I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Sanjay Jain, M.D.
Associate Professor of Pediatrics and International Health
Director, Center for Infection and Inflammation Imaging Research
Background and Research interests:
Dr. Sanjay K Jain received his medical degree in 1999 from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences in New Delhi. He did his Pediatric residency training at the Penn State Children’s Hospital and the Floating Hospital for Children. Dr. Jain was subsequently a fellow in Pediatric Infectious Diseases at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, before joining its faculty in 2005. Dr. Jain is an Associate Professor of Pediatrics and International Health in the School of Medicine and Bloomberg School of Public Health. He is the current director of the Center for Infection and Inflammation Imaging Research and a member of the Center for TB Research at Johns Hopkins University. His primary research interests include the development and utilization of imaging technologies to study TB pathogenesis and as tools for monitoring disease. He also studies the pathogenesis of CNS TB and utilization of new diagnostics for childhood TB.
Also see: http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/ci3r andhttp://insidehopkinsmedicine.org/news/news_detail.cfm?id=6393
1. Jain SK, Deepak KK. Cost Effective Computerized Analysis of Biological Signals. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 1995; 39(4): 389-394.
2. Jain SK. Index of suspicion. Case 3. Diagnosis: Jaundice. Pediatr Rev. 2001 Aug;22(8):271-6.
3. Jain SK, Gupta A, Glanz B, Dick J, Siberry GK. Antimicrobial-resistant Shigella sonnei: Limited antimicrobial treatment options for children and challenges of interpreting in vitro azithromycin susceptibility. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2005 Jun;24(6):494-497.
4. Jain SK, Persaud D, Perl TM, Pass MA, Murphy KM, Pisciotta JM, Scholl PF, Casella JF, Sullivan DJ. Nosocomial Malaria and Saline Flush. Emerg Infect Dis. 2005 July;11(7):1097-99.
5. Jain SK, Kwon P, Moss WJ. Management and outcomes of intracranial tuberculomas developing during antituberculous therapy: case report and review. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2005 Jun;44(5):443-50.
6. Jain SK, Tunkel DE, Bishai WR. Management of Acute Rhinosinusitis, Bronchitis Syndromes, and Acute Otitis Media. Adv Stud Med. 2005; 5(7):344-350.
7. Bhally HS, Jain S, Shields C, Halsey N, Cristofalo E, Merz WG. Infection in a neonate caused by Pichia fabianii: importance of molecular identification. Med Mycol. 2006 Mar;44(2):185-7.
8. Jain SK, Paul-Satyaseela M, Lamichhane G, Kim KS, Bishai WR. Mycobacterium tuberculosis Invasion and Traversal across an In Vitro Human Blood-Brain Barrier as a Pathogenic Mechanism for Central Nervous System Tuberculosis. J Infect Dis. 2006 May 1;193(9):1287-95.
9. Jain SK, Bishai WR. Adherence, treatment success, and resistance. Infect Dis Clin Pract. 2006 July 14(4) Supplement 4:S15-S18.
10. Hernandez-Abanto S, Woolwine SC, Jain SK, Bishai WR. Tetracycline-inducible gene expression in mycobacteria within an animal host using Streptomyces-derived tetO and tetR regulatory elements. Arch Microbiol. 2006 Dec;186(6):459-64.
Hernandez-Abanto S, Cheng Q, Singh P, Ly LH, Klinkenberg G, Morrison NE, Converse PJ, Nuermberger E, Grosset J, McMurray DN, Karakousis PC, Lamichhane G, Bishai WR. Accelerated detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis genes essential for bacterial survival in guinea pigs compared with mice. J Infect Dis. 2007 Jun 1;195(11):1634-42.
12. Jain SK, Lamichhane G, Nimmagadda S, Pomper M, Bishai WR. Antibiotic Treatment of Tuberculosis: Old Problems, New Solutions. Microbe 2008 Jun; 3(6): 285-92.
