Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Post doctoral Fellow
MBBS: Dhaka Medical College,
PhD: Kagoshima University,
Combination therapy of TB is essential to obtain optimal efficacy and to prevent the selection of drug-resistant mutants. My work is focused on two objectives:
1) Previous studies suggest that there is an antagonism of isoniazid on the activity of the rifampin-pyrazinamide combination in the murine model of TB. Our goal is to explore the pharmacological and microbiological aspects of this antagonism.
2) New drug candidates require assessment of their potential additive activity in combination with existing drugs. We are currently investigating the combinatorial activity of PA-824 with first-line TB drugs and with moxifloxacin in the murine model of active TB.
To read some of these publications online, click here. Please note that to read the full text of some of these articles requires that you have an online subscription to the journal.
1. Williams, K. N., C. K. Stover, T. Zhu, R. Tasneen, S. Tyagi, J. H. Grosset, and E. Nuermberger. 2009. Promising antituberculosis activity of the oxazolidinone PNU-100480 relative to that of linezolid in a murine model. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:1314-9.
2. Tasneen, R., S. Tyagi, K. Williams, J. Grosset, and E. Nuermberger. 2008. Enhanced bactericidal activity of rifampin and/or pyrazinamide when combined with PA-824 in a murine model of tuberculosis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:3664-8.
3. Nuermberger, E., S. Tyagi, R. Tasneen, K. N. Williams, D. Almeida, I. Rosenthal, and J. H. Grosset. 2008. Powerful bactericidal and sterilizing activity of a regimen containing PA-824, moxifloxacin, and pyrazinamide in a murine model of tuberculosis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:1522-4.
4. Tasneen, R., K. Yoshiie, T. Ohkawa, and H. Oda. 1997. High concentration of recombinant murine interferon-beta enhances the growth of Orientia (formerly Rickettsia) tsutsugamushi Gilliam in mouse L929 cells. Acta Virol 41:77-82.
5. Tasneen, R. Dengue Jar : Pratirodh abong Pratikar (Dengue fever: Prevention and treatment) Rokeya Tasneen and Purabi Dutta: Ganokendro 28(5):25-27,2000. (in Bengali)
6. Tasneen, R. Role of penicillin in the treatment of Scrub typhus fever. Rokeya Tasneen and Hiroshi Oda,:Bangladesh Medical Association Journal 3-4: July – October:25-28,2002