Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Associate Professor of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases
Read Complete CV.
Email Dr. Dorman
The focus of our work is the development and evaluation of new diagnostic tests for tuberculosis (TB). There is an urgent need for sensitive, specific, rapid tests for detection of active TB disease, latent TB infection, and M. tuberculosis drug resistance.
Our TB diagnostics work involves both laboratory and clinical research, and we have active collaborations with investigators in Brazil and Honduras. The other major focus of our work is the investigation of immunologic and genetic factors that affect susceptibility to M. tuberculosis.
To read some of these publications online, click here. Please note that to read the full text of some of these articles requires that you have an online subscription to the journal.
|1. Ribeiro, S., K. Dooley, J. Hackman, C. Loredo, A. Efron, R. E. Chaisson, M. B. Conde, N. Boechat, and S. E. Dorman. 2009. T-SPOT.TB responses during treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis. BMC Infect Dis 9:23.|
2. Dooley, K. E., T. Tang, J. E. Golub, S. E. Dorman, and W. Cronin. 2009. Impact of diabetes mellitus on treatment outcomes of patients with active tuberculosis. Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:634-9.
3. Page, K. R., Y. C. Manabe, A. Adelakun, L. Federline, W. Cronin, J. D. Campbell, and S. E. Dorman. 2008. Timing of therapy for latent tuberculosis infection among immigrants presenting to a U.S. public health clinic: a retrospective study. BMC Public Health 8:158.
4. Guerra, R. L., N. M. Hooper, J. F. Baker, R. Alborz, D. T. Armstrong, J. A. Kiehlbauch, M. B. Conde, and S. E. Dorman. 2008. Cost-effectiveness of different strategies for amplified Mycobacterium tuberculosis direct testing for cases of pulmonary tuberculosis. J Clin Microbiol 46:3811-2.
5. Guerra, R. L., J. F. Baker, R. Alborz, D. T. Armstrong, J. A. Kiehlbauch, M. B. Conde, S. E. Dorman, and N. M. Hooper. 2008. Specimen dilution improves sensitivity of the amplified Mycobacterium tuberculosis direct test for smear microscopy-positive respiratory specimens. J Clin Microbiol 46:314-6.
6. Dowdy, D. W., M. C. Lourenco, S. C. Cavalcante, V. Saraceni, B. King, J. E. Golub, D. Bishai, B. Durovni, R. E. Chaisson, and S. E. Dorman. 2008. Impact and cost-effectiveness of culture for diagnosis of tuberculosis in HIV-infected Brazilian adults. PLoS ONE 3:e4057.
7. Dowdy, D. W., R. E. Chaisson, G. Maartens, E. L. Corbett, and S. E. Dorman. 2008. Impact of enhanced tuberculosis diagnosis in South Africa: a mathematical model of expanded culture and drug susceptibility testing. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:11293-8.
8. Dooley, K., C. Flexner, J. Hackman, C. A. Peloquin, E. Nuermberger, R. E. Chaisson, and S. E. Dorman. 2008. Repeated administration of high-dose intermittent rifapentine reduces rifapentine and moxifloxacin plasma concentrations. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:4037-42.
9. Szklo, A., F. C. Mello, R. L. Guerra, S. E. Dorman, G. R. Muzy-de-Souza, and M. B. Conde. 2007. Alternative anti-tuberculosis regimen including ofloxacin for the treatment of patients with hepatic injury. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 11:775-80.
10. Mello, F. C., M. S. Arias, S. Rosales, A. G. Marsico, A. Pavon, C. Alvarado-Galvez, C. L. Pessoa, M. Perez, M. K. Andrade, A. L. Kritski, L. S. Fonseca, R. E. Chaisson, M. E. Kimerling, and S. E. Dorman. 2007. Clinical evaluation of the microscopic observation drug susceptibility assay for detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis resistance to isoniazid or rifampin. J Clin Microbiol 45:3387-9.
11. Kasambira, T. S., K. Alwood, J. Baker, N. Hooper, and S. E. Dorman. 2007. Lymphadenitis in an 18-month-old traveler to Mexico. Pediatr Infect Dis J 26:968, 973-4.
12. Guerra, R. L., N. M. Hooper, J. F. Baker, R. Alborz, D. T. Armstrong, G. Maltas, J. A. Kiehlbauch, and S. E. Dorman. 2007. Use of the amplified Mycobacterium tuberculosis direct test in a public health laboratory: test performance and impact on clinical care. Chest 132:946-51.
13. Dorman, S. E., and R. E. Chaisson. 2007. From magic bullets back to the magic mountain: the rise of extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis. Nat Med 13:295-8.
