Infectious diseases and related conditions are estimated to afflict greater than 10 million people in the United States annually. In an era of soaring health care costs, declining research funding, and antibiotic resistance, there is a need to improve diagnosis and treatment of many infectious diseases.
The Sherrilyn and Ken Fisher Center for Environmental Infectious Diseases is dedicated to the clinical care and research of diseases that may be classified as environmental infectious diseases. The term “environmental infectious disease” includes disease causing agents found in traditional ecological environments, such as air, soil, and water, in addition to vector-borne or zoonotic diseases, and those acquired from built environments (home, hospital and community).
Director: Paul G. Auwaerter, M.D., M.B.A.
The Sherrilyn and Ken Fisher Center for Environmental Infectious Diseases is dedicated to the clinical research of environmental pathogens which improves the diagnosis and treatment of these infections.
Fisher Center Goals
- Be a leader in prevention and clinical treatment of less understood environmental infectious diseases
- Develop excellence in clinical research and education regarding environmental infectious pathogens
- Support leadership development in clinical care and research
Currently Supported Research Topics
- Characterization and outcomes of Lyme disease in the United States
- Tick-borne febrile illness in the United States
- Use of antibiotics on colorectal cancer risk
- Laboratory methods to identify reduced antiseptic susceptibility with chlorhexidine use
- Staphylococcus aureus infections in modern livestock production workers
- Clostridium difficile infections in hospitalized patients
- Prosthetic joint infections with Propionibacterium acnes
- Occupational infections after solid organ and bone marrow transplant
- Characterization of Nocardia infections
- Infectious disease outpatient registry
To donate today, simply mail your tax-deductible contributions payable to Johns Hopkins University to the address below or send your gift through the link below.
Methods of payment
To make a gift or pledge online, please complete our secure online giving form.
To speak to someone directly about making a gift, please call 410-955-9916.
Mail your giving form to:
Dr. Paul Auwaerter, Director
The Sherrilyn & Ken Fisher Ctr for Environmental Infectious Diseases
Johns Hopkins Medicine
725 N. Wolfe Street, PTCB - Rm 231
Baltimore, MD 21287
Have questions about philanthropic giving to the Division of Infectious Diseases? Contact us.