Yukari C. Manabe, M.D.
Work on the immunopathogenesis of disease has also been pursued from the murine perspective with active research on the interaction between M. tuberculosis and rodent malaria in the immunomodulation of both diseases. Other members of the laboratory are also pursuing comparative genomics with members of the M. tuberculosis complex of organisms. In particular, the lab has been investigating a naturally attenuated strain, M. microti, for genomic clues to virulence. Because of its natural attenuation and previous successful use as a tuberculosis vaccine, work on recombinant M. microti vaccine is on-going.
Dr. Yukari Manabe obtained her undergraduate degree from Yale University and her M.D. from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. After completing both her residency in Internal Medicine and fellowship in Infectious Diseases at Johns Hopkins Hospital, she joined the faculty in 1999.
To read some of these publications online, click here. Please note that to read the full text of some of these articles requires that you have an online subscription to the journal.
|1. Manabe, Y. C., S. T. Jacob, D. Thomas, T. C. Quinn, A. Ronald, A. Coutinho, H. Mayanja-Kizza, and C. Merry. 2009. Resurrecting the triple threat: academic social responsibility in the context of global health research. Clin Infect Dis 48:1420-2.|
2. Manabe, Y. C., R. Breen, T. Perti, E. Girardi, and T. R. Sterling. 2009. Unmasked tuberculosis and tuberculosis immune reconstitution inflammatory disease: a disease spectrum after initiation of antiretroviral therapy. J Infect Dis 199:437-44.
3. Kesavan, A. K., M. Brooks, J. Tufariello, J. Chan, and Y. C. Manabe. 2009. Tuberculosis genes expressed during persistence and reactivation in the resistant rabbit model. Tuberculosis (Edinb) 89:17-21.
4. Converse, P. J., P. C. Karakousis, L. G. Klinkenberg, A. K. Kesavan, L. H. Ly, S. S. Allen, J. H. Grosset, S. K. Jain, G. Lamichhane, Y. C. Manabe, D. N. McMurray, E. L. Nuermberger, and W. R. Bishai. 2009. Role of the dosR-dosS two-component regulatory system in Mycobacterium tuberculosis virulence in three animal models. Infect Immun 77:1230-7.
5. Page, K. R., Y. C. Manabe, A. Adelakun, L. Federline, W. Cronin, J. D. Campbell, and S. E. Dorman. 2008. Timing of therapy for latent tuberculosis infection among immigrants presenting to a U.S. public health clinic: a retrospective study. BMC Public Health 8:158.
6. Mendez, S., C. L. Hatem, A. K. Kesavan, J. Lopez-Molina, M. L. Pitt, A. M. Dannenberg, Jr., and Y. C. Manabe. 2008. Susceptibility to tuberculosis: composition of tuberculous granulomas in Thorbecke and outbred New Zealand White rabbits. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 122:167-74.
7. Manabe, Y. C., A. K. Kesavan, J. Lopez-Molina, C. L. Hatem, M. Brooks, R. Fujiwara, K. Hochstein, M. L. Pitt, J. Tufariello, J. Chan, D. N. McMurray, W. R. Bishai, A. M. Dannenberg, Jr., and S. Mendez. 2008. The aerosol rabbit model of TB latency, reactivation and immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome. Tuberculosis (Edinb) 88:187-96.
8. Manabe, Y. C., J. D. Campbell, E. Sydnor, and R. D. Moore. 2007. Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome: risk factors and treatment implications. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 46:456-62.
9. Karakousis, P. C., F. G. Sifakis, R. M. de Oca, V. C. Amorosa, K. R. Page, Y. C. Manabe, and J. D. Campbell. 2007. U.S. medical resident familiarity with national tuberculosis guidelines. BMC Infect Dis 7:89.
10. Tufariello, J. M., K. Mi, J. Xu, Y. C. Manabe, A. K. Kesavan, J. Drumm, K. Tanaka, W. R. Jacobs, Jr., and J. Chan. 2006. Deletion of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis resuscitation-promoting factor Rv1009 gene results in delayed reactivation from chronic tuberculosis. Infect Immun 74:2985-95.
11. Page, K. R., A. L. Scott, and Y. C. Manabe. 2006. The expanding realm of heterologous immunity: friend or foe? Cell Microbiol 8:185-96.
12. Helke, K. L., J. L. Mankowski, and Y. C. Manabe. 2006. Animal models of cavitation in pulmonary tuberculosis. Tuberculosis (Edinb) 86:337-48.
13. Page, K. R., A. E. Jedlicka, B. Fakheri, G. S. Noland, A. K. Kesavan, A. L. Scott, N. Kumar, and Y. C. Manabe. 2005. Mycobacterium-induced potentiation of type 1 immune responses and protection against malaria are host specific. Infect Immun 73:8369-80.
14. Manabe, Y. C., C. L. Hatem, A. K. Kesavan, J. Durack, and J. R. Murphy. 2005. Both Corynebacterium diphtheriae DtxR(E175K) and Mycobacterium tuberculosis IdeR(D177K) are dominant positive repressors of IdeR-regulated genes in M. tuberculosis. Infect Immun 73:5988-94.