13. Be N, Lamichhane G, Grosset J, Tyagi S, Cheng Q, Kim KS, Bishai WR, Jain SK. Murine model to study Invasion and Survival of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in the Central Nervous System. J Infect Dis. 2008 Nov 15;198(10):1520-8.
14. Be N, Lamichhane G, Grosset J, Tyagi S, Cheng Q, Kim KS, Bishai WR, Jain SK. Cover Page picture. J Infect Dis. 2008 Nov 15;198(10).
15. Agwu AL, Lee CK, Jain SK, Murray KL, Topolski J, Miller, RE, Townsend T, Lehmann CU. A World Wide Web-based antimicrobial stewardship program improves efficiency, communication, and user satisfaction and reduces cost in a tertiary care pediatric medical center. Clin Infect Dis. 2008 Sep 15;47(6):747-53.
16. Converse PJ, Karakousis PC, Klinkenberg KC, Kesavan AK, Ly LH, Allen SS, Grosset JH, Jain SK, Lamichhane G, Manabe YC, McMurray DN, Nuermberger EL, Bishai WR. The role of the dosR/dosS two-component regulatory system in Mycobacterium tuberculosis virulence in three animal models. Infect Immun. 2009 Mar;77(3):1230-7.
17. Be N, Kim KS, Bishai WR, Jain SK. Pathogenesis of Central Nervous System Tuberculosis. Curr Mol Med. 2009 Mar;9(2):94-9.
18. Vidal C, Hewitt J, Davis S, Younes L, Jain S, Jedynak B. Template Registration with missing parts: Application to the Segmentation of Tuberculosis infected lungs. Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Images 2009:718-721.
19. Davis SL, Be NA, Lamichhane G, Nimmagadda S, Pomper MG, Bishai WR, Jain SK. Bacterial Thymidine Kinase as a Non-Invasive Imaging Reporter for Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Live Animals. PLoS ONE 2009 4(7): e6297. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0006297.
20. Davis SL, Nuermberger EL, Um P, Vidal C, Jedynak B, Pomper MG, Bishai WR, Jain SK. Monitoring response to TB drug treatment using [18F]-2-fluoro-deoxy-D-glucose positron emission tomography. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009 Nov;53(11):4879-84.
21. Dutta NK, Mehra S, Didier PJ, Roy CJ, Doyle LA, Alvarez X, Ratterree M, Be NA, Lamichhane G, Jain SK, Lacey MR, Lackner AA, Kaushal D. Genetic requirements for the survival of tubercle bacilli in primates. J Infect Dis. 2010 Jun 1;201(11):1743-52.
22. Vidal C, Beggs D, Younes L, Jain SK, Jedynak B. Incorporating user input in template-based segmentation. Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Images 2011.
23. Be NA, Klinkenberg LG, Bishai WR, Karakousis PK, Jain SK. Strain-dependent CNS dissemination in guinea pigs after Mycobacterium tuberculosis aerosol challenge. Tuberculosis (Edinb). 2011 Sep;91(5):386-9.
24. Harper J, Skerry C, Davis SL, Tasneen R, Weir W, Kramnik I, Bishai WR, Pomper MG, Nuermberger EL, Jain SK. Mouse model of necrotic TB granulomas develops hypoxic lesions. J Infect Dis. 2012 Feb;205(4):595-602. Epub 2011 Dec 23.
25. Be NA, Bishai WR, Jain SK. Role of Mycobacterium tuberculosis pknD in the Pathogenesis of Central Nervous System Tuberculosis. BMC Microbiol. 2012, 12:7. Highly accessed.
26. Everton KL, Mazal J, Mollura DJ, for RAD-AID Conference Writing Group*. White Paper Report of the 2011 RAD-AID Conference on International Radiology for Developing Countries: Integrating Multidisciplinary Strategies for Imaging Services in the Developing World. J Am Coll Radiol. 2012 (in press)