14. Arias, M., F. C. Mello, A. Pavon, A. G. Marsico, C. Alvarado-Galvez, S. Rosales, C. L. Pessoa, M. Perez, M. K. Andrade, A. L. Kritski, L. S. Fonseca, R. E. Chaisson, M. E. Kimerling, and S. E. Dorman. 2007. Clinical evaluation of the microscopic-observation drug-susceptibility assay for detection of tuberculosis. Clin Infect Dis 44:674-80.
15. Torgersen, J., S. E. Dorman, N. Baruch, N. Hooper, and W. Cronin. 2006. Molecular epidemiology of pleural and other extrapulmonary tuberculosis: a Maryland state review. Clin Infect Dis 42:1375-82.
16. Page, K. R., F. Sifakis, R. Montes de Oca, W. A. Cronin, M. C. Doherty, L. Federline, S. Bur, T. Walsh, W. Karney, J. Milman, N. Baruch, A. Adelakun, and S. E. Dorman. 2006. Improved adherence and less toxicity with rifampin vs isoniazid for treatment of latent tuberculosis: a retrospective study. Arch Intern Med 166:1863-70.
17. Dowdy, D. W., R. E. Chaisson, L. H. Moulton, and S. E. Dorman. 2006. The potential impact of enhanced diagnostic techniques for tuberculosis driven by HIV: a mathematical model. Aids 20:751-62.
18. Rosenzweig, S. D., S. E. Dorman, G. Uzel, S. Shaw, A. Scurlock, M. R. Brown, R. H. Buckley, and S. M. Holland. 2004. A novel mutation in IFN-gamma receptor 2 with dominant negative activity: biological consequences of homozygous and heterozygous states. J Immunol 173:4000-8.
19. MacLennan, C., C. Fieschi, D. A. Lammas, C. Picard, S. E. Dorman, O. Sanal, J. M. MacLennan, S. M. Holland, T. H. Ottenhoff, J. L. Casanova, and D. S. Kumararatne. 2004. Interleukin (IL)-12 and IL-23 are key cytokines for immunity against Salmonella in humans. J Infect Dis 190:1755-7.
20. Karakousis, P. C., W. R. Bishai, and S. E. Dorman. 2004. Mycobacterium tuberculosis cell envelope lipids and the host immune response. Cell Microbiol 6:105-16.
21. Dorman, S. E., C. Picard, D. Lammas, K. Heyne, J. T. van Dissel, R. Baretto, S. D. Rosenzweig, M. Newport, M. Levin, J. Roesler, D. Kumararatne, J. L. Casanova, and S. M. Holland. 2004. Clinical features of dominant and recessive interferon gamma receptor 1 deficiencies. Lancet 364:2113-21.
22. Dorman, S. E., C. L. Hatem, S. Tyagi, K. Aird, J. Lopez-Molina, M. L. Pitt, B. C. Zook, A. M. Dannenberg, Jr., W. R. Bishai, and Y. C. Manabe. 2004. Susceptibility to tuberculosis: clues from studies with inbred and outbred New Zealand White rabbits. Infect Immun 72:1700-5.
23. Conde, M. B., P. Suffys, E. S. J. R. Lapa, A. L. Kritski, and S. E. Dorman. 2004. Immunoglobulin A (IgA) and IgG immune responses against P-90 antigen for diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis and screening for Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 11:94-7.
24. Ginsburg, A. S., S. C. Woolwine, N. Hooper, W. H. Benjamin, Jr., W. R. Bishai, S. E. Dorman, and T. R. Sterling. 2003. The rapid development of fluoroquinolone resistance in M. tuberculosis. N Engl J Med 349:1977-8.
25. Ginsburg, A. S., N. Hooper, N. Parrish, K. E. Dooley, S. E. Dorman, J. Booth, M. Diener-West, W. G. Merz, W. R. Bishai, and T. R. Sterling. 2003. Fluoroquinolone resistance in patients with newly diagnosed tuberculosis. Clin Infect Dis 37:1448-52.
26. Dowdy, D. W., A. Maters, N. Parrish, C. Beyrer, and S. E. Dorman. 2003. Cost-effectiveness analysis of the gen-probe amplified Mycobacterium tuberculosis direct test as used routinely on smear-positive respiratory specimens. J Clin Microbiol 41:948-53.
27. Dickerman, R. D., Q. E. Stevens, R. Rak, S. E. Dorman, S. M. Holland, and T. T. Nguyen. 2003. Isolated intracranial infection with Mycobacterium avium complex. J Neurosurg Sci 47:101-5; discussion 105.
