Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Welcome from Dr. Mark Anderson
Welcome to the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Department of Medicine website. We pledge to frequently update our site to better reflect our work in each arm of the tripartite mission of clinical care, education and research, and the remarkable accomplishments of our faculty and staff members.
As a department, we are committed to the progress of biomedical discovery, teaching the next generation of doctors and scientists and the improvement of health in our neighborhood and around the world.
This is a diverse and welcoming department that is proud to be the birthplace of many medical innovations. Our most famous forbearer, Sir William Osler, is considered the father of modern academic medicine. One of the four founding physicians of The Johns Hopkins Hospital and school of medicine, he created the first medical residency program in the country, built an environment for promoting fundamental and translational research and advanced undergraduate medical education by bringing medical students from the classroom to the patient’s bedside.
Today, our department is made up of an amazing group of people who together provide cutting-edge patient care, maintain the country’s top internal medicine training programs and conduct more externally funded research than almost anywhere else. It is difficult to summarize all the important work of the department, but to start, the Department of Medicine:
- Has more than 550 full-time faculty members across 21 academic divisions
- Employs nearly 3,000 staff members
- Provided care for 265,000 clinic visits last year
- Discharged more than 28,000 patients from The Johns Hopkins Hospital and Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Is primarily based at our two campuses in Baltimore
- Has outlying clinical locations across the Baltimore-Washington metro area
- Maintains an annual research portfolio of more than $175 million
- Partners with the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, currently ranked No. 1 in Internal Medicine and Geriatrics by U.S. News & World Report
- Is ranked as the top internal medicine residency program by program directors
I am honored to serve as the director of this outstanding department. If you have questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Mark E. Anderson, MD, PhD
William Osler Professor of Medicine
Director, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University
Physician-in-Chief, Johns Hopkins Hospital