Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Associate Professor of Surgery
Director of Anesthesia Liver Transplant Division
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Sheikh Zayed Tower
1800 Orleans Street
Baltimore, MD 21287
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5615
- Head, JHH Liver Transplant Anesthesia
- Head, Transplant Anesthesia Group (Addresses clinical care and teaching for abdominal organ transplantation)
- Co-Founder, International Liver Transplantation Society - 1989
- Treasurer, ILTS, 1989-1997
- President, ILTS, 1999-2001
- Founder, ILTS - ‘Perioperative Care in Liver Transplantation’ – 1994 – director for 15 years; educational daylong conference that continues to be held annually at the American Society of Anesthesiology meeting
- ILTS Distinguished Service Award – annual conference, NYC, 2009
- Former editorial board member – Liver Transplantation
- Editorial Board – Experimental and Clinical Transplantation
- Research Interests – coagulation; hemodynamics; EMR
Dr. William Merritt is an associate professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine and surgery at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He is an expert in anesthesiology and transplant surgery. Dr. Merritt serves as the director of Anesthesia Liver Transplant Division at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
Dr. Merritt earned his M.D. from University of Maryland. He completed his residency and performed a fellowship in anesthesiology and critical care medicine at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He is certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology and the American Board of Pediatrics.
His research interests include blood substitutes and blood conservation methods, metabolism in end-stage liver disease and hemodynamics of end-stage liver disease.