA, Makary MA, Hunt E. Creating high reliability in health care organizations. Health Serv Res 41:1599–617, 2006.
- Pronovost PJ, Holzmueller CG, Young J, Whitney P, Wu AW, Thompson DA, Lubomski LH, Morlock LL. Using incident reporting to improve patient safety: a conceptual model. J Patient Saf 3(1):27–33, 2007.
- Sinopoli DJ, Needham DM, Thompson DA, Holzmueller CG, Dorman T, Lubomski LH, Wu AW, Morlock LL, Makary MA, Pronovost PJ. Intensive care unit safety incidents for medical versus surgical patients: a prospective multicenter study. J Crit Care 22(3):177–83, 2007.
- Miller MR, Robinson KA, Lubomski LH, Rinke ML, Pronovost PR. Medication errors in paediatric care: a systematic review of epidemiology and an evaluation of evidence supporting reduction strategy recommendations. Qual Saf Health Care 16(2):116–26, 2007.
1983-85: Public Health Traineeship, Johns Hopkins University, School of Hygiene and Public Health