I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Departments of Anesthesiology/Critical Care Medicine; Environmental Health Sciences,
Division of Physiology; Medicine, Division of Pulmonary Medicine; and Radiology
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
601 North Caroline Street, JHOC B152
Baltimore, MD 21287
Dr. Brown joined ACCM in 1989. His overall area of research interest is the structure-function relationship of pulmonary airways and vessels and how they relate to reactive airway disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Current research interests and funded projects include the study of mechanisms and treatment of COPD progression, HIV infection in the etiology of lung disease, the natural history of asthma from birth to early adult life, the pathophysiologic consequences of lung distension, new approaches for the treatment of asthma, and lung inflation and airway hyperresponsiveness.
In particular, the studies in his laboratory involve:
- the regional differences in airways constriction in response to a variety of differential bronchoconstrictors
- the location and mechanism of inhalational-induced bronchodilation
- the effects of various physiologic stimuli on airway constriction
- pulmonary vasculature and airway interaction following various physiologic stimuli
- noninvasive methods of measuring lung disease
- the relationship of emphysema and airway distensibility to obstructive lung disease
- three-dimensional reconstruction of the airway tree
- radiation exposure in at-risk populations
- high-resolution computed tomography of the pulmonary airways and vessels in vivo
Dr. Brown’s long-term goal is to elucidate the structural changes in the lungs that lead to the pathophysiology of lung disease
- American Physiological Society
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- American Thoracic Society
- Association of University Anesthesiologists
- International Anesthesiology Research Society
- Maryland Society of Anesthesiologists
Selected Recent Publications
- Seow CY, An SS, Bai TR, Bates JHT, Black JL, Brown RH, et al. Airway smooth muscle dynamics: A final common pathway of airway obstruction in asthma. Eur Respir J 29:834–60, 2007.
- Brown RH, Wizeman W, Danek C, Mitzner W. Effects of bronchial thermoplasty on airway closure. Clinical Medicine: Circulatory, Respiratory and Pulmonary Medicine 1:1–6, 2007.
- Meier S, Groeben H, Mitzner W, Brown RH. Genetic variability of induction and emergence times for inhalational anaesthetics. Eur J Anaesthesiol 25:113–7, 2008
- Brown RH, Irvin C, Allen G, Shapiro S, Martin W, Kolb M, Hyde D, Nieman G, Cody D, Ishii M, Kadlecek S, Driehuys B, Rizi R, Wu A, Weber W, Stout D. An official ATS conference proceedings: Advances in small-animal imaging application to lung pathophysiology. Proc Am Thorac Soc 5(5):591–600, 2008.
- Brown RH, Kaczka D, Fallano K, Chen S, Mitzner W. Temporal variability in the responses of individual canine airways to methacholine. J Appl Physiol 106(2):520–30,2008.
Laboratory Members/Key Associates
Richard Rabold, BA
Alllison Broker, BA
Curt Reynolds, MAS
Kris Macri, BS
Alicia Hulbert, MD
Ray Robinson, MD
Paul Talalay, MD
Jed Fahey, ScD
John Groopman, PhD
Brad Drummond, MD
Claudio Loccioni, PhD
Vincenzo Bellia, MD
Pamela Guerrerio, MD
Wayne Mitzner, PhD
Terence Risby, PhD
Greg Kirk, MD
Malcolm Brock, MD
Allan Scott, PhD
Paul Locke, PhD
David Kazcka, MD, PhD
Robert Hamilton, PhD
Sol Permutt, MD
Mark Liu, MD
Alkis Togias, MD
Bob Wise, M.D
Elizabeth Wagner, PhD
Masaru Ishii, MD, PhD
Nadia Hensel, MD
Nicola Scichilone, MD
Mahadevappa Mahesh, PhD
- Regents Scholarship, New York State (1977–1981)
- Omicron Delta Epsilon (1981)
- Magna cum laude, University of Rochester (1981)
- Fleischner Memorial Award, Fleischner Society (1994)