15. Kesavan, A. K., S. E. Mendez, C. L. Hatem, J. Lopez-Molina, K. Aird, M. L. Pitt, A. M. Dannenberg, Jr., and Y. C. Manabe. 2005. Effects of dexamethasone and transient malnutrition on rabbits infected with aerosolized Mycobacterium tuberculosis CDC1551. Infect Immun 73:7056-60.
16. Scott, C. P., N. Kumar, W. R. Bishai, and Y. C. Manabe. 2004. Short report: modulation of Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection by Plasmodium in the murine model. Am J Trop Med Hyg 70:144-8.
17. Geiman, D. E., D. Kaushal, C. Ko, S. Tyagi, Y. C. Manabe, B. G. Schroeder, R. D. Fleischmann, N. E. Morrison, P. J. Converse, P. Chen, and W. R. Bishai. 2004. Attenuation of late-stage disease in mice infected by the Mycobacterium tuberculosis mutant lacking the SigF alternate sigma factor and identification of SigF-dependent genes by microarray analysis. Infect Immun 72:1733-45.
18. Dorman, S. E., C. L. Hatem, S. Tyagi, K. Aird, J. Lopez-Molina, M. L. Pitt, B. C. Zook, A. M. Dannenberg, Jr., W. R. Bishai, and Y. C. Manabe. 2004. Susceptibility to tuberculosis: clues from studies with inbred and outbred New Zealand White rabbits. Infect Immun 72:1700-5.
19. Manabe, Y. C., A. M. Dannenberg, Jr., S. K. Tyagi, C. L. Hatem, M. Yoder, S. C. Woolwine, B. C. Zook, M. L. Pitt, and W. R. Bishai. 2003. Different strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis cause various spectrums of disease in the rabbit model of tuberculosis. Infect Immun 71:6004-11.
20. Ando, M., Y. C. Manabe, P. J. Converse, E. Miyazaki, R. Harrison, J. R. Murphy, and W. R. Bishai. 2003. Characterization of the role of the divalent metal ion-dependent transcriptional repressor MntR in the virulence of Staphylococcus aureus. Infect Immun 71:2584-90.
21. Scott, C. P., L. Dos Anjos Filho, F. C. De Queiroz Mello, C. G. Thornton, W. R. Bishai, L. S. Fonseca, A. L. Kritski, R. E. Chaisson, and Y. C. Manabe. 2002. Comparison of C(18)-carboxypropylbetaine and standard N-acetyl-L-cysteine-NaOH processing of respiratory specimens for increasing tuberculosis smear sensitivity in Brazil. J Clin Microbiol 40:3219-22.
22. Manabe, Y. C., C. P. Scott, and W. R. Bishai. 2002. Naturally attenuated, orally administered Mycobacterium microti as a tuberculosis vaccine is better than subcutaneous Mycobacterium bovis BCG. Infect Immun 70:1566-70.
23. Kaushal, D., B. G. Schroeder, S. Tyagi, T. Yoshimatsu, C. Scott, C. Ko, L. Carpenter, J. Mehrotra, Y. C. Manabe, R. D. Fleischmann, and W. R. Bishai. 2002. Reduced immunopathology and mortality despite tissue persistence in a Mycobacterium tuberculosis mutant lacking alternative sigma factor, SigH. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:8330-5.
24. Manabe, Y. C., A. M. Dannenberg, Jr., and W. R. Bishai. 2000. What we can learn from the Mycobacterium tuberculosis genome sequencing projects. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 4:S18-23.
25. Manabe, Y. C., and W. R. Bishai. 2000. Latent Mycobacterium tuberculosis-persistence, patience, and winning by waiting. Nat Med 6:1327-9.
26. Manabe, Y. C., B. J. Saviola, L. Sun, J. R. Murphy, and W. R. Bishai. 1999. Attenuation of virulence in Mycobacterium tuberculosis expressing a constitutively active iron repressor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:12844-8.
27. Manabe, Y. C., J. M. Chen, C. G. Ko, P. Chen, and W. R. Bishai. 1999. Conditional sigma factor expression, using the inducible acetamidase promoter, reveals that the Mycobacterium tuberculosis sigF gene modulates expression of the 16-kilodalton alpha-crystallin homologue. J Bacteriol 181:7629-33.
28. Manabe, Y. C., D. P. Clark, R. D. Moore, J. A. Lumadue, H. R. Dahlman, P. C. Belitsos, R. E. Chaisson, and C. L. Sears. 1998. Cryptosporidiosis in patients with AIDS: correlates of disease and survival. Clin Infect Dis 27:536-42.
29. Lumadue, J. A., Y. C. Manabe, R. D. Moore, P. C. Belitsos, C. L. Sears, and D. P. Clark. 1998. A clinicopathologic analysis of AIDS-related cryptosporidiosis. Aids 12:2459-66.
30. Manabe, Y. C., J. M. Vinetz, R. D. Moore, C. Merz, P. Charache, and J. G. Bartlett. 1995. Clostridium difficile colitis: an efficient clinical approach to diagnosis. Ann Intern Med 123:835-40.
31. Canellakis, Z. N., L. L. Marsh, Y. C. Manabe, A. A. Infante, P. K. Bondy, and F. W. Scalise. 1989. Spermidine labels proteins during sea urchin embryogenesis. Biochem Int 19:969-76.