ACCM Achievements, February 2014
Grants ReceivedMela Bembea, MD, received a grant from the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization for a study titled "Neurologic outcomes of extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation (ECPR): Linking the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization (ELSO) and the American Heart Association Get With The Guidelines - Resuscitation (AHA GWTG-R) Databases."
- Ant OA, Wu H, Garrido M, Pronovost PJ, Gurses AP. Usability and perceived usefulness of personal health records for preventive health care: A case study focusing on patients' and primary care providers' perspectives. Appl Ergon 2014; 45:613-28.
- Aslakson RA, Schuster AL, Miller J, Weiss M, Volandes AE, Bridges JF. An environmental scan of advance care planning decision aids for patients undergoing major surgery: A study protocol. Patient 2014; in press.
- Chalfin HJ, Frank SM, Feng Z, Trock BJ, Drake CG, Reach M, Partin AW, Humphreys E, Ness P, Jeong BC, Lee SB, Han M. Allogeneic vs. autologous blood transfusion and survival after radical prostatectomy. Transfusion 2014; in press.
- Cohen SP, Mao J. Neuropathic pain: mechanisms and their clinical implications. BMJ 2014; 348:f7656.
- Dalesio NM, Kattail D, Ishman SL. Ultrasound use in the pediatric airway: the time has come. Anesth Analg 2014; 2:23-6.
- Evans AS, Yee MS, Hogue CW. Often overlooked problems with handoffs: From the intensive care unit to the operating room. Anesth Analg 2014; in press.
- Fan L, Guan X, Wang W, Zhao JY, Zhang H, Tiwari V, Hoffman PN, Li M, Tao YX. Impaired neuropathic pain and preserved acute pain in rats overexpressing voltage-gated potassium channel subunit Kv1.2 in primary afferent neurons. Mol Pain 2014; 10:8.
- Frank SM, Masear CG. Optimizing preoperative blood product orders at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. MLO Med Lab Obs 2013; 45:13-4.
- Hahn DK, Geocadin RG, Greer DM. Quality of evidence in studies evaluating neuroimaging for neurologic prognostication in adult patients resuscitated from cardiac arrest. Resuscitation 2014; 85:165-72.
- Kudchadkar SR, Yaster M, Punjabi NM. Sedation, sleep promotion, and delirium screening practices in the care of mechanically ventilated children: A wake-up call for the pediatric critical care community. Crit Care Med 2014; in press.
- Kurth CD, Tyler D, Heitmiller E, Tosone SR, Martin L, Deshpande JK. National Pediatric Anesthesia Safety Quality Improvement Program in the United States. Anesth Analg 2014; in press.
- Lee F, Jamison DE, Hurley RW, Cohen SP. Epidural lysis of adhesions. Korean J Pain 2014; 27:3-15.
- Maxwell BG, Lobato RL, Cason MB, Wong JK. Perioperative morbidity and mortality of cardiothoracic surgery in patients with a do-not-resuscitate order. PeerJ 2014; 2:e245.
- Nyquist PA. Toxicity with hyperoxia in brain injury? Retrospection identifies unforeseen obstacles. Crit Care Med 2014; 42:469-70.
- Pandian V, Miller CR, Schiavi AJ, Yarmus L, Contractor A, Haut ER, Feller-Kopman DJ, Mirski MA, Morad AH, Carey JP, Hillel AT, Maragos CS, Bhatti NI. Utilization of a standardized tracheostomy capping and decannulation protocol to improve patient safety. Laryngoscope 2014; in press.
- Schwengel DA, Dalesio NM, Stierer TL. Pediatric obstructive sleep apnea. Anesthesiol Clin 2014; 32:237-61.
- Shen X, Bhatt N, Xu J, Meng T, Aon M, O'Rourke B, Berkowitz D, Cortassa S, Gao WD. Effect of isoflurane on myocardial energetic and oxidative stress in cardiac muscle from Zucker diabetic fatty rat. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2014; in press.
- Steppan J, Sikka G, Jandu S, Barodka V, Halushka MK, Flavahan NA, Belkin AM, Nyhan D, Butlin M, Avolio AP, Berkowitz DE, Santhanam L. Exercise, vascular stiffness and tissue transglutaminase. J Am Heart Assoc 2014; in press.
- Strom C, Rasmussen LS, Sieber FE. Should general anaesthesia be avoided in the elderly? Anaesthesia 2014; 69 Suppl 1:35-44.
- Thakur KT, Probasco JC, Hocker SE, Roehl K, Henry B, Kossoff EH, Kaplan PW, Geocadin RG, Hartman AL, Venkatesan A, Cervenka MC. Ketogenic diet for adults in super-refractory status epilepticus. Neurology 2014; in press.
- van der Eerden AW, Khalilzadeh O, Perlbarg V, Dinkel J, Sanchez P, Vos PE, Luyt CE, Stevens RD, Menjot de CN, Delmaire C, Tollard E, Gupta R, Dormont D, Laureys S, Benali H, Vanhaudenhuyse A, Galanaud D, Puybasset L. White matter changes in comatose survivors of anoxic ischemic encephalopathy and traumatic brain injury: comparative diffusion-tensor imaging study. Radiology 2014; 270:506-16.
- Weaver SJ, Dy SM, Rosen MA. Team-training in healthcare: a narrative synthesis of the literature. BMJ Qual Saf 2014; in press.
- Wu CL, Murphy JD. Conflicting guidelines/consensus recommendations: What should the clinician do? J Clin Anesth 2014; in press.
- Xu JT, Zhao JY, Zhao X, Ligons D, Tiwari V, Atianjoh FE, Lee CY, Liang L, Zang W, Njoku D, Raja SN, Yaster M, Tao YX. Opioid receptor-triggered spinal mTORC1 activation contributes to morphine tolerance and hyperalgesia. J Clin Invest 2014; 124:592-603.
- Xu Q, Cheong YK, Yang F, Tiwari V, Li J, Liu J, Raja SN, Li W, Guan Y. Intrathecal carbenoxolone inhibits neuropathic pain and spinal wide-dynamic range neuronal activity in rats after an L5 spinal nerve injury. Neurosci Lett 2014; in press.
Accomplishments and Honors
- Lauren Berkow, MD, was written up in in the online newsletter Maryland Hospitals for a Healthy Environment for her work on sustainability here at Hopkins. See the article at http://mdh2e.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/February-2014-News-Roundup.pdf
- Steven Cohen, MD, was asked to join the editorial board of the journal Pain as an Associate Editor.
- The article by Nick Dalesio et al., Ultrasound use in the pediatric airway: The time has come, was featured in an editorial in Anesthesia and Analgesia Case Reports (Feb 1, 2014).
- Michael Erdek, MD, was asked to join the editorial board of Pain Medicine, Cancer Pain and Palliative Care section.
- The article “A novel method of data analysis for utilization of red cell transfusion” by Steve Frank, et al. was feature on the cover of Transfusion in December.