Clinician Scientist Award
Background and Purpose
In an effort to promote the research career development of young faculty physicians in the clinical departments, the School of Medicine has created a fund for the provision of salary and fringe benefits. Allocations from this fund are based on a competitive application process which is tied closely to concurrent efforts to obtain external support of research. This initiative has been developed to address the problem of increasing pressures on young faculty to expend substantial clinical effort in order to generate sufficient funds to support their salaries. The purpose of these awards is to protect the research time of qualified young faculty.
- M.D. degree (or equivalent)
- Full-time primary appointment as instructor or assistant professor in a clinical department, salaried by the University at the time of initiation of the award
- Nomination by the department director and commitment to permit at least 75% research effort if an award is made
- Submission of an existing, pending or draft application for external research support - especially career development/ mentored awards (e.g., NIH K08, K23) or other career awards for new investigators obtained through a competitive peer review process (federal or non-federal)
- Active role as a clinician and evidence that the award of a CSA will in fact result in protection of research time which otherwise would be devoted to clinical practice
Deadlines for Submission of Applications
Jan. 1 --- July 1
July 1 --- Dec. 1
Submit one original and two paper copies to the SOM Office of Research Administration.
Submit one pdf copy of the entire application via email to Michelle Linehan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Do NOT include the Salary and Effort Planning Form in the pdf copy.
Both the paper and pdf copies must be in the order listed below (1-9).
Application Format and Content
Application must be collated and organized in the following order (please do NOT use staples):
- Complete a COEUS Proposal Development Record (COEUS PD) following instructions located under the SOM ORA website: http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/Research/ora/Forms/index.html, Item #5A (preparing a proposal for submission to a sponsor as a paper/hard copy) with three exceptions. 1) Proposal Type is "Internal Application"; 2) Sponsor Name (SOMCSA) and Sponsor Code number (306511); 3) do NOT upload Narrative types in the COEUS PD for the SOMCSA; 4) Print Proposal Summary document using Webforms/COEUS Utilities and obtain PI signature in Comment Section and include as #1 of your application.
- Abstract form
- Letter of support from department director addressing:
- Qualifications of applicant and career plans
- Research space (bldg., rm. #) and facilities available to applicant
- Letter from applicant addressing:
- Overall plans for research career development
- Specific impact of successful application (include information on the extent and nature of your clinical responsibilities with and without the CSA
- Listing of other existing, pending or planned research support (internal or external)
NOTE: IF THIS IS NOT YOUR FIRST APPLICATION for the CSA, be sure to also provide specific details about your progress since your earlier submission and how this application addresses your previous reviews.
- Letters of support from two people (other than the department director) who are familiar with the applicant's qualifications. The letters of support should accompany the application. A letter from the applicant's lab director is expected if the applicant is working in facilities other than his/her own.
- Applicant's curriculum vitae and bibliography
- Copy of existing (funded), pending (submitted) or draft (unsubmitted) application for external research support or career development support from a sponsor (federal or private) which makes selections based on a peer review process. If you are unsure about whether your application qualifies, check with Michelle Linehan in the Office of Research Administration at x5-8937. If you submit a pending application, you must provide the Committee with a copy of the sponsor's review of that application (e.g., the "summary statement” from eRA Commons) as soon as it is available
- Appendix material, e.g., reprints, pre-prints or other supporting materials (only three copies necessary)
- Submit ONE Salary and Effort Planning Form in the original only – do NOT include in the pdf submission.
Critera for Selection
- The grant - Is the grant sufficiently focused and is the applicant able to articulate the potential strengths and weaknesses in the application? Can the applicant address questions that the reviewer may raise about the application's scientific issues or the overall structure of the grant proposal?
- The quality of the mentor/applicant relationship
- The productivity of the applicant both in prior publications and in the development of preliminary data for the grant
- The commitment of the mentor, division director and department director to protect the applicant's research time.
- The strength of the recommendations
- The overall feasibility of the applicant's ability to complete the specific aims of the grant and publish the results in peer reviewed publications
- Awards may be made for up to $80,000 per year for a maximum of two years to support up to 75% of the applicant's salary and benefits. Salary support from external awards will be subtracted from the 75% figure in determining the exact amount of the internal award. The CSA is not intended to supplement external support in order to enable the applicant to devote more than 75% effort to research
- Funding beyond the first year is dependent on the continuation of the Program and a satisfactory progress report
- Expenditures are limited to salary and fringe benefits
- Awards to faculty with concurrent external support equal to/greater than $50,000/year (direct costs, irrespective of funding purpose or restrictions) will be limited to a maximum of $40,000 CSA support per year.
Second Year Funding
- A second year of CSA funding is usually awarded at no more than the level of the first year, provided that the candidate has demonstrated sufficient progress, and has a continuing need for salary up to 75%. The awardee will automatically receive notification regarding the format of the renewal report at least one month before it is due
- If a draft application was used to apply for the first year of CSA funding, an application for a research project or career development award must be submitted to a peer-review sponsor prior to applying for the second year's funding.
- To document the benefit of this program, successful applicants will be required to report to the Committee on their research, publications and funding for several years following their award.
Further information on this Program may be obtained by phoning George Dover, M.D., Chairman, CSA Selection Committee (x5-5976) or Michelle P. Linehan, Committee Secretary (x5-8937).
Applications should be submitted to:
Clinician Scientist Awards
Office of Research Administration
Broadway Research Building
Additional Instructions for the COEUS PD and the Effort and Salary Planning Form
- Sponsor Code is 306511-SOM Clinician Scientist Award
- Sponsor Type is “Other”
- Project Purpose is “Research”
- Title should be that of the research project, not CSA application
- Request is for one year only
- Total Award Amount (maximum of $80,000 or $40,000).
- A second application should be marked "revision" rather than "new"
Effort and Salary Planning Form
- Enter salary figures only on this form (do not include fringe benefits)
- TOTALS should include projected yearly increases when proposed period overlaps beginning of new fiscal year (July) or salary changes proposed at other times
- Do not include awards which are pending at the time of CSA application unless you are certain of award
- We are looking for actual % effort and actual dollar figures; in contrast to most sponsored funding applications, percent effort may not always equal percent dollar recovery
- Please contact Michelle Linehan, the Committee Secretary (x5-8937), if you have any questions about this form.