28. Conville, P. S., J. M. Brown, A. G. Steigerwalt, J. W. Lee, D. E. Byrer, V. L. Anderson, S. E. Dorman, S. M. Holland, B. Cahill, K. C. Carroll, and F. G. Witebsky. 2003. Nocardia veterana as a pathogen in North American patients. J Clin Microbiol 41:2560-8.
29. Rosenzweig, S., S. E. Dorman, J. Roesler, J. Palacios, M. Zelazko, and S. M. Holland. 2002. 561del4 defines a novel small deletion hotspot in the interferon-gamma receptor 1 chain. Clin Immunol 102:25-7.
30. Park, W. G., W. R. Bishai, R. E. Chaisson, and S. E. Dorman. 2002. Performance of the microscopic observation drug susceptibility assay in drug susceptibility testing for Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J Clin Microbiol 40:4750-2.
31. Gounder, C., F. C. De Queiroz Mello, M. B. Conde, W. R. Bishai, A. L. Kritski, R. E. Chaisson, and S. E. Dorman. 2002. Field evaluation of a rapid immunochromatographic test for tuberculosis. J Clin Microbiol 40:1989-93.
32. Dorman, S. E., S. V. Guide, P. S. Conville, E. S. DeCarlo, H. L. Malech, J. I. Gallin, F. G. Witebsky, and S. M. Holland. 2002. Nocardia infection in chronic granulomatous disease. Clin Infect Dis 35:390-4.
33. Sterling, T. R., S. E. Dorman, R. E. Chaisson, L. Ding, J. Hackman, K. Moore, and S. M. Holland. 2001. Human immunodeficiency virus-seronegative adults with extrapulmonary tuberculosis have abnormal innate immune responses. Clin Infect Dis 33:976-82.
34. Dorman, S. E., and S. M. Holland. 2000. Interferon-gamma and interleukin-12 pathway defects and human disease. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 11:321-33.
35. Dorman, S. E., M. E. Cannon, S. R. Telford, 3rd, K. M. Frank, and W. H. Churchill. 2000. Fulminant babesiosis treated with clindamycin, quinine, and whole-blood exchange transfusion. Transfusion 40:375-80.
36. Lekstrom-Himes, J. A., S. E. Dorman, P. Kopar, S. M. Holland, and J. I. Gallin. 1999. Neutrophil-specific granule deficiency results from a novel mutation with loss of function of the transcription factor CCAAT/enhancer binding protein epsilon. J Exp Med 189:1847-52.
37. Jouanguy, E., S. Lamhamedi-Cherradi, D. Lammas, S. E. Dorman, M. C. Fondaneche, S. Dupuis, R. Doffinger, F. Altare, J. Girdlestone, J. F. Emile, H. Ducoulombier, D. Edgar, J. Clarke, V. A. Oxelius, M. Brai, V. Novelli, K. Heyne, A. Fischer, S. M. Holland, D. S. Kumararatne, R. D. Schreiber, and J. L. Casanova. 1999. A human IFNGR1 small deletion hotspot associated with dominant susceptibility to mycobacterial infection. Nat Genet 21:370-8.
38. Fleisher, T. A., S. E. Dorman, J. A. Anderson, M. Vail, M. R. Brown, and S. M. Holland. 1999. Detection of intracellular phosphorylated STAT-1 by flow cytometry. Clin Immunol 90:425-30.
39. Dorman, S. E., G. Uzel, J. Roesler, J. S. Bradley, J. Bastian, G. Billman, S. King, A. Filie, J. Schermerhorn, and S. M. Holland. 1999. Viral infections in interferon-gamma receptor deficiency. J Pediatr 135:640-3.
40. Holland, S. M., S. E. Dorman, A. Kwon, I. F. Pitha-Rowe, D. M. Frucht, S. M. Gerstberger, G. J. Noel, P. Vesterhus, M. R. Brown, and T. A. Fleisher. 1998. Abnormal regulation of interferon-gamma, interleukin-12, and tumor necrosis factor-alpha in human interferon-gamma receptor 1 deficiency. J Infect Dis 178:1095-104.
41. Dorman, S. E., and S. M. Holland. 1998. Mutation in the signal-transducing chain of the interferon-gamma receptor and susceptibility to mycobacterial infection. J Clin Invest 101:2364-9.
42. Dorman, S. E., H. M. Heller, N. O. Basgoz, and P. E. Sax. 1998. Adjunctive corticosteroid therapy for patients whose treatment for disseminated Mycobacterium avium complex infection has failed. Clin Infect Dis 26:682-6.
43. Dorman, S. E., V. J. Gill, J. I. Gallin, and S. M. Holland. 1998. Burkholderia pseudomallei infection in a Puerto Rican patient with chronic granulomatous disease: case report and review of occurrences in the Americas. Clin Infect Dis 26:889-94.