Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Departments of Anesthesiology/Critical Care Medicine and Pediatrics
Division of Pediatric Anesthesiology/Critical Care Medicine
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Bloomberg Children's Center, Suite 6327
1800 Orleans Street
Baltimore, MD 21287
Dr. Eugenie Heitmiller’s academic interest is in healthcare quality improvement and safety research, particularly as it relates to pediatric patients undergoing anesthesia. She is currently investigating the use of a continuous, noninvasive hemoglobin monitor; transfusion practices of pediatric anesthesiologists and potential sources of transfusion errors; and infection control practices in the operating room, including hand hygiene and antibiotic prophylaxis. She is also participating in a project to examine biomarkers for neurologic injury in patients undergoing cardiac surgery.
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- International Anesthesia Research Society
- Maryland/DC Society of Anesthesiologists
- Society for Pediatric Anesthesia
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Congenital Cardiac Anesthesia Society
- Society for Cardiovascular Anesthesia
- Makary MA, Holzmueller CG, Thompson DA, Rowen L, Heitmiller ES, Maley WR, Black JH, Stegner K, Freischlag JA, Ulatowski JA, Pronovost PJ. Operating room briefings: working on the same page. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 32(6):351–5,2006.
- Aboumatar HJ, Blackledge CG Jr, Dickson C, Heitmiller E, Freischlag J, Pronovost PJ. A descriptive study of morbidity and mortality conferences and their conformity to medical incident analysis models: results of the morbidity and mortality conference improvement study, phase 1. Am J Med Qual 2007 22(4):232–8, 2007.
- Heitmiller E, Martinez E, Pronovost P. Identifying and learning from mistakes. Anesthesiology 106(4):654–6, 2007.
- Michaels RK, Makary MA, Dahab Y, Frassica FJ, Heitmiller E, Rowen LC, Crotreau R, Brem H, Pronovost PJ. Achieving the National Quality Forum’s “Never Events”: prevention of wrong site, wrong procedure, and wrong patient operations. Ann Surg 245(4):526–32, 2007.
- Schwartz JM, Vricella LA, Jeffries MA, Heitmiller ES. Cerebral oximetry guides treatment during Blalock-Taussig shunt procedure. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 22(1):95–7, 2008.
- Heitmiller ES, Hill RB, Marshall CE, Parsons BJ, Berkow LC, Barrasso CA, Zink EK, Ness PM. Blood wastage reduction using Lean Sigma methodology. Transfusion 50:1887–96, 2010.
Laboratory Members/Key Associates
- Chinwe Ajuba-Iwuji, MD
- Allison Fernandez, MD
- Robert Greenberg, MD
- Elizabeth Martinez, MD
- Peter Pronovost, MD, PhD
- Jamie Schwartz, MD
- Deborah Schwengel, MD
- Hal Shaffner, MD
- Myron Yaster, MD
- ASA Media Award, 1996 for “Sunday Rounds – Anesthesiology”, National Public Radio
- Baltimore Magazine “Best Doctors” in Pediatric Anesthesia, 2007